This is how stupid society is becoming.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You can see people panicking and even jumping on the dividers when an escalator in NJ starts going in reverse. Oh My God. The Humanity!!!You know what they call an up escalator going in reverse? A down escalator. Apparently they never rode one going down before. Maybe they were scared because it wasn’t going the direction they were looking. Turning around must be a lost art. I wonder what these people would do in an elevator that was supposed to be going up went down a floor?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/5-injured-when-nj-escalator-reverses/

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Think....old person with limited mobility, what about the blind? Not everyone's the same. And some people panic for the littlest things...

Apr 27, 2012
Bunch of idiots who need some common sense knocked into them, These people really need to be shamed and pointed and laughed at. How can they be so stupid, just go down with the escalator and take the stairs up

There is no need for panic, Society is definitely getting more stupid and pathetic with crap like these people

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I can understand the very bottom couple of people getting confused, but the rest should have chilled out because like you said it's just a down escalator. Too funny. I hate the first world problem meme but it really applies here.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Hey, it could have been worse. The escalator might have just stopped moving, trapping those poor people for hours!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Zomg!!! Dooooown!?!?!?! We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Lmao @ the assclowns walking up for like 15 seconds haha.

I wouldn't laugh at them, they were probably trying to stay out of the pile of dumb people at the bottom that wouldn't move back.
I want to bet that is how most of the injuries happened, people at the bottom mindlessly trying to go forward into a group of people coming down the escalator.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Bunch of idiots who need some common sense knocked into them, These people really need to be shamed and pointed and laughed at. How can they be so stupid, just go down with the escalator and take the stairs up

There is no need for panic, Society is definitely getting more stupid and pathetic with crap like these people

Your talking about NYC here . What do you mean some people . You live in the jungle thats the mantality of the jungle

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I wouldn't laugh at them, they were probably trying to stay out of the pile of dumb people at the bottom that wouldn't move back.
I want to bet that is how most of the injuries happened, people at the bottom mindlessly trying to go forward into a group of people coming down the escalator.

Not a single person was speaking. A firm and confident "Ride the escalator back down" would immediately work.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Which is why I called them assclowns. Maybe I'm just used to reacting quickly.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Not a single person was speaking. A firm and confident "Ride the escalator back down" would immediately work.

I don't have audio on the computer I'm on, but someone telling the people at the bottom to move would have been a smart idea.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

LOL, people were probably piling up at the bottom not knowing to get off the damn thing and then the people still trying to get on. In all the panic nobody thought to open the lid and hit the stop button?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
bwahahaha i wont laugh when im 80 and thats me in there but oh my god is that funny!

and also, that must be one non-maintained escalator because there are numerous controls to keep that from happening.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
There have actually been some awful things that have happened with escalators in the past. You would be surprised what can happen.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
WALL-E-Fat-People-300x225.png

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Loved this comment in that article:
"They are lucky that’s all that happened. There have been instances where escalators have literally chewed people up into chunks of meat."

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
It sounded retarded until I saw the video in the link, which includes the audio from a phone call. Basically there was a line of people at the bottom waiting to get on the escalator. When in reverse, the escalator is feeding dozens more people into the crowd. All it takes a few stupid retards at the bottom to not get the hell out of the way and it turns into a dangerous situation.

I hate some people so much. We've all met that kind of person. Get out of the way so the people coming down the escalator don't fall onto moving parts and get chewed up by it? Hell no! I have a right to stand here! I'm not moving for anyone or any reason! Example: fuck heads who don't get out of the way for ambulances.