Thoughts On GPU Physics

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
Starcraft II uses Havoc physics, so ATI video cards may have an advantage there, since Nvidia doesn't support Havoc.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Kuzi
Startcraft II uses Havoc physics, so ATI video cards may have an advantage there, since Nvidia doesn't support Havoc.

ATI cards don't support Havok either. :p

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: aka1nas
Startcraft II uses Havoc physics, so ATI video cards may have an advantage there, since Nvidia doesn't support Havoc.

Actually they do. They just haven't publically released a driver for it, but they have demoed it a year or so ago.

Dillybob

Jun 24, 2008
CURRENTLY there is no Video card that runs havok physics, though. It's done by the CPU, currently. Mostly software. Who knows if ATI will actually come out with the drivers? We'll just have to wait and see.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Dillybob
CURRENTLY there is no Video card that runs havok physics, though. It's done by the CPU, currently. Mostly software. Who knows if ATI will actually come out with the drivers? We'll just have to wait and see.

Excuse me? ATI have been demoing Havok on their video cards as far back as 2006. As I said - they haven't released drivers to the public yet, but they ARE doing it on the GPU.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD

Excuse me? ATI have been demoing Havok on their video cards as far back as 2006. As I said - they haven't released drivers to the public yet, but they ARE doing it on the GPU.

It's vaporware until they actually release something. The fact that it's been 2 years since the demo makes it less credible, not more.

More importantly, that article is regarding HavokFX, which is SM 3.0 based. No shipping games support HavokFX, which is a different product from the software-based Havok package.

AMD supporting GPU-assisted Havok is a non-starter if they are relying on HavokFX, as no existing games using Havok will then be accelerated.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

That was Havok FX, a special version of Havok that only did second-order physics (i.e. physics that don't impact the game) and ran on the GPU via SM3 code. It didn't work out, Havok killed the project in the middle of 2007. There is currently no way to run first-order Havok physics on a GPU, and it looks like there's nothing in development that will change that either.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004

It's vaporware until they actually release something. The fact that it's been 2 years since the demo makes it less credible, not more.

More importantly, that article is regarding HavokFX, which is SM 3.0 based. No shipping games support HavokFX, which is a different product from the software-based Havok package.

AMD supporting GPU-assisted Havok is a non-starter if they are relying on HavokFX, as no existing games using Havok will then be accelerated.

From Guru3d
GPU Computing -- Much like NVIDIA just announced with the help of CUDA, ATI (AMD) recently announced cooperation with Intel's HAVOC engine. Though currently far less substantial, PhysX calculations over the GPU are in the work. As it works right now (example debris/cloth) physics calculations are computed over the CPU with games that support the HAVOK API. AMD is working on moving these functions to the GPU. Thus have the stream processors (shader engine) compute these functions.

It's work in progress and during a recent press-briefing we asked when we can expect driver support for GPU HAVOK physics. The answer was unfortunately a bit cold. It could be a matter of two months, yet also easily be the end of the year. Fact remains though that the Series 4000 do support the feature and AMD's driver team is working on it.

There are reports that AMD has signed a 'significant title' to DX10.1 with Blizzard and a few other developers, chances are that it's SC2- anyway I'd imagine SC2 will run well on a X1900 or similar since Blizzard usually make very capable engines.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

From Guru3d
GPU Computing -- Much like NVIDIA just announced with the help of CUDA, ATI (AMD) recently announced cooperation with Intel's HAVOC engine. Though currently far less substantial, PhysX calculations over the GPU are in the work. As it works right now (example debris/cloth) physics calculations are computed over the CPU with games that support the HAVOK API. AMD is working on moving these functions to the GPU. Thus have the stream processors (shader engine) compute these functions.

It's work in progress and during a recent press-briefing we asked when we can expect driver support for GPU HAVOK physics. The answer was unfortunately a bit cold. It could be a matter of two months, yet also easily be the end of the year. Fact remains though that the Series 4000 do support the feature and AMD's driver team is working on it.

There are reports that AMD has signed a 'significant title' to DX10.1 with Blizzard and a few other developers, chances are that it's SC2- anyway I'd imagine SC2 will run well on a X1900 or similar since Blizzard usually make very capable engines.
Normally I'd trust Guru3D, but that seems like really shoddy reporting, and the writing errors just in 2 paragraphs aren't helping them out. There's certainly a number of reasons why this would not be true (as if Intel wants their baby running on GPUs and lessening the value of CPUs) and I have not seen anyone else able to corroborate such a thing. It all stems from that one press release which seems more and more like it was just a strategic release against NVIDIA, since both Havok and AMD compete against them.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Again, that's Havok FX, a crummy second-order physics system that's been dead for a year.

