This is waaaay to much goverment for my liking.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Destroy 'pirate' PCs, says politician

"Senator Orrin Hatch, a Republican representing Utah, asked technology chiefs about whether they could develop ways to damage or destroy the computers hearing in Washington on Tuesday.

Legal experts have said any attack on people's computers would contravene the US's anti-hacking laws. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2999780.stm

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Last year, Democratic senator Howard Berman drew up a bill that would allow artists to carry out "hack-attacks" on the computers of people who had downloaded tracks illegitimately

so who is to blame, ashcroft or the dems?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
How about govement is to blame. Which includes you Rep's and Dem's. Two sides of the same crusty coin IMHO.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
They better change the hacking laws then, which is going to create more problems than they can handle, the American economy is now somewhat dependent on the net, they better be carefull.....

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
I blame the entertainment industry and American politics. Too easy to buy a congressman for your own self-serving legislation.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
I blame the entertainment industry and American politics. Too easy to buy a congressman for your own self-serving legislation.

I wish it were easy to buy a congressman. Actually it is quite expensive thats why groups like the RIAA get crazy crap like super dmca laws passes in various states and the normal joe can fight it.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
That sucks. I think he's just BSing to get them to the industry to figure something out. I hope to God anyway. What an @ss. The recording industry just has to change. You can't stop file sharing. It'll just bite them in the @ss.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Last year, Democratic senator Howard Berman drew up a bill that would allow artists to carry out "hack-attacks" on the computers of people who had downloaded tracks illegitimately

so who is to blame, ashcroft or the dems?

The RIAA/MPAA. Don't draw politics into this, they're all for sale.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Orrin Hatch should recuse himself from the debate as he has what I consider a conflict of interest which is where his view comes from I think. If you look at his financial disclosure statements you will see he has a substantial income from songwriting....yes....songwriting.

I can't remember how much $$ exactly. Google would probably give you his song credit list, including Gladys Knight :Q

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder

I wish it were easy to buy a congressman. Actually it is quite expensive thats why groups like the RIAA get crazy crap like super dmca laws passes in various states and the normal joe can fight it.

Sorry, I should have said "it's too easy for the rich to buy a congressman for their own self-serving legislation."