THIS is what right-wing conspiracy theories cause. Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The media isn't in charge of dealing and taking action with fatal viruses - that is the job of the government and the President - and they dropped the ball. It doesn't matter how many times you babble on about things outside that scope. lol.
I agree. The president dropped the ball. He (and the media) listened to what China was saying instead of watching what China was doing. They were fools who allowed themselves to be fooled.

Reactions: HurleyBird

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

And this fucking loon right here takes the cake. He's wrapped up 5G (because of course) and claims it's causing it and it is a depopulation plan (and a fake pandemic, dunno how that works).

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes:

British 5G towers are being set on fire amid coronavirus conspiracy theories
5G is causing anarchy in the UK

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why do all of you have such a selective memory? Do you not remember what the media was saying in January and February?

Start with the same day Trump announced flight restrictions from China...

January 31
Buzzfeed

They have changed the original shameful headline:

Here's What We Do And Don't Know About The Deadly Coronavirus Outbreak

Update: This story was originally published with a different headline comparing the effect of the coronavirus outbreak in the US to the flu. The headline, and the story, was based on information available in late January. Because the story is still being widely shared, we have decided to change the headline in order to reflect our current understanding of the pandemic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/danvergano/coronavirus-cases-deaths-flu

January 31
Vox

Feb. 1
Washington Post
"Get a grip, America. The flu is a much bigger threat than coronavirus, for now."

Feb 2
Washington Post
"Time for a reality check, America. The flu is a much bigger threat that coronavirus for now"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

"Past epidemics prove fighting coronavirus with travel bans is a mistake."

I'm pretty sure it helped Taiwan.

Feb 3
Washington Post
Why we should be wary of an aggressive government response to coronavirus

Feb. 7
Daily Beast
"Coronavirus, with zero American fatalities, is dominating headlines, while the flu is the real threat."

March 4
CNN
"So if you’re freaked out at all about the coronavirus, you should be more concerned about the flu."
https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/21/flashback-cnn-anderson-cooper-flu-coronavirus/

There's a LOT more from February and January than I have listed here. A LOT MORE.

Seriously, I can't believe you can't see the difference in the characterizations involved. And, clearly, the fucking President obviously had much better sources than the media if he'd listen to them. He'd obviously rather source Fox for everything. I mean, he was so worried about the impeachment hoax that he had to golf & rally yugely to take his mind off of it & didn't have the time to deal with this properly. It's the Democrats' fault for that. He always knew it would be a pandemic, anyway, right?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I agree. The president dropped the ball. He (and the media) listened to what China was saying instead of watching what China was doing. They were fools who allowed themselves to be fooled.

Astoundingly dishonest, even from you.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm not even sure what the politics of anti-5G conspiracy-theories are. Amanda Holden doesn't have any particular political stance, as far as I know, she's just a generic idiot.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
???

Sorry, I'm not following.

He attempted to excuse Trump by wrongfully accusing the Chinese of lack of transparency. The Taiwanese & the S Koreans had the same information & managed to act decisively to flatten the curve. Maybe that was because they hadn't disbanded their own version of the NSC pandemic team back in 2018. Maybe they didn't fuck around until Feb 27 to put Pence in charge, but now it's apparently Jared, God help us all. Plus, in the middle of it all he fired his chief of staff & brought in a new guy. And he's still trying to power bullshit his way through a deadly pandemic. It's what he's done his whole life & all he knows how to do-

Feb 4, 2009
This is LEFT WING, BUDDY. The "right wing" SENT the ship there. And the guy is a registered democrat. Also, there isn't even a conspiracy going on about this. Google "USNS conspiracy theory" and the ONLY results you get are about this train story. Nice try.

Who the hell's Alt account is this????

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
THIS is what conspiracy theories cause. THIS RIGHT HERE. THIS is why the de-platforming of all conspiracy theorists is absolutely essential.

Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'"

Thanks for this. I love that we are intellectual enough to realize that a single crazy person doing a one-off wild-ass thing should be the representative of a massive portion of our population as long as we disagree with them. We gotta clamp the fuck down on people's speech for sure. As long as our side has determined it is untruth.

