this inauguration is gonna be lit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Possible Trump nutter had fake credentials and tried to sneak in.

And I bet somehow the conservative pundits will try to spin it so he looks like a very fine American.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Inevitable stuff like this would happen. Glad he was caught.

Agreed.

But when did it reach "inevitable" status, though?

Last week?

November?

2016? When did you admit to yourself that it was truly inevitable?

(
This is actually an important question for this entire country and everyone to examine within themselves. It truly is. It will be one of the major questions preserved in history, attached to what...this era will eventually be called. That question will literally define historic scholarship about this international push towards fascism--US, Poland, Italy, Brazil, UK; then the persistent antagonism from bitter, powerful foes of the communism east, etc.). Many PhDs will be minted, many grants and money spent for decades examining this question.

Reactions: jman19 and pmv

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Agreed.

Last week?

November?

(
This is actually an important question for this entire country and everyone to examine within themselves. It truly is. It will be one of the major questions preserved in history, attached to what...this era will eventually be called. That question will literally define historic scholarship about this international push towards fascism--US, Poland, Italy, Brazil, UK; then the persistent antagonism from bitter, powerful foes of the communism east, etc.). Many PhDs will be minted, many grants and money spent for decades examining this question.
Immediately after Conservatives ran out of excuses for this kind of behavior.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

Possible Trump nutter had fake credentials and tried to sneak in.

And I bet somehow the conservative pundits will try to spin it so he looks like a very fine American.
This guy is the perfect example of a True Conservative.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Agreed.

Last week?

November?

(

I think it was inevitable Trump would attempt to seize power at some point. He'd have been in a better position down the road had he won re-election. The mind fuckery would have become intense, I'm sure. This particular outcome became inevitable with the Stop the Steal lie. Trump ran out of legal chicanery when the EC voted a month ago, so he set up this lame insurrection attempt. He's all in & long past the point where one more felony really matters.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I think as soon as Rupert Murdoch launched a news network is was all inevitable. My only hope is he dies soon and his successor chooses not to run blatant propaganda anymore.

Almost everyone is blaming the internet. But I still think Fox is the most responsible for how divided the country is, and most responsible for Trump being elected. Without Fox, the right wing voters, wouldn't have been so indoctrinated to accept a pathological liar like Trump.

Fox spent 20+ years teaching the Right Wing Base to turn off their brains and hate...

Even worse Fox has been made so much money dividing the country that they spawned, competitors, and since those competitors went even more extreme, they are taking audience from Fox, so Fox is going for more crazy extreme conspiracy theory stuff and less news.

It's a mess, and it seems like one without practical remedy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think it was inevitable Trump would attempt to seize power at some point. He'd have been in a better position down the road had he won re-election. The mind fuckery would have become intense, I'm sure. This particular outcome became inevitable with the Stop the Steal lie. Trump ran out of legal chicanery when the EC voted a month ago, so he set up this lame insurrection attempt. He's all in & long past the point where one more felony really matters.

I'm in the 2016 inevitability track--as you suggest; regardless of "when" the power seizure would be attempted--but I think shorty is most correct in the "long arm of scholarship" perspective, in that history will largely write that this sort of thing was really cemented with the decades of alt-reality-craft that were invented, chiefly, by Rupert Murdoch and the hangers-on and imitators that feverishly latched onto that sort of mind-terror-vote profiteering.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Almost everyone is blaming the internet. But I still think Fox is the most responsible for how divided the country is, and most responsible for Trump being elected. Without Fox, the right wing voters, wouldn't have been so indoctrinated to accept a pathological liar like Trump.

Fox spent 20+ years teaching the Right Wing Base to turn off their brains and hate...

Even worse Fox has been made so much money dividing the country that they spawned, competitors, and since those competitors went even more extreme, they are taking audience from Fox, so Fox is going for more crazy extreme conspiracy theory stuff and less news.

Roger Ailes-> Ronald Reagan-> Newt Gingrich/Rush Limbaugh-> FOX News.

Nov 8, 2012
Agreed.

Last week?

November?

(

Did it "inevitably" mean to happen for 2008/2012?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Agreed.

Last week?

November?

(

I want a time-traveller to come back and tell me what they concluded. Everyone (at least everyone upper-middle-class and relatively well-off, which most professional commentators and academics are) mocks the "economic anxiety'" explanation, but these things are always "Socio-economic". It's just a matter of which side of the hyphen gets most emphasised.

That Agent00f guy who was on here berating everyone who wasn't him, at one point poured scorn on the notion that the Great Depression had any causative role in the rise to power of the original Nazis. That's the point where I decided this dismissal of economic factors has clearly gone a bit too far.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I want a time-traveller to come back and tell me what they concluded. Everyone (at least everyone upper-middle-class and relatively well-off, which most professional commentators and academics are) mocks the "economic anxiety'" explanation, but these things are always "Socio-economic". It's just a matter of which side of the hyphen gets most emphasised.

