This is why the Democrats cannot - will not - "negotiate"

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/us/politics/debt-limit-debate.html?hp&_r=0

I thought Republicans LOVED the idea of breaching the debt limit?

Note the key fact about this: "House GOP unveils six-week debt hike that continues shutdown."

LOL indeed that you think this is a positive for Obama or Democrats. We'll get to see the spectacle of Obama "refusing to negotiate" about spending cuts for six more weeks while the government continues its shutdown. All the way up until the expiration of this debt ceiling forces the issue again.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mon...-at-six-week-debt-limit-extension-to-buy-time

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Note the key fact about this: "House GOP unveils six-week debt hike that continues shutdown."

LOL indeed that you think this is a positive for Obama or Democrats. We'll get to see the spectacle of Obama "refusing to negotiate" about spending cuts for six more weeks while the government continues its shutdown. All the way up until the expiration of this debt ceiling forces the issue again.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mon...-at-six-week-debt-limit-extension-to-buy-time

Democrats thought that way during the sequester as well. "No way the Republicans will allow big cuts to defense." Well, they did and they will again. This ain't your father's GOP any more, content to allow spending to go up 4% a year indefinitely. If the choice is cutting discretionary spending 33% or allowing the spending to continue at current levels, they'll let the 33% cut happen. Call it the super sequester.

lol.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
We're on a mission to burn it all down and then piss on the ashes. Take it all out now. Make that call. Take it out and give the .gov the penalty for early withdrawal and the interest. They'll surely find use for the money.

Buy gold bars with it. Or real estate.

You almost got me. The DJIA went WAY up today. If I had listened to you, where would I be?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Have to say I'm starting to wonder if the Republican strategy could actually null out its self-destruction. The longer this goes on, the more the blame spreads to the Democrats, at least from the CBS polling I've seen on the news since the shutdown began. The number of respondents blaming Democrats is up by ~10%, although there's a still a significant majority blaming Republicans. (the number blaming "both" has also risen from single to double digits).

Right now the Democrats have the moral high ground, but all it takes is one dumb slip-up in their management of the situation and they could easily look just as bad. (for instance, if they sunk to the GOP's level and made similar demands from the left).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Have to say I'm starting to wonder if the Republican strategy could actually null out its self-destruction. The longer this goes on, the more the blame spreads to the Democrats, at least from the CBS polling I've seen on the news since the shutdown began. The number of respondents blaming Democrats is up by ~10%, although there's a still a significant majority blaming Republicans. (the number blaming "both" has also risen from single to double digits).

Right now the Democrats have the moral high ground, but all it takes is one dumb slip-up in their management of the situation and they could easily look just as bad. (for instance, if they sunk to the GOP's level and made similar demands from the left).

Basically all polling I have seen has shown both parties' favorables falling, with the Republicans falling much further, much faster.

If CBS polling is saying otherwise, it is an extreme outlier.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Basically all polling I have seen has shown both parties' favorables falling, with the Republicans falling much further, much faster.

If CBS polling is saying otherwise, it is an extreme outlier.

A party's favorables is a different question from assigning blame. You can view both parties unfavorably and still blame one for the shutdown over the other. I completely believe that the Republicans are viewed "more unfavorably", but they seem to be shifting the blame for the actual shutdown rather effectively. Whether that continues is anyone's guess.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
A party's favorables is a different question from assigning blame. You can view both parties unfavorably and still blame one for the shutdown over the other. I completely believe that the Republicans are viewed "more unfavorably", but they seem to be shifting the blame for the actual shutdown rather effectively. Whether that continues is anyone's guess.

The GOP has maintained good message discipline with the "Obama should negotiate" position. The Obama position of "no negotiations" is now past its shelf life and beginning to hurt him, increasingly so as time goes along. "Negotiation" and "compromise" are feel-good words that people generally support, and pressure will increase on Obama to do exactly that (especially now that the GOP has given a concession in the 6-week debt ceiling delay).

