This week's Darwin Award goes to...

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Link

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) - A Brazilian man died Tuesday when he tried to open what police believe was a rocket-propelled grenade with a sledgehammer in a mechanical workshop on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro.

Another man who was in the workshop at the time of the explosion was rushed to a hospital with severe burns, a police officer told Reuters. The workshop was destroyed and several cars parked outside caught fire.

Police found several unexploded army issue rocket-propelled grenades in the workshop. They believe the ammunition had been brought there by scavengers wanting to sell them as scrap metal, but they also are investigating a possible link to Rio's heavily armed drug gangs who often raid military bases.

Seriously. How dumb can someone possibly be?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I've always wondered whats going through peoples heads when they deside to hit explosive devices with hammers.

In this case, large bits of shrapnel I guess :)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
That's like that teacher who found a 40mm WWII AA shell while hiking and used it as a paperweight on his desk for years, then he tried to use it to squash a bug and it exploded in his hand. Genius.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
good question. I'm thinking deliberately hitting ordinance with a hammer might take the cake.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: twjr
*Shakes head*

I thought we were an intelligent species.
Which is why the OP cites Darwin, the ones who aren't, may not survive to pass on their faulty genetic material :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I still like Douglas Adam's take on these people, INDUHVIDUALS.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
When I was a kid one of my friends found a shotgun shell and proceeded to hit it with a hammer, well his hand was badly mangled all his fingers looked like badly burned sausages.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
OMG, why does this remind me so much of that scene in Joe Dirt, when he thinks he has a bomb strapped to himself, and threatens to hit the "detonator" with a hammer?? :laugh:

Instead of putting warning labels on everything, why don't we just put the warning labels on the dumb people??? :confused:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Can they sell what is left of his body for all the scrap metal it now contains? Its quite safe now.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
Instead of putting warning labels on everything, why don't we just put the warning labels on the dumb people??? :confused:

Ever heard the "Here's your Sign" routine from the Blue Collar Comedy guys? :p

Nate

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe he didn't know what it was? I guess it's kinda hard to not know what an RPG looks like, but still...

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
My favorite story of Improvised EOD is a couple of guys in Cambodia who found an old unexploded anti-tank mine. For some reason, they decided to bring it into a bar and took turns taking a shot, and then jumping on it. Typically, AT mines won't be setoff by a person, explosives get unstable as they age. Anyway, everyone else in the bar cleared out once boy wonder brought out the mine. Eventually one of them managed to detonate the mine, which turned all 3 of them into paste.