This is local Ohio news, not Fox or CNN. If you dont like it....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
.... feel free to kiss my buns.

Some folks decided they don't want police to be elevated intellectually and get a seminar cancelled.

Shorty opinion:
We need cops to be smarter than they are currently, so doing anything that forces them to think critically is probably a good idea. Fighting against thinking is probably not so good an idea. If you dont like something called the Force Science Institute (understandable) them come up with a better organization or curriculum. Whining about how cops shoot black folks every day and doing nothing to change it is just ignorant and self-defeating.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When all else fails, empty the magazine...a cording to that article, it's the common pracice...and, just like stop and frisk, it works.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When all else fails, empty the magazine...a cording to that article, it's the common pracice...and, just like stop and frisk, it works.

Umm, I dont see anything in that article which actually tells police what to do in a given situation. I certainly dont see anything that bluntly says "empty the magazine".
Are you just seeing what you wanna see?

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Whoa I had to search the net to verify it's a real story with those outrageous awareness opinions of the event organizers. And it's a true story. And my relatives are from Columbus, along Riverside Drive to narrow it down. Was born with a silver spoon in my mouth what can I say.

Don't know downtown Columbus very well though because only visited it a few times when I was much younger. Been living in San Diego CA for decades.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Whining about how cops shoot black folks every day and doing nothing to change it is just ignorant and self-defeating.

So... the black people being shot have to do something about it... not the people shooting the black people.

Ok, why?

Mar 11, 2004
Uh, OP, you do know that just because you call something "science" or "knowledge" doesn't magically make it true or valid, right? Did you just shit your brains out or something?

You do realize that's also been exactly the problem right? People calling out poor behavior by police but then police (and politicians) refusing to do anything about it (hell, not only that, but it tends to send them into full blown "we're not racist, ok so some cops were 'joking' by spreading racist memes and saying racist jokes, but not all cops, just some bad apples!". What the fuck do you think average people could do to change police training curriculums when they can't even get police to accept that there's any issue at all to begin with?

Umm, I dont see anything in that article which actually tells police what to do in a given situation. I certainly dont see anything that bluntly says "empty the magazine".
Are you just seeing what you wanna see?

Did you read the fucking article?

According to Force Science, this includes the following: "How threatening suspects may be shot in the back by a well-trained officer who made a valid, lawful shooting decision.” Or, “Why officers, in high-adrenalin confrontations, will continue to fire what some commentators will judge as ‘unnecessary’ rounds.”

That's the "science" that group is advocating. Sounds to me like a bullshit Prager U type of attempt to call ridiculous bullshit as "science" to try and validate it. This has been an argument I've seen from a friend that is a cop (or rather see from his cop friends on his Facebook). When people call out shitty behavior by cops they just start going "funny that people are experts on cop training and policy!", while being completely obtuse that's exactly what people are saying is the fucking problem, that cops are being trained poorly and thus are doing what they're told/learned which is causing the problems. That's literally what people are talking about with "institutionalized racism" and the like.

Mar 11, 2004
So... the black people being shot have to do something about it... not the people shooting the black people.

Ok, why?

Reminds me of think it was season 3 of Serial, one of the quotes from the police when they did an outreach with community (but told them they'd only do it if topics like racism and the like were off the table for discussion). One of the cops after getting frustrated says something like "you people need help us understand and help us fix the problem!" when people are doing that but then police just say there's nothing wrong and people can go to hell. Plus with raging pieces of shit like the one guy that was head of that police group (not sure if it was the union or what, but that guy is scum, and there seems to be a LOT of that mentality in police).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Ok, why?
Your deliberate ignorance is downright offensive.

"The MAN" was trying to do something about it and an angry ignorant knee-jerk reactionary society got in the way without offering an alternative.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Years ago, the big push was for verbal judo.
Then it seemed to take a back seat to tactical all the things once police departments started getting cash from the fed and recruits that went straight from the high school to Iraq and then to front of the line at the Academy. The change during the early 2000's when militarism exploded in the states really screwed up some departments.

Now everyone is a fooking tactical warfighter wannabe with a whole "us" vs "civilians" attitude.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Years ago, the big push was for verbal judo.
Then it seemed to take a back seat to tactical all the things once police departments started getting cash from the fed and recruits that went straight from the high school to Iraq and then to front of the line at the Academy. The change during the early 2000's when militarism exploded in the states really screwed up some departments.

Now everyone is a fooking tactical warfighter wannabe with a whole "us" vs "civilians" attitude.

i think the "thin blue line" mentality is one of the most dangerous and harmful things to effective police/society interaction

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Sure seems life was better when they just ate doughnuts and hid in their patrol cars.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I get why this was protested. You might want to read this about Force Science and it's leader Bill Lewinski.

Basically the guys thinks that every police shooting is justified regardless of circumstances.

Reactions: Vic