From that page:
ATI is working with Havok and their Havok FX? effects physics engine

It sounds to me that it is not just Havok FX they are talking about.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chiropteran
Again, that's Havok FX, a crummy second-order physics system that's been dead for a year.

From that page:

That page is from 2006. Notice how all of the references are to the X1000 series; I can dig up the AT article referencing it if you'd like. And it is just referring to Havok FX, let me break it down:

ATI[the video card maker] is working with Havok[the company] and their Havok FX[the product] effects physics engine.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Ah, I guess I misinterpreted the "and", I see you are correct. Still, at this point I am interested in just as many Havok FX games as I am interested in GPU-accelerated PhysX games: zero. I don't really think it's fair to complain about Havok FX being dead when there isn't a *worthwhile* game out there that makes use of GPU based PhysX.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

From that page:

They are working with Intel and Havok on doing it, but its not for current cards. They are working on it for the future.

The 48xx cards WILL NOT EVER accelerate Havok. Future ATI and Intel discrete graphics will in all likelyhood move Havok to the GPU, but thats probably not going to happen until sometime in 2009.

As for DX 10.1, by the time Starcraft 2 comes out Nvidia will have a DirectX 11 part. DirectX 11 is coming before Windows 7. DX 11 is said to be released sometime next spring/summer.

DX 10.1 is fairly worthless. It is a microevolutionary step over DX 10 that only a hanful of games will ever use. DX 11 will be completely revolutionary step for desktop graphics.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Ah, I guess I misinterpreted the "and", I see you are correct. Still, at this point I am interested in just as many Havok FX games as I am interested in GPU-accelerated PhysX games: zero. I don't really think it's fair to complain about Havok FX being dead when there isn't a *worthwhile* game out there that makes use of GPU based PhysX.
Who said I was complaining?:p I'm happy, it was a bloody-awful system since it was all second-order physics and I'm glad it's dead.:D

Anyhow, if we want to talk about this any more, we need to spin off a new thread. We shouldn't be cluttering up a Starcraft thread with unrelated stuff.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Unreal 3, and all future games based off of the Unreal Engine, will be PhysX enabled.

BioWare will also be releasing PhysX enabled games.

While there arent many PhysX titles now, there will be far more PhysX titles out by time Intel/ATI/Havok have GPU Accelerated Havock. Hardware based PhysX is VASTLY superior to software based Havok.

Finally, there will be a crapload more PhysX enabled games, than there will ever be DX 10.1 games. Hell there are probably already more PhysX games than there will ever be DX 10.1 games. Hell right now there are more Physx enabled games, than there are DX 10 games.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004

Wreckem:
They are working with Intel and Havok on doing it, but its not for current cards. They are working on it for the future.

The 48xx cards WILL NOT EVER accelerate Havok. Future ATI and Intel discrete graphics will in all likelyhood move Havok to the GPU, but thats probably not going to happen until sometime in 2009.

No, they do and will. From Guru3d

Hardware Canucks also mention Havok Here

Wreckem:
As for DX 10.1, by the time Starcraft 2 comes out Nvidia will have a DirectX 11 part. DirectX 11 is coming before Windows 7. DX 11 is said to be released sometime next spring/summer.

Starcraft 2 is expected to turn up H1 09 if not Christmas this year, there will be no DX11 or Windows 7- you have no idea when Nvidia or ATI will have support for DX11 so it's silly to propose this information as fact, it is likely that they will have support at around the same time given what we have seen in the past.

Wreckem:
DX 10.1 is fairly worthless. It is a microevolutionary step over DX 10 that only a hanful of games will ever use. DX 11 will be completely revolutionary step for desktop graphics.

There are plenty of articles out there on this, DX10.1 is not worthless and it is very important since it makes the developers job easier. Not to mention it has the potential to run alot faster due to one less render pass, we saw this evident in Assasins Creed.

Wreckem:
Unreal 3, and all future games based off of the Unreal Engine, will be PhysX enabled.

Unreal Engine 3 does not mean guaranteed PhysX- the engine has the potential to but does not support it on every title. Mass Effect does not have PhysX, Gears of War and Bioshock are the same, infact UT3 is the only UE3 game for the PC that supports hardware accelerated Physics, with the others it is up to the developer to implement it.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: tuteja1986

http://ati.amd.com/technology/...ire/physics/index.html

yes they are :! driver should be out soon

how is Havok physic dead ?

