This sound okay for an at-work diet?

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
In the past I've always eaten out a lot and it burned through my money and also got me pretty chunky... so I've started just buying frozen meals and eating those at my office. Some of the boxes come with two items so I usually eat one at 10:00 AM and then 2:00 AM.

Does this sound okay for what I'm doing today?

Breakfast - oatmeal
10:00AM lunch - 340 Cal (30G Prot) South Beach Diet Meal
2:00PM lunch - 340 Cal (30G Prot) South Beach Diet Meal
6:00PM Supper

I know it's not the optimal diet food, but it's quick and easy and best of all... cheap. I guess I'm more wondering about splitting up the two lunches to help keep the metabolism going and stuff.

---or---

Should I pack a sandwhich for lunch and have a snack a couple hours before/after lunch? I'm trying to go for six smaller meals a day to keep my metabolism going.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Two lunches? Goddamn, didn't even know there was such a thing. I typically pack a whole wheat sandwich filled with tomatoes and radishes, but if you don't mind the health consequences of taking in two pizzas/day, by all means, enjoy.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Be sure to read the info on those boxes. Some of them are loaded with Sodium or Cholesterol or other things even though the actual calories are low.

Then compare those numbers to the data from wherever you normally would go to eat and see which is really better.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Frozen premade food is horrible. Tastes good but not something I'd touch when on a diet

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Two lunches? Goddamn, didn't even know there was such a thing. I typically pack a whole wheat sandwich filled with tomatoes and radishes, but if you don't mind the health consequences of taking in two pizzas/day, by all means, enjoy.

I get an hour lunch, so I just split it up into two 1/2 hours...

Also, the two pizzas is just what I happened to have today.

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Make yourself a sandwich. Some peanut butter is a good snack if you need something sweet but also some protein (if you can limit yourself to just a tablespoon or so).

String cheese is also a good snack. You may want to have 1 lunch but have a morning and afternoon snack (e.g. the string cheese, some peanuts, etc.)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I would also make a sandwich and include some things for snacks. Those frozen foods are processed garbage. You can maximize your nutritional value through a little bit of creativity.

Breakfast: It depends on my mood, but usually some oatmeal or whole grain cereal with a good amount of carbs and fiber.

Lunch: A sandwich. My sandwiches usually consiste of whole wheat, soy-mayo with lemon juice, Irish Dubliner or Dutch Paranno cheese, turkey (and sometimes a sopressada or even a chorizo), horseradish + dill or apricot + ginger mustard, broccoli sprouts, and a little olive oil on the bread. Sometimes I put in some cilantro as it's excellent with the sprouts and apricot, believe it or not. I usually have a tomato and an apple or a pear along with it.

Snack: Usually something without salt or sugar. I like to have a good protein snack. I usually go for raw peanuts or cashews. They have a good amount of protein and enough calories to keep me going. I keep away from a lot of sugar as I don't want that energy drain one often gets through too much sugar.

A sandwich doesn't have to be boring. You can do a lot with it to make it a fully balanced meal, and it's most definitely better tasting and healthier than some crap in a box.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
I would also make a sandwich and include some things for snacks. Those frozen foods are processed garbage. You can maximize your nutritional value through a little bit of creativity.

Breakfast: It depends on my mood, but usually some oatmeal or whole grain cereal with a good amount of carbs and fiber.

Lunch: A sandwich. My sandwiches usually consiste of whole wheat, soy-mayo with lemon juice, Irish Dubliner or Dutch Paranno cheese, turkey (and sometimes a sopressada or even a chorizo), horseradish + dill or apricot + ginger mustard, broccoli sprouts, and a little olive oil on the bread. Sometimes I put in some cilantro as it's excellent with the sprouts and apricot, believe it or not. I usually have a tomato and an apple or a pear along with it.

Snack: Usually something without salt or sugar. I like to have a good protein snack. I usually go for raw peanuts or cashews. They have a good amount of protein and enough calories to keep me going. I keep away from a lot of sugar as I don't want that energy drain one often gets through too much sugar.

A sandwich doesn't have to be boring. You can do a lot with it to make it a fully balanced meal, and it's most definitely better tasting and healthier than some crap in a box.

Wow, that's some sandwich... :) I'll have to look up some of those names/brands. Do you ever think about getting some protein in your breakfast? I used to put protein powder mixed in with my oatmeal back in the days when I was fitter.

Also, you didn't mention supper... keep the ideas coming. :)

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Descartes

This is pretty good advice. I might suggest trying different types of snacks. Get a few higher calorie ones like nuts for when you're really wanting something and bring some lower-calorie density foods for eating whenever you want. Cut up vegetables can make a great snack.. It may sound boring to start with, but that's a function of being used to higher-fat and salt and sugar foods.. once you get used to vegetables, you'll realize they have amazing flavor and can make great snacks.