Only....what if we create a system where a political group gains the power to regulate what is truth or not and then the other team wins the election. Every time we propose giving a "team" extra power over us, we need to consider how we would feel if the other team could wield that power. That's exactly why we shouldn't be too eager to give politicians power over us unless we're cool with the party of Trump wielding that power.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Excuse me. How the hell does:

Turn into:

He attempted to excuse Trump by wrongfully accusing the Chinese of lack of transparency.

It's not enough to just be against Trump. You can say "he dropped the ball" and that "he was a fool" but if you don't say it with fire in your belly and hatred in your eyes, or you temper your criticism, or also level similar criticisms towards left leaning institutions, or insert any sort of nuance whatsoever you're suddenly "excusing" him.

This is unhealthy. It's unproductive. It's intolerant. It's essentially religious fundamentalism, minus a deity. It turns people against you and your causes. And it does nothing but help Trump. Or, to put it simply, it's deranged. This is what TDS looks like. It's not just a buzzword. Although it's sometimes misapplied, it's a perfectly descriptor for this right here.

(And yes, totalitarian China has obviously been less than transparent, even persecuting their own health workers who tried to sound the alarm during the early phases of the outbreak.)

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Turn into:

It's not enough to just be against Trump. You can say "he dropped the ball" and that "he was a fool" but if you don't say it with fire in your belly and hatred in your eyes, or you temper your criticism, or also level similar criticisms towards left leaning institutions, or insert any sort of nuance whatsoever you're suddenly "excusing" him.

This is unhealthy. It's unproductive. It's intolerant. It's essentially religious fundamentalism, minus a deity. It turns people against you and your causes. And it does nothing but help Trump. Or, to put it simply, it's deranged. This is what TDS looks like. It's not just a buzzword. Although it's sometimes misapplied, it's a perfectly descriptor for this right here.

(And yes, totalitarian China has obviously been less than transparent, even persecuting their own health workers who tried to sound the alarm during the early phases.)

lol. Go to a Trump rally. LOK HUR UP! LOK HUR UP!

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
lol. Go to a Trump rally. LOK HUR UP! LOK HUR UP!

No reason to go since I'm not a Trump supporter. Not like that matters of course. The response to telling a TDS sufferer that you're generally, but not totally against Trump is like what you would expect if you told an al-qaeda supporter that you mostly believe in Mohamed.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
He attempted to excuse Trump by wrongfully accusing the Chinese of lack of transparency.
I was "excusing" Trump somehow by calling him a fool?

The Taiwanese & the S Koreans had the same information & managed to act decisively to flatten the curve. Maybe that was because they hadn't disbanded their own version of the NSC pandemic team back in 2018. Maybe they didn't fuck around until Feb 27 to put Pence in charge, but now it's apparently Jared, God help us all. Plus, in the middle of it all he fired his chief of staff & brought in a new guy. And he's still trying to power bullshit his way through a deadly pandemic. It's what he's done his whole life & all he knows how to do-

EXACTLY! 100% THIS!

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Turn into:

(And yes, totalitarian China has obviously been less than transparent, even persecuting their own health workers who tried to sound the alarm during the early phases of the outbreak.)

There's a world of difference between being a fool & being fooled by Chinese chicanery that didn't happen.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There's a world of difference between being a fool & being fooled by Chinese chicanery that didn't happen.

Personally I find it tricky - but nonetheless necessary - to hold in mind two things simultaneously - that the Chinese regime is entirely untrustworthy and self-serving, and also that Trump, and the Western elites in general, have made a absolutely terrible job of responding to this crisis hitting the West. The former does not excuse the latter, but that doesn't stop one feeling angry with the CCP (or suspicious of the WHO's overly-close relationship with them). The WHO is a tricky one as well, I think it's clear there are divisions within that organisation. Partly they suck up too much to China, but at the same time they've correctly criticised some of the West's responses.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
He attempted to excuse Trump by wrongfully accusing the Chinese of lack of transparency. The Taiwanese & the S Koreans had the same information & managed to act decisively to flatten the curve. Maybe that was because they hadn't disbanded their own version of the NSC pandemic team back in 2018. Maybe they didn't fuck around until Feb 27 to put Pence in charge, but now it's apparently Jared, God help us all. Plus, in the middle of it all he fired his chief of staff & brought in a new guy. And he's still trying to power bullshit his way through a deadly pandemic. It's what he's done his whole life & all he knows how to do-

He said that Trump and the media were repeating China and the WHO's BS. He wishes Trump reacted like Taiwan or South Korea and that is the basis of his criticism against Trump. Not sure how you can see this as a contradiction.

