This is intresting...

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Houston Schools Get 6 Months to Improve

"HOUSTON - State regulators ordered the Houston Independent School District to improve its record-keeping on dropouts and remove the leadership of a school where records were falsified.

Responding to findings that some school leaders manipulated data in order to improve their statistical profiles, Texas Education Agency Chief Deputy Commissioner Robert Scott told the district Thursday that the education agency will dispatch a monitor to review dropout data. "

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=5&u=/ap/20030808/ap_on_re_us/houston_dropouts_1

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Judging from your title, I am guessing that you are from Texas? :)

No just that I thought that it was intresting that the model school and school system Bush pointed to in his election bid in Texas is/was somewhat broken and curropt.

"Under Paige, the district's sharply lower dropout rates had contributed to Houston's reputation as a showcase for the "Texas miracle" in education that then-Gov. George Bush cited in his presidential campaign. Paige, tabbed by Bush for his Cabinet shortly after the 2000 election, has acknowledged "there probably was" a dropout problem in Houston while he was there."

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Judging from your title, I am guessing that you are from Texas? :)

No just that I thought that it was intresting that the model school and school system Bush pointed to in his election bid in Texas is/was somewhat broken and curropt.

"Under Paige, the district's sharply lower dropout rates had contributed to Houston's reputation as a showcase for the "Texas miracle" in education that then-Gov. George Bush cited in his presidential campaign. Paige, tabbed by Bush for his Cabinet shortly after the 2000 election, has acknowledged "there probably was" a dropout problem in Houston while he was there."

A school districting fudging its numbers to get matching funds from the state. I am shocked.....

zantac

Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison

A school districting fudging its numbers to get matching funds from the state. I am shocked.....

More like school districting fudging its numbers to make the model for "no child left behind" look like a solid working program.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
If Bush still has any influence in this, the real numbers will become classified in the interest of national security.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I was being facetious...look at the spelling mistake in your title :) My humor isn't well-received tonight; tough crowd!

You got me ! My fingers have a bad habit of moving faster then my mind can think sometimes.