Those $20 Onn Android TV streaming boxes at Walmart....

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Have any of you tried these? For 20 bucks you get an Android 10 box that has been officially tested by Google. Latest update seems to make them very stable, (no more lockups, as were reported by some with the earlier firmware) and they also have a nice remote.
On the downside, they don't have much storage, though for 5 bucks you can add a USB/power cable, and add a USB flash drive, then set it up as internal storage.

I was testing it side by side with my Roku, and using Paramount+, Hulu and Disney+, the remote actually seemed to give me better control over fast forwarding, rewinding, and trying to find a particular spot in a movie.

I was just wondering, would there be any issue with hooking up a 480GB SSD drive to it, for local storage?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Have any of you tried these? For 20 bucks you get an Android 10 box that has been officially tested by Google. Latest update seems to make them very stable, (no more lockups, as were reported by some with the earlier firmware) and they also have a nice remote.
On the downside, they don't have much storage, though for 5 bucks you can add a USB/power cable, and add a USB flash drive, then set it up as internal storage.

I was testing it side by side with my Roku, and using Paramount+, Hulu and Disney+, the remote actually seemed to give me better control over fast forwarding, rewinding, and trying to find a particular spot in a movie.

I was just wondering, would there be any issue with hooking up a 480GB SSD drive to it, for local storage?
well for one i imagine you are watching 720p-1080p for 20$. How about a link to the said device?

i am super interested in android boxes (4 nvidia shields, 3 miboxes (modded with heatsinks) 8 core arm 4gb ddr4 they can produce a killer picture but apps like netflix would not work in 4k with out workarounds. i eventually put all the devices in a box in storage and now use plex with wifi to stream to every tv from one nuc x2 Das and 0 streaming apps.

the fact that its "officially tested by google" no idea what that means but if its supported to get all the good apps and works fast with the apps, then it sounds great, i would think there should be no issue with the drive preformated but again i have no idea what this 5$ storage usb cable that you are required to purchase to enable more storage?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
ETAprime reviewed it last summer. He said the OTG cable setup would not act as internal storage, but that you could even use a HDD with it.

For anyone interested, I will link the review. It was $30 when he tested it, so $20 is a excellent price. Can handle light emulation too.

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I'm tempted to use it as the basis for some sort of emulator build with the students in our classroom at school. Wish there was some way to make it boot up directly into some sort of game menu. Plus, I'm not sure if there is a way to add a true joystick, or only bluetooth.

Musicman50

Nov 15, 2021

Just Purchased twp of the Onn 4K TV Android Boxes at Walmart at $19.95. And just out of the box I'm very impressed with the performance. I already own both the Fire-TV and Roku Boxes.
SO compared to the other devices, I actually like the layout and options over the Amazon Fire-TV stick, although mine is not the newest Fire-TV 4K model, this Onn 4K box with it's Quad Core CPU does very well at it's $20 price point.
I see no Lag or problems streaming any content on Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, or even movies from my home media Server. Impressive. !!!
IMHO is serious competition with the Amazon device.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Musicman50

Nov 15, 2021
ETAprime reviewed it last summer. He said the OTG cable setup would not act as internal storage, but that you could even use a HDD with it.

For anyone interested, I will link the review. It was $30 when he tested it, so $20 is a excellent price. Can handle light emulation too.

I've got two of them now, and for the price they are impressive. I do think it's faster compared to my Fire-TV Stick.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I've been pretty impressed with the one I bought, and I'm tempted to hook a second one up to the back of a monitor I have that has 2 HDMI inputs.....