At least Trump restricted travel against China and the WHO's guidelines. I guess that kinda contradicts what Ichinisan was saying, though it kinda contradicts you too... hence my confusion about what contradiction your link was supposed to show.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Thanks for this. I love that we are intellectual enough to realize that a single crazy person doing a one-off wild-ass thing should be the representative of a massive portion of our population as long as we disagree with them. We gotta clamp the fuck down on people's speech for sure. As long as our side has determined it is untruth.

Only....what if we create a system where a political group gains the power to regulate what is truth or not and then the other team wins the election. Every time we propose giving a "team" extra power over us, we need to consider how we would feel if the other team could wield that power. That's exactly why we shouldn't be too eager to give politicians power over us unless we're cool with the party of Trump wielding that power.

OK now. That's a very pretty strawman you've got there.

The title of the thread is
THIS is what right-wing conspiracy theories cause

It is not "this is what all right-wingers do." Or "This is what all conspiracy theorists do."

No, I said this is what they CAUSE.

This is the end result of ALL fucking conspiracy driven irrational and counter-factual fanaticism. Be it religious, or political. Eventually, a portion of the fanatics will go out and act according to their irrational beliefs and fears as though they are really being attacked.

The content of my post was this:

"THIS is what conspiracy theories cause. THIS RIGHT HERE. THIS is why the de-platforming of all conspiracy theorists is absolutely essential."

Notice I now left out "right-wing"? Now I include ALL conspiracies in my call for de-platforming.

How is intentionally spreading blatant misinformation that incites fear and panic NOT the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater?

At the VERY least, companies should be pressured by the consumers to de-platform all conspiracy theorists. That is NOT a violation of free speech as the 1st amendment does NOT guarantee you the right to a privately owned platform or venue for your speech.

So get all comfy humping your strawman. Let me know when you're ready to actually address the content of my fucking post.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Is it your position that the Chinese have been distributing accurate and timely information about infection and death rates for covid19?

It's my position that that Trump tried to bullshit his way thru a deadly viral pandemic, heedless of the information at hand. The fact that other govts did much, much better with the same information reinforces that entirely. The fact that he disbanded the NSC pandemic response team back in 2018 is utterly damning, and damning of the whole GOP theory of governance. They set us up to be sucker punched both by the pandemic & the economic disaster now unfolding.

We can't change the Chinese. Maybe we can change ourselves for the better but we'll have to beat him & the GOP in Nov to do it.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
OK now. That's a very pretty strawman you've got there.

The title of the thread is
THIS is what right-wing conspiracy theories cause

It is not "this is what all right-wingers do." Or "This is what all conspiracy theorists do."

No, I said this is what they CAUSE.

This is the end result of ALL fucking conspiracy driven irrational and counter-factual fanaticism. Be it religious, or political. Eventually, a portion of the fanatics will go out and act according to their irrational beliefs and fears as though they are really being attacked.

The content of my post was this:

"THIS is what conspiracy theories cause. THIS RIGHT HERE. THIS is why the de-platforming of all conspiracy theorists is absolutely essential."

Notice I now left out "right-wing"? Now I include ALL conspiracies in my call for de-platforming.

How is intentionally spreading blatant misinformation that incites fear and panic NOT the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater?

At the VERY least, companies should be pressured by the consumers to de-platform all conspiracy theorists. That is NOT a violation of free speech as the 1st amendment does NOT guarantee you the right to a privately owned platform or venue for your speech.

So get all comfy humping your strawman. Let me know when you're ready to actually address the content of my fucking post.

Itt's understandable he'd try to politicize it, given that the vast, vast majority of conspiracy theorizing in America is right wing. For every left wing conspiracy theorist shut down by your proposal there would likely be a dozen on the right. It's a tough thing to accomplish, anyway, with the POTUS & sycophants spinning out new ones on the regular.