Thor 3: Ragnarok

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
cr129id0jyqy.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr and Paratus

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
The only fresh things left in the MCU is Deadpool and GotG. Avengers can die for all I care.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
YES! That's what it feels like!

You knew it was coming but it was still great. :D

In either case they sure did a lot for his side of the movies.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The only fresh things left in the MCU is Deadpool and GotG. Avengers can die for all I care.
Deadpool isn't MCU.

And with Deadpool 2 coming out next year, I think it may be another case of movie sequels trying too hard to catch the magic of the first movie.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I haven't liked either of the GotG movies, and I heard someone on the radio from Fox discussing Ragnarok this morning and said it has a very GotG feel to it, so I'm pretty sure I will not like it. Trailer looked awful anyways. He said they try to be too funny in the new Thor movie and it doesn't succeed. He said the movie thinks it's funnier than it is.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Just saw this. Very good movie. Maybe just a bit too many jokes/funny dialogue, but still a great watch. Hela was actually a very worthy villain in the MCU

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Very entertaining, worth it. Agree, they tried to make it funny after the first couple Thor's were rather stoic and serious. It worked in this, Hemsworth played it well.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Just saw this. Very good movie. Maybe just a bit too many jokes/funny dialogue, but still a great watch.
Hela was actually a very worthy villain in the MCU
Hela was overpowered.
Odin's spear had no effect on her?!?! wtf

What was the item in Odin's treasure room that she said wasn't bad?

the 1st item was the empty Infinity gauntlet, which she said was fake.
the 2nd item she commented on was the Reality stone. she said was weak.
the 3rd item was Sulfur's helmet, which she said was smaller than she thought.
the 4th, she said wasn't bad.
what was that item?

and since when is Loki good in hand to hand combat?!

Also, where is Lady Sif?
yeah, I know the actress who plays her now has her own TV series (Blindspot).
did the movie even have an excuse for why she wasn't around?

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Hela was overpowered.
Odin's spear had no effect on her?!?! wtf

What was the item in Odin's treasure room that she said wasn't bad?

the 1st item was the empty Infinity gauntlet, which she said was fake.
the 2nd item she commented on was the Reality stone. she said was weak.
the 3rd item was Sulfur's helmet, which she said was smaller than she thought.
the 4th, she said wasn't bad.
what was that item?

and since when is Loki good in hand to hand combat?!

Also, where is Lady Sif?
yeah, I know the actress who plays her now has her own TV series (Blindspot).
did the movie even have an excuse for why she wasn't around?
The ice casket was weak. The tesseract wasn't bad.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Saw it yesterday.

I liked it, although I think I agree that perhaps they tried a little too hard with the humour. Jeff Goldblum was okay but I didn't find him that funny. Korg was pretty good.

I'd be interested to know how Hela would compare in power to Thanos. By the sounds of it, she was EXTREMELY powerful. I mean, if Hela was all but invulnerable, wouldn't Thanos be a hundred times stronger when he has the Infinity Gauntlet?

I would rate it as pretty good, maybe a little over hyped. Not as good as GoTG 1 or 2, but better than some of the other MCU movies.

Also - Doctor Strange was able to handle both Thor and Loki like they were infants. Just how powerful is he? Loki himself is a powerful god with access to some fairly potent magic as far as I understand. The only Infinity Stone that Strange is known to possess is the Time Stone, and I don't think he uses it unless he needs to.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Saw it yesterday.

I liked it, although I think I agree that perhaps they tried a little too hard with the humour. Jeff Goldblum was okay but I didn't find him that funny. Korg was pretty good.

I'd be interested to know how Hela would compare in power to Thanos. By the sounds of it, she was EXTREMELY powerful. I mean, if Hela was all but invulnerable, wouldn't Thanos be a hundred times stronger when he has the Infinity Gauntlet?

I would rate it as pretty good, maybe a little over hyped. Not as good as GoTG 1 or 2, but better than some of the other MCU movies.

Also - Doctor Strange was able to handle both Thor and Loki like they were infants. Just how powerful is he? Loki himself is a powerful god with access to some fairly potent magic as far as I understand. The only Infinity Stone that Strange is known to possess is the Time Stone, and I don't think he uses it unless he needs to.
If you ever read the comics when Thanos had the infinity gauntlet you would understand just how powerful he was.

This might look familiar:

thanos-snap-103596.png

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Saw it yesterday.

the timing on comedic pauses was a little off to me, on the long side of things. Thanos was/is omnipotent with the infinity gauntlet. Without it I think he is still probably one of the strongest characters in the marvel universe. Strange wasnt fighting with thor and loki, so I wouldnt use that to try and judge their power levels versus each other. that said, its all just plot/writing devices. they are all as strong as they need to be to fit into the plot. for instance thor 1, thor without hammer = mortal levels, in thor 3, thor without hammer = hulk levels. try not to nitpick that kind of stuff, its all over the place.

my only complaints for thor 3 is the comedic timing and that they used the korg "were gonna jump on this big ass ship" joke twice. oh and also the post credits scene was weaksauce, the precredits scene was better.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Saw it yesterday, wtf is that 5th element vibe in MCU? It bug me to no end as I keep expecting Willis to jump in.

Also don't understand how Asgardian is the "top of the food chain" after 3 movies, it looks like Asgard only have a few hundred people, a hundred guards, no space ship and few flying boat. Thor the strongest asgardian is pretty dumb and always overpowered. Pretty much any race with guns kick their asses.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
the timing on comedic pauses was a little off to me, on the long side of things. Thanos was/is omnipotent with the infinity gauntlet. Without it I think he is still probably one of the strongest characters in the marvel universe. Strange wasnt fighting with thor and loki, so I wouldnt use that to try and judge their power levels versus each other. that said, its all just plot/writing devices. they are all as strong as they need to be to fit into the plot. for instance thor 1, thor without hammer = mortal levels, in thor 3, thor without hammer = hulk levels. try not to nitpick that kind of stuff, its all over the place.

my only complaints for thor 3 is the comedic timing and that they used the korg "were gonna jump on this big ass ship" joke twice. oh and also the post credits scene was weaksauce, the precredits scene was better.

I think in Thor 1, he was deprived not only of his hammer but also of his godhood.

Although Odin also mentions that the hammer was just a tool for him to focus his power. It may be that, by that point, he had begun to realize that he didn't need it.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
IMDB ratings, for the heck of it:
  1. Thor: Ragnarok 8.2
  2. The Avengers 8.1
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy 8.1
  4. Iron Man 7.9
  5. Captain America: Civil War 7.9
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 7.8
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7.8
  8. Spider-Man: Homecoming 7.6
  9. Doctor Strange 7.5
  10. Avengers: Age of Ultron 7.4
  11. Ant-Man 7.3
  12. Iron Man 3 7.2
  13. Thor: The Dark World 7.0
  14. Thor 7.0
  15. Iron Man 2 7.0
  16. Captain America: The First Avenger 6.9
  17. The Incredible Hulk 6.8

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Saw it yesterday, wtf is that 5th element vibe in MCU? It bug me to no end as I keep expecting Willis to jump in.

Also don't understand how Asgardian is the "top of the food chain" after 3 movies, it looks like Asgard only have a few hundred people, a hundred guards, no space ship and few flying boat. Thor the strongest asgardian is pretty dumb and always overpowered. Pretty much any race with guns kick their asses.

I am confused by that as well.