Alan Wake
Fallout 3
Starcarft
Diablo 3

Also few other games that will be announced in E3 2008 that will support Havok at Microsoft press conference. I think its far from dead.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999

http://ati.amd.com/technology/...ire/physics/index.html

yes they are :! driver should be out soon

how is Havok physic dead ?

Alan Wake
Fallout 3
Starcarft
Diablo 3

Also few other games that will be announced in E3 2008 that will support Havok at Microsoft press conference. I think its far from dead.
But not Havok FX. Havok FX is quite dead. Those are just more games that use the Havok software package, just like the hundreds of other games already out there.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
The guys in a Starcraft 2 thread started an interesting side discussion about physics, so interesting that I split it off rather than mess up the Starcraft thread.;) Here it is in its entirety, I may have messed up the order on a message or two though.:Q

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
Yeah. Some of you guys are confusing the Havoc Physics engine that is already running in at least 45 PC games. It uses the extra processing power of the CPU cores in your system, dual cores, quad cores etc. Havoc is still not running on GPUs yet, but hopefully will soon.

AMD recently announced plans to optimize Havoc physics for their hardware. I think here they are mostly talking about CPUs, but some parts of the Physics engine would be able to run on a GPU (and run very fast).

At the link Havoc mentions:"The clear priority of game developers is performance and scalability on the CPU. Beyond core simulation, however, the capabilities of massively parallel products offer technical possibilities for computing certain types of simulation. We look forward to working with AMD to explore these possibilities."

The massively parallel part is about GPUs, so in the future it's very possible we'll see games physics running on CPUs but improved or "sped up" even more when running on ATI video cards (RV6xx, RV7xx etc).

At least that's how I understood it.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I'm actually pretty excited about it after seeing a decent frame rate boost in Mass Effect with the 177.41 PhysX drivers. I also upgraded my platform as well, but I don't think that was enough by itself to increase FPS averages of 45 or so to 62 capped in ME.

Until Havok is actually running on GPU SPs I don't think its a big deal, it has been running on CPUs for as long as its been around and that level of support will not change whether you run an Intel or AMD CPU. Pretty sure PhysX is an open standard so hopefully ATI/AMD adopts it, as I think PhysX is the better non-CPU implementation right now.

Here's a recent comparison of GPU/CPU/PPU PhysX from TechGage in UT3. Keep in mind, they are using a special PhysX map pack. You can see there's some huge gains at 1680 with both GPU and PPU PhysX but those gains largely go away as there's most likely less extra SP power for PhysX.

I'm quite sure Crysis would run much better with an accelerated physics engine and after watching at the Diablo 3 trailer, I'm really hoping they implement some type of non-CPU hardware accelaration there as well.

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem

From that page:

I don't know where you come up with your "48xx cards WILL NOT EVER accelerate Havok" theory from. There are several GPGPU features built into the 4800 series that could easily make this possible. That's like saying the G80 will never support PhysX last year (obviously that would have been a crappy prediction now eh?) All it takes is a driver that converts Havok to CAL/Brook+/OpenCL type calls and you've got your accelerated Havok on the 4800.

If DX10.1 is so "microevolutionary" over 10.0 you really should ask yourself why Nvidia couldn't just include this in their $650 card.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I like this thread. I know that Havok is working closely with AMD. But are you guys sure that Havok(INTEL) wants to do pyhsics on a gpu??? This doesn't seem right. Looking at What intel is trying to do with larrabee 16-24-cores each can do 4 threads in 16 core =64 threads 24 core =96 threads . So I believe that Intel the owner of Havok is working hard on physics for x86 processors. Its what I would do . how about you. what would you do if you were intel .

I myself want physics done on the x86 core . In an intel larrabee that would equal on a nehalem system 8 threads to do physics + the 64/96 threads that larrabbee could excelerate the process . Which is the time period were discussing.We should also remember that ATI is not going for bigger more powerful single cores. AMD/ATI want multi cores . So ATI 's transitor overhead will be less than NV . Better for ATI to do physics on the cpu since AMD has 4core processors todo this work .

I also feel its important but i won't link . To discuss what NV was saying about physics befor intel bought Havok . Seems to be 2 differant stories being told by the same company (NV).

IS this important ? Yes it is for debate. AS we can read what the same company says about physics befor INTEL bought Havok and after. Both stories cann't be true so which is it.