This pisses me off. How do people get away with this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: akshatp
I'm sure even selling notes from lectures or books isn't legal or allowed.

Of course it is. At Rutgers they have two different stores that ONLY sell notes from lectures. Great for lazy students who miss alot of lectures.

1st Class Knotes was the name of one of the shops.. Cant remember the other.

So the school is selling notes?

No. Private shops on or near campus selling notes...

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Of course it is. At Rutgers they have two different stores that ONLY sell notes from lectures. Great for lazy students who miss alot of lectures.

I'm pretty sure it's not legal to copy from others intellectual property other than fair use. So selling notes without permission isn't above board.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

I'm pretty sure it's not legal to copy from others intellectual property other than fair use. So selling notes without permission isn't above board.

The notes are the intellectual property of the person who TOOK the notes. Making it perfectly legal for him/her to sell said notes.

In the case of the stores selling notes, they pay people who take good notes for the rights to copy and distribute them to others.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Brandonbull ->>>>> http://www.firstclassnotes.com/fcnru.html

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA
Subject of Policy Statement
Effective Date
Policy Number
Course Notes and Recording
12/15/2005
10-048 SP
I. INTRODUCTION (Purpose and Intent)
As part of the education and learning experience, enrolled students routinely take course lecture notes. With the permission of the instructor, students may record lectures as well. Lecture notes and recordings involve the intellectual property rights of instructors and the University's regulation of the commercial use of such notes or recordings. This policy sets forth limitations on, and USF regulation of, use of notes/recordings.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY
A. Students may take notes during lectures/class presentations and, with the
permission of the instructor or as authorized by the Office of Student Disability Services, and with the instructor?s knowledge, make a tape recording of the lecture/presentation. Such notes and recordings may be used for individual or group study, or for other noncommercial purposes reasonably arising from the student's enrollment.

B. Notes, recordings, handouts and other material provided by the instructor cannot be exchanged or distributed for commercial purposes or for any purpose not related to a student's study or enrollment absent the express written authorization of the instructor.
C. Selling or distributing notes, handouts, etc. without authorization or using them for any commercial purpose without the express written permission of the University and the instructor is a violation of the USF Student Code of Conduct, USF Rule 6C4-6.0021 Florida Administrative Code.
D. Commercial Activities on USF Campus - USF Regulation USF6-026 and Policy No. 0-018, concerning distribution of material and solicitation on campus, prohibit commercial activity on campus with certain expressly enumerated exceptions. Unless authorized by the University in advance and explicitly permitted by the instructor, the sale or taking of class notes and/or recordings constitutes unauthorized commercial activity in violation of the foregoing Regulation.
Karen White
Regional Chancellor
Judy Genshaft
President

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

Effective Date
Policy Number
12/15/2005
10-048 SP
As part of the education and learning experience, enrolled students routinely take course lecture notes. With the permission of the instructor, students may record lectures as well. Lecture notes and recordings involve the intellectual property rights of instructors and the University's regulation of the commercial use of such notes or recordings. This policy sets forth limitations on, and USF regulation of, use of notes/recordings.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY
permission of the instructor or as authorized by the Office of Student Disability Services, and with the instructor?s knowledge, make a tape recording of the lecture/presentation. Such notes and recordings may be used for individual or group study, or for other noncommercial purposes reasonably arising from the student's enrollment.

B. Notes, recordings, handouts and other material provided by the instructor cannot be exchanged or distributed for commercial purposes or for any purpose not related to a student's study or enrollment absent the express written authorization of the instructor.
C. Selling or distributing notes, handouts, etc. without authorization or using them for any commercial purpose without the express written permission of the University and the instructor is a violation of the USF Student Code of Conduct, USF Rule 6C4-6.0021 Florida Administrative Code.
D. Commercial Activities on USF Campus - USF Regulation USF6-026 and Policy No. 0-018, concerning distribution of material and solicitation on campus, prohibit commercial activity on campus with certain expressly enumerated exceptions. Unless authorized by the University in advance and explicitly permitted by the instructor, the sale or taking of class notes and/or recordings constitutes unauthorized commercial activity in violation of the foregoing Regulation.
Karen White
Regional Chancellor
Judy Genshaft
President

Good thing the OP or I didn't go to USF then isn't it?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Effective Date
Policy Number
12/15/2005
10-048 SP
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY

Karen White
Regional Chancellor
Judy Genshaft
President

That doesn't mean they didn't pay for the notes in order to resell them. I'm pretty sure USF isn't alone in those rules. I think it's pretty common copyright stuff.

I could care less about selling notes.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
If you think this is bad, somebody sent an e-mail to a lot of people, using the blackboard mailing list, regarding a lost grinder. I had no idea what that was about, until one of my classmates also opened the e-mail, and told me that it was most probably a weed grinder. :confused:

Seriously: how do people get away with this?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I would have sent out an email offering my notes for free.

I don't care, I give my notes to whoever asks.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

Effective Date
Policy Number
12/15/2005
10-048 SP
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY

Karen White
Regional Chancellor
Judy Genshaft
President

That doesn't mean they didn't pay for the notes in order to resell them. I'm pretty sure USF isn't alone in those rules. I think it's pretty common copyright stuff.

Well the store has been around at RU since at least 96... And alot of my professors told us to get notes from there if we missed a lecture. So im pretty sure its all good at RU

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Effective Date
Policy Number
12/15/2005
10-048 SP
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY

Karen White
Regional Chancellor
Judy Genshaft
President

Well the store has been around at RU since at least 96... And alot of my professors told us to get notes from there if we missed a lecture. So im pretty sure its all good at RU

I'm sure most don't care. They probably only enforce it if they need to bust some balls.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

The notes are the intellectual property of the person who TOOK the notes. Making it perfectly legal for him/her to sell said notes.

In the case of the stores selling notes, they pay people who take good notes for the rights to copy and distribute them to others.

Works that are derivative of a copyrighted work are owned by the owner of the copyrighted work. That is to say, the professors of the classes likely own the copyrights to those notes.