Just like parents who are exasperated at arguing children, the public is at the point of being fed up and telling the sibling seeming less reasonable (now the Democrats) "just go hug your brother and tell him you're sorry." Doesn't matter anymore that he'll protest "but HE started it!"

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
it's not your Fathers democrat party. It's been hijacked by a bunch of self loathing parasites.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The GOP has maintained good message discipline with the "Obama should negotiate" position. The Obama position of "no negotiations" is now past its shelf life and beginning to hurt him, increasingly so as time goes along. "Negotiation" and "compromise" are feel-good words that people generally support, and pressure will increase on Obama to do exactly that (especially now that the GOP has given a concession in the 6-week debt ceiling delay).

Just like parents who are exasperated at arguing children, the public is at the point of being fed up and telling the sibling seeming less reasonable (now the Democrats) "just go hug your brother and tell him you're sorry." Doesn't matter anymore that he'll protest "but HE started it!"
Yep, the GOP counts on idiots that have no clue about what is happening. Too bad even that strategy is working less and less for them each day.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It is interesting to watch people try and convince themselves. I have no doubt that right wing radio and Fox News is filled with exactly this sort of stuff as the fringe right tries to buck up morale.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It is interesting to watch people try and convince themselves. I have no doubt that right wing radio and Fox News is filled with exactly this sort of stuff as the fringe right tries to buck up morale.

It's exactly what the right wing media is saying, point for point. I like to watch the various "new" channels cover the same event to see how each one spins it and without fail their talking points are always repeated by people on this board (and it's not just one or two parrots but a good 80% of them). Sure there are also some on the left that repeat talking points but it's not as common.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Repeating things doesn't help make them any more true. Keep on thinking this is about Obamacare even as the 16% cuts go into effect. I don't care if Obamacare stays and you can keep it for all I care, I'd prefer you see its failure through to the very bitter end. Either way, the big spending cuts are coming. That's the end game. Everything else is just bluster and hyperbole.

When your side starts resorting to Hail Mary arguments like the government shutdown is un-Biblical" I know that the reality is starting to set in for your side.

It needs to be repeated, I think, because you both agreed that Oabamacare is law, and that democrats need to be able to negotiate.

You ignore that the only terms of negotiation that Repubs accept, is repealing (defunding--lol, as if that is any real difference) Obamacare.

so you blame dems for not negotiating, when the only acceptable terms offered to them are to trash what you also agree is law?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003

Its only a fringe in the minds of idiots.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
It needs to be repeated, I think, because you both agreed that Oabamacare is law, and that democrats need to be able to negotiate.

You ignore that the only terms of negotiation that Repubs accept, is repealing (defunding--lol, as if that is any real difference) Obamacare.

so you blame dems for not negotiating, when the only acceptable terms offered to them are to trash what you also agree is law?

So laws cannot be changed?

and furthermore, the republicans have stopped asking for defunding the law a long time ago. You have to keep repeating that lie to make yourself feel like they haven't given anything yet.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
obama-on-debt-ceiling.jpg

Everyone agrees with Obama don't they? I mean if you don't, you must be a terrorist right?

LOL

Uno

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So laws cannot be changed?

and furthermore, the republicans have stopped asking for defunding the law a long time ago. You have to keep repeating that lie to make yourself feel like they haven't given anything yet.

At this point, Teahadists don't know what they want, other than to rave, threaten & draw attention to themselves.

It's working, just not as expected.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
a liberal comedian has problems with republicans. In other news water is wet.

That's twice in one thread you've proven me correct, thanks chickenshit hypocrite.

In true hack fashion you prove incapable of addressing the message instead of the messenger, and completely ignored Boner himself admitting to backing out of an agreed deal to avoid the shut down. What is it exactly you think you were proving with that reply?

Not surprised you're proving to be as intellectually honest as the douchebag you're trying to shield from responsibility. I suppose I'll just take comfort in the fact that his credibility is well on it's way to matching yours.

I can see him packing up his office shit with tears in his eyes now...