This is unbelievable.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Zorba
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
wtf is the issue with this? there is no name... counties arent exactly small...

1) Date of abortion (no biggie)
2) County in which abortion is performed (oh noes, the people will know what county it was performed in!)
3) Age of mother(oh noes an age!)
4) Marital status of mother(oh noes she could be single! or married!)
5) Race of mother (no dont show the race)
6) Years of education of mother (no dont show the education level)
7) State or foreign country of residence of mother (nooo dont show was state and or COUNTRY she lives in)
8) Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother (oh noes?)

Honestly why are people's panties in a wad?

and need original commentary or lockity lock

Some counties in rural Oklahoma are very small.

and your point? how does this apply at all?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Its amazing that collecting this information shocks you guys, but scraping the fetus out of a woman.. Thats just freaking AWESOME! They should have 2 for 1 Abortion Happy Hours at Hospitals.

Is it too late to abort you?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Its amazing that collecting this information shocks you guys, but scraping the fetus out of a woman.. Thats just freaking AWESOME! They should have 2 for 1 Abortion Happy Hours at Hospitals.

Very classy. Disagree with the left? They'd prefer you die.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: inspire
Originally posted by: ElFenix
oklahoma sucks

This is a direct violation of HIPAA, and the ACLU will be along shortly to end this bulshit on the grounds of federal Supremacy. I work with clinical data for a living, and this is hardly anonymized data. This is a violation of the woman's right to medical privacy and shame on Oklahoma for enacting such a blatant affront to the rights of its citizens.

I can, at a strech, understand the state collecting some of this information. Posting it online or making it pubilcly available through anything less than a FOIA request is unacceptable. If thi moves forward, it should be overseen by an independent ethics committee, and subject to the purview of the NIH.

What's the exact HIPAA language for what can and cannot be disclosed?

The date/age/years of education data points seem pretty suspect.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Heh why are you so infatuated with something that may or may not become a self-aware person as opposed to the woman that already is a person?

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006

Scraping the fetus out of a woman is pretty much what happens. I don't feel bad about that in any way whatsoever. In fact, I feel pretty apathetic about it. Your point?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

It's also none of your freaking business. Don't like it? Don't have this procedure done to you.

But don't forget to give all of your personal medical information to your local, state and Federal governments officials so they can post it anywhere for any reason. Maybe they'll find you have a previously unknown pre-exisiting condition the next time you try to get some over-priced health insurance.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Harvey

It's also none of your freaking business. Don't like it? Don't have this proceedure done to you.

But don't forget to give all of your personal medical information to your local, state and Federal governments officials so they can post it anywhere for any reason. Maybe they'll find you have a previously unknown pre-exisiting condition the next time you try to get some over-priced health insurance.

Don't like torture? Then don't do it.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Apparently, I'm just as classy as you are.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

I'm glad you're paying attention, because you got that exactly right !

And the 2-4-1 abortion happy hours at hospitals is a great idea. You could even let the women drink like a real happy hour, I mean, it's not like they're pregnant or anything.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Fern
I don't see how this set of info could realistically be used to identify any specific person.

Nor do I see why they want the data anyway. What the purpose? The article never said.

Fern

In the small town in Oklahoma I could easily identify any woman in the town meeting the criteria on the list.

It;s small town so everyone knows already anyway but does that mean it should be online for the whole world to see?

A lot of people own guns in Oklahoma, the politicians should re-consider their actions.
Then again keep this shit up and see what happens boys.

you will ONLY know if the person is from Oklahoma, or NOT from Oklahoma...

come again?
you wont know their county, their street, hell you wont even know what City they reside near...

Hello. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and everyone knows every woman of child bearing years. It would not be hard to figure out from a post online. Hell like I said we would already know before the web posting.

Weren't you, just a week or two ago, bitching about something related to you living in Chicago? I call BS.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Zorba
wtf is the issue with this? there is no name... counties arent exactly small...

1) Date of abortion (no biggie)
2) County in which abortion is performed (oh noes, the people will know what county it was performed in!)
3) Age of mother(oh noes an age!)
4) Marital status of mother(oh noes she could be single! or married!)
5) Race of mother (no dont show the race)
6) Years of education of mother (no dont show the education level)
7) State or foreign country of residence of mother (nooo dont show was state and or COUNTRY she lives in)
8) Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother (oh noes?)

Honestly why are people's panties in a wad?

and need original commentary or lockity lock

Some counties in rural Oklahoma are very small.

and your point? how does this apply at all?

Small enough that an "african american unmarried 23 year old with 10 years of schooling" could shift from "statistical data" to "personally identifying information".

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

It's also none of your freaking business. Don't like it? Don't have this proceedure done to you.

Your argument is so completely, over-the-top terrible that it does not dignify a proper, logical response.

Come back when you have something intelligent to say.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ebaycj

And the 2-4-1 abortion happy hours at hospitals is a great idea. You could even let the women drink like a real happy hour, I mean, it's not like they're pregnant or anything.

And another whack job in the P&N forum ;)

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

OK, I laughed.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I don't see how this set of info could realistically be used to identify any specific person.

Nor do I see why they want the data anyway. What the purpose? The article never said.

Fern

In the small town in Oklahoma I could easily identify any woman in the town meeting the criteria on the list.

It;s small town so everyone knows already anyway but does that mean it should be online for the whole world to see?

A lot of people own guns in Oklahoma, the politicians should re-consider their actions.

come again?
you wont know their county, their street, hell you wont even know what City they reside near...

Hello. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and everyone knows every woman of child bearing years. It would not be hard to figure out from a post online. Hell like I said we would already know before the web posting.

Weren't you, just a week or two ago, bitching about something related to you living in Chicago? I call BS.

Well a few weeks ago, he mentioned going boating on Lake Michigan, which is when I implored him not to dock in my home state of Indiana. I didn't want him to defile it. :)

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Still out of touch with reality, are you? Unlike aborition, torture is illegal. :Q

Of course, that wouldn't make any difference to you, and you know what I think of those who support torture, especially those who support disgracing the integrity and honor of of the United States of America like your mercifully EX-Traitor In Chief and his criminal cabal of traitors, murderers, torturers and war criminals. :thumbsdown: :|

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Oklahoma women undergoing abortion procedures will be legally forced to reveal:

1) Date of abortion
2) County in which abortion is performed
3) Age of mother
4) Marital status of mother
5) Race of mother
6) Years of education of mother
7) State or foreign country of residence of mother
8) Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother

Sounds like great statistical data. What's wrong with it?

Maybe I am wrong, but I think its against federal law to require a person to reveal their race on any type application or document. Clearly if challenged to the federal level this will be shot down. I am almost certain, this type of info violates HIPPA, even though no names will be used. Its still personal medical info of an individual. There is nothing wrong with it if a person agrees to the use of the info, but to forcibly require it probably won't survive a federal appeal. This is clearly a tactic to try an intimidate a woman into not having an abortion by creating the fear that her personal info could be become public. This violates the privacy of folks that have done nothing illegal.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: classy
Oklahoma women undergoing abortion procedures will be legally forced to reveal:

1) Date of abortion
2) County in which abortion is performed
3) Age of mother
4) Marital status of mother
5) Race of mother
6) Years of education of mother
7) State or foreign country of residence of mother
8) Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother

Sounds like great statistical data. What's wrong with it?

Maybe I am wrong, but I think its against federal law to require a person to reveal their race on any type application or document. Clearly if challenged to the federal level this will be shot down. I am almost certain, this type of info violates HIPPA, even though no names will be used. Its still personal medical info of an individual. There is nothing wrong with it if a person agrees to the use of the info, but to forcibly require it probably won't survive a federal appeal. This is clearly a tactic to try an intimidate a woman into not having an abortion by creating the fear that her personal info could be become public. This violates the privacy of folks that have done nothing illegal.

Let's play the anonymity game:

The posters here who don't mind this information being collected and posted in public should also be free to provide the following:

1) Poster's county of residence
2) Poster's age
3) Poster's marital status
4) Poster's race
5) Poster's years of education
6) State or foreign country of residence of poster
7) Listing of employment experience in IT or related industry (dates of employment only).

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: fallout man

The posters here who don't mind this information being collected and posted in public should also be free to provide the following:

2) Poster's age
4) Poster's race
7) Listing of employment experience in IT or related industry (dates of employment only).

You are more than capable of making a poll.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Originally posted by: fallout man

2) Poster's age
4) Poster's race

You are more than capable of making a poll.

True, but are you less than capable of understanding that he's making a point, not a poll? :confused:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Fern

come again?

I'm a contractor dickhead. I travel the country.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Fern

come again?

I'm a contractor dickhead. I travel the country.

If you're ever going to be in Indianapolis, let me know so I can alert the authorities.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: Zstream
When people are using tax dollars to fund abortion it is the choice of the people to inact such laws.

Actually, current federal law bans the use of federal funds for abortions. And only 17 states provide public funds. I would bet that Oklahoma is not one of those states.

Your point is invalid.

No, federal law states that in cases of medical disclaim abortion funds are provided by the federal government.

http://www.guttmacher.org/stat...er/spibs/spib_SFAM.pdf

http://www.prochoice.org/about...ts/public_funding.html

Either way, this is a state decision.