This report is a bit disturbing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This is an EU report, but it's a wide-spread problem in the USA as well. I remember reading a story about a study that said alligator penises had shrunk 35% due to estrogen-mimicking contaminants in the water. I thought "Holy cow, that's bad!"

Then I thought "Man, what a sucky job that would be, measuring alligator penises!"

Then I thought "Wait a minute - we have an alligator penis database? For how long? And WHY the hell would we ever have an alligator penis database? I can't imagine in 1900 someone saying "You know, I'm worried about future contaminants. We should start capturing alligators, measure their penises, and log them all in a database. That way in the future -" I'm sure no one ever got past that point before being slapped silly. Well, sillier. So how the hell do we know how big alligator penises used to be? Or should be?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Exactly. I'm living proof of that. I'm about as big of a tree-hugger as one can be and still be a Conservative. Responsibility starts with one's self - not the state(Fed Gov't)

Ditto. Environmentalism has been turned into a political thing when it really should not be. We sould all be able to agree on sound environmental policies.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I read a similar report in a Muscle and Fitness magazine about cleansers and testosterone reduction. Basically stating the same thing how certain chemicals increase estrogen and limit testosterone in males if they use too many products of that nature.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
By far the largest source of hormone contamination is birth control pills. Everyone knows this. So when will the left allow this environmental problem be solved?

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Exactly. I'm living proof of that. I'm about as big of a tree-hugger as one can be and still be a Conservative. Responsibility starts with one's self - not the state(Fed Gov't)

Ah, so let the "free market" and "individual responsibility" deal with this, right? 20 years down the line, when the effects of these anti-androgens are established, the "free market" will take care of all of the damage. Because, after all, if tens or hundreds of millions of femanized boys are created, we private citizens will be able to sue and collect paltry sums from bankrupted, "responsible" corporations, and that will make everything alright.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Quite true. All the lung cancer and emphysema was worth the jobs in the tobacco industry.

Not to worry. The free market will heal the wounded and resurrect the dead. The free market is the solution to all of our problems.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
By far the largest source of hormone contamination is birth control pills. Everyone knows this. So when will the left allow this environmental problem be solved?

How about abortions for birth control? You know how 'the left' loves to kill babies! :twisted:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

How dare you make such a bald faced lie?

Oh that's right; you do it here daily.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
A lot of the chemicals we consume are not there because there is no other alternative but usually because it is the cheapest way to produce something or it sells better.

An example is teflon. Teflon was all the rage for non stick cookware till people learned it could flake off and be eaten. What did teflon replace ? Cast iron type cookware which is naturally non stick when handled properly and doesn't harm anyone unless they already have high levels of iron, otherwise it is actually a good source of iron. Marketing played an important part, get rid of that old heavy cookware that sticks all the time, for our light never stick cookware.

Another example is margarine and sprays to replace butter and lard. Animal products are supposed to be so bad for our health. When in fact it was the food industry that made the public prefer it not hard facts. Synthetics and derived oils were cheaper to produce than using milk and animal products. Now they are learning that guess what , lard and butter actually have health benefits.

Maybe that is why my grandma lived to be 98 and ate lard + fatback and greens every week till she died.

Then we come to baby bottles made of BPA plastic, a hormone altering drug, yeah that is a good idea lets use that for food. That is about as bright an idea as when they used cadmium, yes the stuff in nicd rechargeable batteries to make the cans for food, hey it was easy to mold, and sealed the cans with lead solder.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ditto. Environmentalism has been turned into a political thing when it really should not be. We sould all be able to agree on sound environmental policies.
I don't know that strictly speaking, that is true, at least in practice. Bush 2 introduced a plan to clear cut (I think it was) 40% of our National Forests over five years. Forests that are clear cut take at least a couple hundred years to recover their natural composition. Democrats have their moments - Clinton cutting down thousand year-old trees for a photo op, Gore having the water level in a drought-stricken river to float his canoe for a political commercial - but overall there's a huge difference in environmental policy at a practical level between the two parties. Environmental policy is one of the few things on which I wholeheartedly agree with the Democrat Party. The real nuts are on the far left, but overall I think you have to give the Dems a pretty clear win on environmental policy.