This may not be video or home theater, but HD-DVD vs. BluRay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
VHS wasn't the best format, but it won. I don't think the technology will matter when you get a company like Sony backing something so large...

Hi, let me introduce myself. I'm Sony's Betamax.

Funny you mention VHS's victory over it, yet say that Sony's backing should produce a winner.

Don't forget that Sony was responsible for:

-- the 3.5" floppy disc
-- the compact cassette tape being licensed beyond Phillips
-- Walkman (first consumer portable tape player)
-- co-developed and brought the compact disc to market
-- Discman (first consumer portable CD player)
-- the Digital Audio Tape (still heavily used in recording studios)
-- Beta formats continued to be used heavily in professional television studios for decades.
-- Video8, Hi-8, Digital8, miniDV consumer camcorder formats
-- S/PDIF digital interface
-- Playstation
-- Blu-Ray

So over the last thirty years, they have failed at just two things: Consumer adoption of Beta and MiniDiscs. I would say that Sony has a phenomenal record of creating successful "winning" industry-standard media formats. There isn't another company in the history of man-kind that can even come close to their performance to date.

That doesn't mean that Sony is the only company that makes good products, but if you have to put money down in a format war, the safe bet is Sony.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
VHS wasn't the best format, but it won. I don't think the technology will matter when you get a company like Sony backing something so large...

Sony was backing Betamax last time...

Also, is Toshiba not a large company?

Your post is weird lol

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
lol, so many of you have commented about my post, I clarified what I meant to say later, read the thread first

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: thomsbrain

Funny you mention VHS's victory over it, yet say that Sony's backing should produce a winner.

-- the 3.5" floppy disc
-- Beta formats continued to be used heavily in professional television studios for decades.
-- Playstation
-- Blu-Ray

So over the last thirty years, they have failed at just two things: Consumer adoption of Beta and MiniDiscs. I would say that Sony has a phenomenal record of creating successful "winning" industry-standard media formats. There isn't another company in the history of man-kind that can even come close to their performance to date.

That doesn't mean that Sony is the only company that makes good products, but if you have to put money down in a format war, the safe bet is Sony.
:beer:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This comparision is meaningless since the same movie wasn't used in both players ... also both inputs need to be calibrated individually because the Toshiba 42HL67 stores unique picture settings for each input.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Looks like I accidently deleted Odin's post

One week, because of a mod call out.
If there was a concern about a thread in a wrong forum, it can be moved, which is precisely what I'm going to do.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree with the general point that Sony has come up with some good things...

But you forgot to add "Super Audio CD" to the list of Sony failures that screwed the customer. Sony seems to be half of any inane format war in electronics.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Spiderman 3 just sucked.
This only may occur one time in a lifetime, but I agree with you. The movie was terrible and I was afraid that might cloud my judgment, but I was looking for opinions/suggestions outside of that fact.

minendo:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

You should rent or buy any of the tier 0 titles for maximum BR quality. SM3 is a tier 0 title, so I'm not too sure why it didn't look that great, but check out any of the other titles (the Disney/Pixar ones are fantastic!!)

I watched Spider-Man 3 on the big screen and on Blu-Ray. For some reason, it just looked like crap on Blu-Ray. This was on a dedicated player, by the way, not on a PS3.

May 31, 2001

-- the 3.5" floppy disc
-- Playstation
-- Blu-Ray

Actually, wasn't the PlayStation a joint venture between Nintendo and Sony? I seem to recall that it was supposed to be a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES or something, but Nintendo decided not to go with it and left Sony holding the bag.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

-- the 3.5" floppy disc
-- Playstation
-- Blu-Ray

Are you forgetting the MultiMedia Compact Disc? The original opposition to what would later be known as DVDs?

And don't forget about the UMD format. Sony's proprietary Memory Stick was also a relative failure in terms of licensing and adaption. SACD sure was a great success too (and again, a dual venture).

A lot of the stuff they were successful on were dual or multi-venture situations. You mentioned the cassette tape beyond Philips and the CD as multipart. What about Philips with S/PDIF? Phillips name is in it for crying out loud. The PSX also started out as a joint venture between Nintendo and Sony. Blu-Ray had multi-studio support from the beginning.

DAT continued to have competition in Mitsubishi's X80. The Walkman and Discman were firsts and good products, but what do they have to do with competing formats?

And on top of this, besides the 3.5" floppy disk, DAT. and the Playstation, which of the things you listed actually had very serious format wars or competitions? I'll give you Video8 there too.

So the score is 5-6-1 in terms of formats.

Victories: 3.5" Floppy, DAT, PSX, PS2, Video8 and it's successors.
Defeats: SACD (this is a defeat due to both DVD-A and SACD being crap in terms of consumer adoption, so both lose), Betamax, UMD, Memory Stick, MiniDiscs, MMCD.
To be Decided: Blu-Ray.

I'm not counting CD or cassette tape as a victory because where was the big format war there? Sure it was a success in getting them popular use, but what does it add to history in a format war?

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Blu-Ray hasn't won yet. It has survived the format war, but it is yet to be seen whether it is adopted widespread.

If not, it's just another SACD...killing the other format, but never winning.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
Blu-Ray hasn't won yet. It has survived the format war, but it is yet to be seen whether it is adopted widespread.

If not, it's just another SACD...killing the other format, but never winning.

Good point. I also didn't put the MMCD under defeat, so I'll edit that. I'll also add the PS2 to victories.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven

-- the 3.5" floppy disc
-- Playstation
-- Blu-Ray

Actually, wasn't the PlayStation a joint venture between Nintendo and Sony? I seem to recall that it was supposed to be a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES or something, but Nintendo decided not to go with it and left Sony holding the bag.
Originally, yes.

Nintendo was worried about Sega's CD add-on and commissioned Sony to do something similar. Then they saw how Sega pretty much died and the CD didnt keep it alive. They told Sony to ah heck off because CD's would never be the format for console games.
Sony decided to put all their work into a stand-alone system and sell it themselves.

Nintendo has not yet finished eating their last serving of crow.