Thoughts on the 2600 vs. 8600k and possibly 9600K

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
The following graph is the reason, why I suggested a 2600X to the rig a friend of mine is building (much to my own surprise btw, he was at the cost level where I would have otherwise suggested 8700K):

The prices in Europe are mad: Currently a 8700K costs 470€ (was 450€ last week), even the 8400 is 307.32€. In comparison the 2600X is 233.24€ and vanilla 2600 is only 169.90€.

This is the Mindfactory.de data for september (Intel currently hovering at 25% market share)

rqaGg9e.png

[source]

Well "Germans are on smart buy plan", or for AMD side R5 1600 is best seling CPU without any competition.

As far i now, Mindfactory is only retailer who has CPU sales statistic or "uber verkauft" numbers.

Who cares for 8400 it can cost 500$, nobody cares when you can buy beeter CPU for less money.

https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Prozessoren+(CPU)/AMD+Desktop.html

https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Prozessoren+(CPU)/INTEL+Desktop.html

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I do as anyone who used a Northcut and Prescott. I am not talking about all of a sudden a bunch of SMT threads is going to make everything a millions times faster. Suggesting that, that is what I am thinking is frankly insulting. Over all computing power wins in a vacuum which is why the 8600k/9600k seems like such a better buy than a 2600x (though I would say that the 2600x fits a little bellow it in cost so there is a money saving option there). But people don't use their PC's in a vacuum.

So here is a question. Do you know how a CPU handles a new process that needs computer cycles? Do you know what SMT threads do? Do you really not understand why a fully tapped out CPU without SMT would see a significant drop in performance when the CPU needs to do something else for the system, where a CPU with SMT wouldn't. Which is my entire point. As it is with new cutting edge games of 2016 till now a 4c even 8t CPU is riding at 100% CPU usage. An 8T cpu can at least make room for other things without tanking a cores works in games while it is doing its doing other work. If and I'll give you an if rather than when, even if I think its a when and the when is pretty close, games start to try to send to the CPU more than 4 cores than just like with the the 7600 now. When you use it in a real machine, a computer that's sole job isn't to run one game and absolutely nothing else so windows never interferes, when anything happens in the back ground one or more cores are stolen for that job and cause frame rates to tank. This is why when Ryzen users talked of more fluid and stable performance back when it launched, something X79+ guys have known for years. It isn't the placebo that people played it off as.

You are basically just revealing that you don't really understand modern preemptive multi-tasking OS and multi-threaded code.

You just keep falling back to, But HT/SMT is magic...

The most modern games are running dozens of threads. Single threads don't lock cores in modern OC/code. Every CPU core is running dozens of threads, and they get a time slice on a core. At any second, when busy, your system has HUNDREDS of threads in flight, my system currently near idle, and still has over a thousand threads, though most a idle at any time.

It is nonsensical to think a couple of extra logical threads from HT/SMT on a CPU matters when you are time slicing hundreds of threads.

All that really matters, is the overall CPU power. HT/SMT matters, but it only matters in the degree that contributes to the overall CPU Power.

SMT/HT simply allows more efficient use CPU pipeline resources. Any given piece of code, typically can't use all the pipelines resources, SMT/HT enable higher usage of that pipeline, and thus improving performance. The benefit isn't one more logical thread, it's the full utilization, so another overall 25-30% performance. That extra performance matters much more than 1 more logical thread in the sea of hundreds of threads your CPU is time slicing.

You are overly fixated on CPU thread count like we were still in the era of cooperative multitasking, when it is something nearly irrelevant in the modern context with hundreds of time sliced threads in flight in any given second.

Reactions: William Gaatjes

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
8700K is currently $399 on Amazon.com, so it looks like the short supply may be impacting the US as well...

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Now that the new intel chips are out. Thoughts on ranking the CPU's based on value/performance. I am looking to build something around either a 9600K, 2700 or 2600. Looking for the best value right now. On a side note. If I go the AMD route, I have a R3 1200 system that I could swap out any AMD CPU in a build once Zen 2 is released. Retiring the R3 1200. Or I could buy one and done 9600K on the current Intel platform before the next motherboard iteration is released.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Hard to beat the value of a 6c/12t Ryzen 2600, especially when it has been on sale for $149.99 most of the week along with an additional 15% back in the form of Newegg.com gift card on a single order (I think a little less than 4 hours left on that deal). Some decent combo deals to be had.

Reactions: epsilon84

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Now that the new intel chips are out. Thoughts on ranking the CPU's based on value/performance. I am looking to build something around either a 9600K, 2700 or 2600. Looking for the best value right now. On a side note. If I go the AMD route, I have a R3 1200 system that I could swap out any AMD CPU in a build once Zen 2 is released. Retiring the R3 1200. Or I could buy one and done 9600K on the current Intel platform before the next motherboard iteration is released.
One and done 9600k overclocked.
By the time you buy the next 2 AMD cpu's to match the overclocked performance it will be 4 years from now and you would have spent the same amount of money on AMD cpu's.
Just get it over with!

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Hard to beat the value of a 6c/12t Ryzen 2600, especially when it has been on sale for $149.99 most of the week along with an additional 15% back in the form of Newegg.com gift card on a single order (I think a little less than 4 hours left on that deal). Some decent combo deals to be had.
I think if I go the Ryzen route. I would want a x470 over an x370. There was a combo deal with an x370 board.

Last edited: