This is probably an incredibly stupid question

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
... But how do I connect to my home routers config page if my cable modem has one ethernet port and my PC and router both need to be connected to work?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Uhm, your cable modem has a single ethernet port for WAN. That gets plugged into the single WAN port on your router. There should be four more LAN ports on the router. Your PC plugs into a LAN port.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Modem port to Router WAN port, your PC goes into a router LAN port

your router will have a defaul IP for the internal network, such as 192.168.1.1, and it will give your PC an internal lan ip in it's DHCP range

If you connect the router WAN to the modem port and it doesn't work, then do this first:

1. Power off both devices, unplug the coax from the modem
2. If you modem is also providing voice, sometimes it will have a battery, pull that as well. Leave everything powered off fully for at least 5 minutes
3. Plug in coax and modem power(insert battery first if removed before) only, wait for modem lights to come to a ready state
4. ensure ethernet from modem is in the routers WAN port, then power up the router
5. wait for router to come ready, ensure the PC is plugged into a LAN port on the router, and boot the PC
6. If windows, open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

In there, look for your IP, and look for the default gateway, the default gateway is your router's IP

Put that IP into a web browser and you should hit the router's config page, but you'll a login for it.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Uhm, your cable modem has a single ethernet port for WAN. That gets plugged into the single WAN port on your router. There should be four more LAN ports on the router. Your PC plugs into a LAN port.

I did plug the modem ethernet into the Router WAN port, and my computer ethernet into the LAN port. The problem is that I cannot connect over LAN or WiFi because I don't have the password. When I go to http://192.168.0.1 config page it's doesn't load, it's just blank.

I've tried resetting the router already, too. I am getting a blank config page for both a Netgear WGR614 router and a D-Link dir-615 router. I must be missing something incredibly obvious and simple. Help.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
only[/B], wait for modem lights to come to a ready state
4. ensure ethernet from modem is in the routers WAN port, then power up the router
5. wait for router to come ready, ensure the PC is plugged into a LAN port on the router, and boot the PC
6. If windows, open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

In there, look for your IP, and look for the default gateway, the default gateway is your router's IP

Put that IP into a web browser and you should hit the router's config page, but you'll a login for it.

Attemping to do this now.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
It's connected to the internet now, thank you. Looks like I had everything plugged in correctly but I had to restart the modem and my PC first.

I have internet but I still can't access the router config page at 192.168.0.1. It shows a blank page, but nothing else.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have internet but I still can't access the router config page at 192.168.0.1. It shows a blank page, but nothing else.

Are you sure that's the right IP for the router?

Open a Command Prompt, and type "IPCONFIG /ALL". Look for your IPv4 Default Gateway. That's the IP address to punch into your web browser.

You may need to use IE, or disable NoScript on Firefox to access your router's pages.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
For the Wifi adapter it says 192.168.1.2<Preferred>. For the LAN it says 192.168.1.3<Preferred>. The DNS server is 192.168.1.1. In the online manual, it says the default IP is 192.168.1.0

I have tried using addresses 192.168.1.0-3, with both Firefox and IE and it just doesn't load. It's a little bit strange because the Ethernet connection is working fine.

DHCP is enabled too.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
admin/blank password is usually the default

F*** me, it says it right on the bottom: "Password: password."

As hard as I try, I just *don't* understand why Netgear's website says the default router IP is 192.168.0.1. I mean for guys who install routers regularly this is a piece of cake, but this is the first time I'm installing a router. I feel so stupid :oops:

Anyways, it's working!!! THANK YOU ALL :biggrin: