This sucks! - I just got back from the Nissan dealership, and this is what they had to say.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
One more thing about prices:
I have 96 Maxima. Frontend should be very similar to yours, aside from the engine. Driveaxles should be about the same.
Driveaxles remanufactured are about $80. You have to return your old axle to them. So that talk of 300 bux/axle is a ripoff. Maybe they give you brand new axle, but remanufactured is just as good, and 10x better than replacing just the boot IMO.
Someone I know from Maxima.org charged me $40/axle for labor, which is pretty good IMO. This guy is a mechanic for a big chain by day, and does work in his garage on weekends.
Assuming that you pay double labor and $100 for remanufactured axle, it shouldn't cost you more than $200 to replace the whole axle. Like I said I don't recommend just replacing the boot.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
My 2cents. I go to a local independent place. They treat me very well. A regular customer doesn't pay nearly as much as some guy who just walks in. If you can find an honest mechanic, stick with him.