Those with ATi Graphics, E4300 OC'd, and a asrock 4coredual mobo, or maybe others?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I have the mentioned setup (below) and it was driving me nuts. Overclocked to 310 FSB, no pin or volt mod, it would run 3dmark2001 with no problems, or artifacts.

When I tried 2003 however big time artifacts in the nature portion, and never went further then that.

In 2005 big time artifacts right off the bat in the first part of the tests. This pissed me off because I got nothing weird in 2001. So I backed it down to 300, same results, just not near as bad. Backed it down to 295 fsb, and passed 2005 without a single artifact, but still had weird graphical artifacts in 2003 still in the nature part, still not as bad, but shadows were missing or off, as in not looking right, and had triangular things shooting off objects all over the screen.

Backed it downto 290 and it all went away in every test. Now I have my settings in bios at async, so that my PCI-E and PCI slots are not going up with the cpu fsb, and there is no problems in getting into windows, or any windows program at 310fsb, but till I hit 315fsb, I get windows booting errors, or no booting at all. To the best I can think of, cpu overclocking should not of made all the artifacts I was seeing, for it looked as if I was overclocking the gpu and memory, badly, for I know what that looks like, I have done it a few times in the past with other cards, IE 9500pro turned into a 9700pro. I had one when using the modded driver would make these same type of weird graphical artifacts I was seeing, and I had another that would mod with no problems at all into a 9700pro.

So this got me thinking, at the time I had ATi's latest driver installed, so I removed it and installed the driver that came with my graphics card and low and behold not a single artifact all the way back up to 310fsb, in any of my programs. So today I decided to try the driver again from ATi thinking maybe I had a bad install of it. Removed all the ATi stuff, re-downloaded the driver again, and installed it yet again. Same results, artifacts again, the exact same way in, all with the same fsb till it would all go away when I would back it down to 290fsb.

So because of this I thought I would tell all about my findings, in hopes of helping a few with the same hardware, that may be getting artifacts as I was, thinking there cpu isnt the greatest, or their card may be messed up. Uninstall your latest driver and install the one that came with your video card and post your results, and lets see if ATi has a true problem, if this happens on more then just my rig.

My hardware:
E4300 oc'd to 2.8
Asrock 4coredual-vsta 1.7 bios
Creative X-FImusic
1 gig of Kingston DDR2 667 ram running at 533 cas 5
ATi Build X1900GT

I hope this helps some of you out there, and if this did, please post so, and I will take our findings to ATi so they can hopefully find the bug that is causing the artifats with the newest driver.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
I haven't had any issue with my setup at all, i'm currently using the cat 7.4's.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Stumps
I haven't had any issue with my setup at all, i'm currently using the cat 7.4's.

mine is the older version of the MB .. no problems ... 7.4's ... rig in sig

OP, are you using the latest BIOS? ... no heat issues with either your CPU or GPU?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Stumps

mine is the older version of the MB .. no problems ... 7.4's ... rig in sig

OP, are you using the latest BIOS? ... no heat issues with either your CPU or GPU?

Nope no heat issues at all with either, I upgraded my GPU with a much better hs and ram coolers, so it now runs no hotter then 58 at a load, and my cpu goes no further then 55 with a load running at 310fsb.

Bus as soon as I uninstall my driver that came on the cd, and install the 7.4, all of it goes to hell with graphical errors, and it all goes away when I switch back, and can once again pump my system back up to 300 fsb.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
try 7.3 ... work backwards ... the one on the CD is pretty old

using CCC or Tray tools ?
... try the 'other one' ;)

no oc'ing on the "gt", right?

Nope no overclocking of the gt, and that was going to be my next thing to try on it, was to go backwards and find one that will work and see if in fact it is the 7.4 and my card. I know the ATI built GT runs faster then all other GT at 575 core vs 500 on the others, so I was going to try to down the gpu as well and see if that has anything to do with it.

I actually kinda like doing this, even though it is super annoying, it gives me something to do and a challenge.

phial

Jan 3, 2005
I have a 4coredual and a pcie x800xtpe , and cant get over 290fsb with my e4400 due to the instability of the graphics card on the overclocked pcie bus, at least i think tahts what it is from what im reading, as i get a bsod that has errors in one of the ati driver files and another person on another forum has a similar card... also you might want to check to see if setting the overclock mode to fsb, pcie async actually does anything, it doesnt for me or that other fella. although putting it to sync gets me another 5mhz out of the FSB ..

edit: Sisoft Sandra is a free download and it will tell what your busses are actually running at, on the Mainboard tab. I'll try an older driver like you did and see if it helps, i wouldnt mind getting a bit more out of this sweet processor :Drool:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: phial
I have a 4coredual and a pcie x800xtpe , and cant get over 290fsb with my e4400 due to the instability of the graphics card on the overclocked pcie bus, at least i think tahts what it is from what im reading, as i get a bsod that has errors in one of the ati driver files and another person on another forum has a similar card... also you might want to check to see if setting the overclock mode to fsb, pcie async actually does anything, it doesnt for me or that other fella. although putting it to sync gets me another 5mhz out of the FSB ..

edit: Sisoft Sandra is a free download and it will tell what your busses are actually running at, on the Mainboard tab. I'll try an older driver like you did and see if it helps, i wouldnt mind getting a bit more out of this sweet processor :Drool:

LOCK the PCIe bus !

!!

there IS a lock ... you will destroy peripherials if it is much out of spec

my ASrock MB wouldn't allow me to go over 2.82Ghz stably with my current e4300 ... simply after upgrading to P35 MB [same RAM] i get 3.105Ghz at stock voltage and only 50sC in TAT ... so i think i have a LONG way to go if i play with the voltage

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Why are you testing CPU overclock with 3dMark?

Your results are exactly the reason you should be testing OC clocks with an actual CPU stress program. I wouldn't be surprised if your current clocks won't pass a standard stress test.

I would mess with the CPU clocks first and then move to the GPU clocks.