Thoughts on Dying Light?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I loved Dead Island. I finished the game 2x .I really liked the atmosphere, the crafting, the graphics, etc. The downside was it was much of the same thing once you played it long enough. You kill zombies, loot for spare parts, and you try to survive. I've been playing DL for a week now, and the game reminds me of what DI should had been. There is more variety. It has day/night cycles, etc. You really have to think about your strategy when you play the game. If your goal kis to kill zombies you're going to be in trouble because eventually your luck will run out, death is imminent and you'll lose survivor points. I've lost 4000 survivor points 3X before. The game does punish the player for dying. I actually like it. I'm currently playing on hard mode.

What are your thoughts on DL? Did you like it? Not like the game? I must be addicted because I played for 9 hours straight. My back is KILLING me. lol. I usually just lone wolf it. You can really get lost in the city of Hurron. It's a big city with a lot to do. The virals are ab pain in the ass, but kicking them in the head while standing on a building does the trick, or using chinese burning stars is a great way to get rid of them. Well unless their are 3 or more. I'll run away then.

BTW, what is the best strategy to play this game? The zombies and humans seem way overpowered. For example, I can hit a zombie 10x before I kill it. Same with the humans. When I had to break in and save the scientist I would shoot the bad guys a ton and nothing. I realized that I had to sneak in first. lol. But, after I've sneaked in and gone head to head with the bad guys, it gets very difficult to kill them. I've read that you should do plenty of the side quest before engaging with the main story. The side quest will allow you to build up your character. Is there any truth to that strategy? Thanks...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I like it, but because of the long story with mostly unskippable cutscenes, it takes too long, and I never went back for a second playthru.

I'll tell you one thing, I NEVER get tired of cracking skulls. Its the most satisfying feeling in the whole wide world.

Reactions: Igo69

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I like it, but because of the long story with mostly unskippable cutscenes, it takes too long, and I never went back for a second playthru.

I'll tell you one thing, I NEVER get tired of cracking skulls. Its the most satisfying feeling in the whole wide world.

You can pass thru the cut scenes by pressing on the space bar.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Love this game i am replaying it for the 3rd time. Finished playing it few days ago now i am on The Following expansion. The only thing i hate about this game is the volatile. It's almost impossible to kill them especially with bad or low tier weapons and you are dead no matter what if 3 attacking you. It's very dumb idea to make them so powerful.

If it's hard to kill zombies than your weapons are weak. You need to get higher tier weapons like gold tier but they are rare or you can get them through certain missions. Also you have to hit their heads for most damage to kill them faster.

Refer to this guide for finding useful stuff in the game like blueprints... https://guides.gamepressure.com/dyinglight/

Techland is working on Dying Light 2 and supposedly to come out at the end of this year but with this pandemic it probably will be postponed

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Love this game i am replaying it for the 3rd time. Finished playing it few days ago now i am on The Following expansion. The only thing i hate about this game is the volatile. It's almost impossible to kill them especially with bad or low tier weapons and you are dead no matter what if 3 attacking you. It's very dumb idea to make them so powerful.

If it's hard to kill zombies than your weapons are weak. You need to get higher tier weapons like gold tier but they are rare or you can get them through certain missions. Also you have to hit their heads for most damage to kill them faster.

Refer to this guide for finding useful stuff in the game like blueprints... https://guides.gamepressure.com/dyinglight/

Techland is working on Dying Light 2 and supposedly to come out at the end of this year but with this pandemic it probably will be postponed

I found an awesome way to kill them. If you hear a volatile rushing immediately get to a high area like a building or train. Next, as they are attempting to climb up you kick them in the head. After falling 5-6x they are dead. Another tactic is to use the burning throwing star. One hit and they die. I keep those stars around for the volatiles and the green spitting toxic guys. I hated the volatiles as well, until I learned this tactic. I'm playing on hard BTW.

Thanks for guide. I'll check it out.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Throwing weapons do massive damage to volatiles. The moment I learned how to deal with them, I wasn't hesitant to venture out at night anymore (especially in those infected zones in The Following). The DLC added so much more to the game and it was just a blast from start to finish. My only issue was the damage on guns were wildly RNG-heavy. I found a pistol in the very first cop car I checked that I didn't replace until I had moved on to the DLC.

Also, the hidden schematics (easter eggs?) that give you specialized weapons is a really cool touch. I constantly get reminders about new updates to Dying Light and it's been slowly drawing me back to the point I re-installed it last night for another run. All that being said, I think the best part of the game was how seamlessly they worked in the parkour mechanic, especially with the hook you get later. Being able to reach high places easily made the game a blast to just run around.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Throwing weapons do massive damage to volatiles. The moment I learned how to deal with them, I wasn't hesitant to venture out at night anymore (especially in those infected zones in The Following). The DLC added so much more to the game and it was just a blast from start to finish. My only issue was the damage on guns were wildly RNG-heavy. I found a pistol in the very first cop car I checked that I didn't replace until I had moved on to the DLC.

Also, the hidden schematics (easter eggs?) that give you specialized weapons is a really cool touch. I constantly get reminders about new updates to Dying Light and it's been slowly drawing me back to the point I re-installed it last night for another run. All that being said, I think the best part of the game was how seamlessly they worked in the parkour mechanic, especially with the hook you get later. Being able to reach high places easily made the game a blast to just run around.

I restated a new game and they are having the weekend event with the volatile rush. Lol, I got bum rushed by 10 volatiles. It sucks because I'm level 1. I can't even clear out the first safe zone without being swarmed by these freaks. I turned off community events. Hope this helps.

BTW, it's awesome that Techland is still supporting the game, 5 years later.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea it takes a little bit getting in but once you get into the meat of it the game is actually pretty hard to put down. There's just a lot there.

It's a pretty sizable improvement over Dead Island, which was mostly boring AF

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've always been curious about this game but thanks to the naming and some of the gameplay elements I always get "Dead by Daylight" and "Dying Light" mixed up.

Sounds like the Zombie survival game I've been looking for, I'll check it out...

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I liked it, I finished the base game one time. I had fun. I really liked the general ambiance / atmosphere. The story was 'ok', passable, but nothing incredible.

I got the expansion (or the DLC, not sure how they call it) with the continuation of the base game in the countryside with the buggy. I played that for around an hour or so, got the buggy, drove a bit with it, ran into some zombies and suddenly lost pretty much all interest for the game. I haven't touched it since. I might have been in the wrong mood during that time to continue playing it, not sure. Maybe I'll try it again one day.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I restated a new game and they are having the weekend event with the volatile rush. Lol, I got bum rushed by 10 volatiles. It sucks because I'm level 1. I can't even clear out the first safe zone without being swarmed by these freaks. I turned off community events. Hope this helps.

BTW, it's awesome that Techland is still supporting the game, 5 years later.
It's a Viral rush, not Volatile. Two different things but yeah I recently restarted and got so confused by the sheer amount of virals running around. It wasn't until I asked about it on the Steam discussions that I was informed about community events. This one lasts until the 27th (tomorrow) and gives a few rewards for completion.

If anyone is missing the "This is Harran" achievement where you have to kill 100 enemies by kicking them off rooftops, this is the best chance to get it easily since virals will climb buildings to get to you. Not to mention you can run down a street and gather an easy 20 virals chasing you.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It's a Viral rush, not Volatile. Two different things but yeah I recently restarted and got so confused by the sheer amount of virals running around. It wasn't until I asked about it on the Steam discussions that I was informed about community events. This one lasts until the 27th (tomorrow) and gives a few rewards for completion.

If anyone is missing the "This is Harran" achievement where you have to kill 100 enemies by kicking them off rooftops, this is the best chance to get it easily since virals will climb buildings to get to you. Not to mention you can run down a street and gather an easy 20 virals chasing you.

Oh yea. Virals. I got the two mixed up. I turned off community events and that fixed it. Love the idea though, but I'm level 1, and I'm playing on hard.

I'll wiat for the next event. When I bought the game a few weeks ago they had zombies with a box on their head. I was brand new to the game so I had zero idea why.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I loved it. The first time I played it, I got distracted by some other game and only made it about halfway through (but was having a blast up to that point). The second time I completed the main story, but having essentially all the upgrades at that point, the DLC didn't lure me in enough. I keep hearing how great the DLC is though (The Following), so I'm going to have to dive back in, perhaps sometime soon.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'd like to try it but I'm not paying $40 for a 5 year old game.
If you're not opposed to grey market sites, cdkeys has it for $13.99 right now. You can find it around that price occasionally from Steam or other non-grey market sites.

Reactions: DooKey

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'd like to try it but I'm not paying $40 for a 5 year old game.

Put it in your wish list, and when it goes on sale Steam will let you know. That is how I bought my copy. It was $13 I believe. I did the same with Serious Sam3. The game normally sells for $30, I was able to purchase it for $3 and change when it went on sale. But, what Stg-Flame had stated, the game is still beautiful and there is a TON of content. They still have events as well.

Reactions: DooKey

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I've put 180 hours into it, so I guess you could say I like it. Like F.E.A.R - it's a game I go back to once a year and replay. Solid game, good looking, and once you start building Crane's stats it just gets more fun - and the developers keep having special events for weapons and items. It's also on sale all the time - just keep an eye out if you don't want to spend a ton of money. cdkeys has it for 13.99.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Thought I'd check back in to say I just picked up the Enhanced package of Dying Light for $19.46 on a Steam sale. Going to give it a try today.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Thought I'd check back in to say I just picked up the Enhanced package of Dying Light for $19.46 on a Steam sale. Going to give it a try today.

Good luck. You just missed the event they had this weekend. Check on Fridays for events. They'll have them evey few weeks. They offer weapons, xp bonuses. Back in the first week of May they offered double xp. It was a good way to skill up much quicker. Gluck.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Hey, have you been playing the game? If so, how do you like it?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I toss a lot of games after playing only a few hours, something rubs me the wrong way and its out.
For this game it was the zombie homing in on me like they had a gps tracker on me, dont matter whats between you and them, elevation, brick walls, whatever, just magically knows where you are at all times and the algorithm was *SO* obvious it felt like something out of a Commodore-64 game.

Game over. Next.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
If you loved dead island then Dying light will blow your mind, (well maybe thats a bit much to expect but its great!). I too loved Dead Island and Dying Light is so much better. What a fantastic game. Easily one of the best games I've played.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I toss a lot of games after playing only a few hours, something rubs me the wrong way and its out.
For this game it was the zombie homing in on me like they had a gps tracker on me, dont matter whats between you and them, elevation, brick walls, whatever, just magically knows where you are at all times and the algorithm was *SO* obvious it felt like something out of a Commodore-64 game.

Game over. Next.
Its not a fighting game.
Its an evasion game.

Unfortunately most people play it like a fighting game because they didnt make that point obvious to the players at the beginning.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

Game over. Next.
Except you're completely wrong. You can evade zombies and virals rather easily. If you just run in a straight line, then yeah, they're going to follow you. Turning corners and climbing buildings make evasion so simple a child could figure it out. But given your childish response, I don't expect to change your mind on this.