This Summer's Box Office Bombs!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
It's a shame more people didn't see Undercover Brother. That movie kicked the CRAP out of Goldmember in terms of originality and hilarity.

Agreed. I really liked Undercover Brother as well....

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002
its rare that a movie will do better over seas. AI raked it in over in japan oddly enough:p you can check on IMDB.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Who wants to bet the movie companies will blame this BS on "PIRATES" (arr matey!)
LOL

But truthfully I agree with this previous statement....
Maybe it has something to do with ticket prices going up, and the quality of movies going down.

BTW...just saw The Time Machine on DVD....great movie!!

pffffft...this movies sucked as soon as the girl got killed the second time, who didn't see that coming?

Jul 1, 2000
The ads for the Country Bears - even for a kid's movie - were the gayest thing I think I have ever seen.

I am surprised that K-19 tanked as badly as it did...

Jul 1, 2000
Memo to Hollywood -

The next time you want to know whether a movie as gay as the Country Bears is going to flop - I'll tell you for the low, low price of $10,000 per movie... Think of the money you will save.
rolleye.gif

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
Memo to Hollywood -

The next time you want to know whether a movie as gay as the Country Bears is going to flop - I'll tell you for the low, low price of $10,000 per movie... Think of the money you will save.
rolleye.gif

Right. Because you know better.
rolleye.gif

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: pulse8
Memo to Hollywood -

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

After working in a movie theatre for 4 years, I can pretty much tell you what movies are going to do well, and which movies aren't worth the film they are printed on.

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002
Maybe it has something to do with ticket prices going up, and the quality of movies going down.

when was this mystical time when all movies were good eh?

if you look objectively, there are cr@ppy movies throughout time.

and well, there are many good movies made today too. some dont make as much as spiderman, but you could blame movie goers for that.

TechieZer0

Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: MrsSkoorb
I feel bad for Harrison Ford in K-19. Not that I saw it, but his movies usually do okay, don't they?

I don't feel bad. Most of his movies sucked. He plays the same guy in everyone except for Indiana Jones or Han Solo.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: pulse8
Memo to Hollywood -

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

After working in a movie theatre for 4 years, I can pretty much tell you what movies are going to do well, and which movies aren't worth the film they are printed on.

Right. After it's made, it's much easier to say if a movie will do well or not. Try doing it with just a script.

Which is probably why some movies actually get made and end up being horrible. It may have been good on paper, but it's execution onto the screen didn't go so well. Are they to just make movies and then not release them if they are bad? They at least get some of their money back when they release the film. It may not be much, but it's something.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: TechieZer0
Originally posted by: MrsSkoorb
I feel bad for Harrison Ford in K-19. Not that I saw it, but his movies usually do okay, don't they?

I don't feel bad. Most of his movies sucked. He plays the same guy in everyone except for Indiana Jones or Han Solo.

Riiiiight.
rolleye.gif

Ever see Witness? Regarding Henry? Apocolypse Now? The Conversation? American Graffiti? Patriot Games? Clear and Present Danger?

The last two, he did play the same character, but they were still good movies.

Rilescat

Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: abaez
My heart is truly weeping that powerpuff girls are on that list :(

what happened to all the fans.

I think a big problem was the theatres themselves. In my neck of the woods, the latest any showing of Power Puff Girls went was 4:30PM!!!! How are the core fans really ever going to get to see that? I know everyone I know works until 6:00pm at least!!

PPG is awesome! Where else can you hear "when you bring your manliness against me, I only get harder!"......WOW....for a 'little girl' movie, that is pretty out there! Go Cartoon Network!

Jul 1, 2000
Actually, pulse - you could have just read the concept for the Country Bears to a retarded chimp, and I believe that the chimp would have called that one.
rolleye.gif

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Actually, pulse - you could have just read the concept for the Country Bears to a retarded chimp, and I believe that the chimp would have called that one.
rolleye.gif

you know they only made that movie to increase traffic at disneyworld/land.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
There are going to be a few more added to the list by the time to December rolls around. There will be lots of competition cause of the compacted release time schedule.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
BTW...just saw The Time Machine on DVD....great movie!!
Did we see the same movie? The one I saw sucked ASS.

A) Giant plot holes (Especially at the end)
B) The bad guys looked EXACTLY like the Orcs from LOTR. The problem with this is that they AREN'T ORCS!
C) Guy Pearce. One of the worst acting performances I've ever seen...Torgo in "Manos" was almost better (And at least he was SUPPOSED to be monotonous.)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Atrail
There are going to be a few more added to the list by the time to December rolls around. There will be lots of competition cause of the compacted release time schedule.

Unfortunately, by the time December rolls around, it won't be summer anymore. :Q

;) :p

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I think Pluto Nash required over $150 million to make but it only brought in $2.2 million its opening weekend.