That Agent00f guy who was on here berating everyone who wasn't him, at one point poured scorn on the notion that the Great Depression had any causative role in the rise to power of the original Nazis. That's the point where I decided this dismissal of economic factors has clearly gone a bit too far.

Yeh, 40 years of trickle down Reaganomics have beat the shit out of the middle class. And yet, they still believe.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

wow, really? I don't remember that part about that guy. That's, that's just "I hate how we were supposed to learn things" attitude about people. I hate that.

EDIT: lol, seriously, see a few above^ hahahaha.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Everything you said about Fox News is accurate. But consider that the internet is an alternative platform for accessing Fox News. And also, people will watch Fox News, absorb misinformation, then go repeat it to thousands or millions on social media.

Think of social media as an accelerant. Like pouring kerosene on a fire.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Its gonna take decades to unravel everything that happened, I hope America still exists then.

Reactions: hal2kilo

loafbred

May 7, 2000
My memories of watching some older and painfully unsophisticated people, that I know, become fixated on Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, make me lean toward giving those two the most blame. There are so many that it's difficult to map a hierarchy, but I'll give Fox News top honors.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

Sure there was sleazy political operatives before.

They never had a dedicated propaganda amplifier until Fox.

There is one thing that Americans do to Excess and that's watch TV.

Forget minutes/day of political ads, during election season.

Fox was hours/day 365 days/year of mainlined propaganda. That was the game changer that fried the right wing brain.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It was a progression. Started with talk radio in the 80's, where Limbaugh was king. Fox News as a project of Murdoch and Ailes in the 90's would never have happened had they not seen the ratings and success of Limbaugh and other conservative radio personalities to see how large of a market they could capture.

Reactions: Pohemi

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
It was a progression. Started with talk radio in the 80's, where Limbaugh was king. Fox News as a project of Murdoch and Ailes in the 90's would never have happened had they not seen the ratings and success of Limbaugh and other conservative radio personalities to see how large of a market they could capture.

Roger Ailes and Nixon discussed a GOP TV. That was the beginning.
My memories of watching some older and painfully unsophisticated people, that I know, become fixated on Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, make me lean toward giving those two the most blame. There are so many that it's difficult to map a hierarchy, but I'll give Fox News top honors.
There’s plenty of blame to go around.
Sure there was sleazy political operatives before.

They never had a dedicated propaganda amplifier until Fox.

There is one thing that Americans do to Excess and that's watch TV.

Forget minutes/day of political ads, during election season.

Fox was hours/day 365 days/year of mainlined propaganda. That was the game changer that fried the right wing brain.
I agree with all y’all.

Let me clarify my initial post.

Richard Nixon and Roger Ailes discussed a GOP TV to push GOP Propaganda.

Ronald Reagan murdered The Fairness Doctrine.

Rush Limbaugh in the private sector and Newt Gingrich in the government sector pushed Hate Politics. I mean, PUSHED.

FOX News was the word of Roger Ailes and Richard Nixon made flesh. It’s been nothing but downhill for a sane Republican Party in the 25 years since. And it’s why our country is in collapse.

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
No way in hell will Trump attend. I give it 50-50 that Pence will attend. Trump won’t have anything more to offer to him, so he might try to show some decorum . But I doubt it. Biden will work in a compliment for some of the people of the last administration without a single mention of Trump. Obviously, he can no longer thank Trump in any way, even in a “thank you for your service” type way. That’s out completely. I would guess zero mention of Trump will be in this ceremony. If Pence shows up Biden might thank him for his service as an olive branch for his push for unity (like that's even possible) despite Pence being an almost total coward. Biden should just invite Alec Baldwin and thank HIM for his valuable service. 98% chance Trump will head to his (non) Residence at Mar-a Lago, where he will hold a pretend inauguration. Bragging that he is still officially president.

Hopefully the secret service is paying particularly close attention to those members of congress who have shown by their words and actions that they support the violent overthrow of the legally elected government in the United States. I assume anybody wanting to start trouble is not going to get the chance, or won’t live long enough to do anything.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
How about strong(er) truth-in-journalism laws? Faux wanted to move in on the Canadian market and Canada was like fuck no, we have laws against lying. We need to do the same.

And I know Fox was already taken to court and won the case based on a defense of, "viewers should know it's not all factual blah blah bullshit". That shit shouldn't fly. They obviously present themselves as a news organization when it's almost purely opinion based on lies. They need to be shut down.

How did we get so many fucktarded Americans? Educational system is obviously shit, but goddamn. Do we blame schools, or do we blame Reagan for closing the loony bins? IDK how you can ignore reality like these fuckers do.

I get that they don't see the same reality that I do, but how do they see anything other than verifiable facts? Because they are fed by an organization claiming to be "fair and balanced news" when it's purely propaganda. Then you have imbeciles spouting the nonsense on the floors of congress.

It doesn't matter if the bullshit on the floor convinces the other members present. It's just more fuel for the idiot base if they see the clip of it on Faux or their favorite conservative bacefook or twitter feed. If members of congress want to continually claim debunked conspiracies, they aught to be censured.

The liars need to stop frothing the idiots.

Last edited: