This handgun BLOWS!

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
BTW, my new Beretta .32ACP Tomcat is a jammomatic. Any manufacturer that suggests only 3 different ammos to shoot in their guns is SH*T. Too bad, I can't return it. The gun jams in all different ways w/their 3 recommended brands of ammo. :( The worst jam is when a live round stovepipes at a 45 degree angle pointing at my face. Futhermore, the casings fly straight over my head, some hit me square in the forehead. Anyone considering a small cailber handgun, my advice is stay away from this one. IMO, the load is not powerful enough to cycle the next round reliably. My wishful thinking, I hope it's just the breaking in period. Anyone else have experiences with this POS?

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Denni,
Thanks to our liberal F* Gov't and the Brady Bill, trying is not an option. The only way is if you know someone with the gun, I live in NY where gun rights lose to gun control. :(

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I'd never buy a Beretta after hearing my cousin bitch about his. He's a state trooper and that is what he was issued. You might be onto something regarding the power of the load as well as the break in period. Maybe you'll be lucky and the problem will go away.

I use alot of reloads from a local guy. His ammo is some of the best I have ever seen. He's been a reloader for almost 30 years, and his reloads are better than alot of factory ammo I have seen. All of the local police departments buy from him.

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Ulfwald,
A local dealer swears by it, carries it everyday! I can always send it back to Beretta. I was hoping to make it my everyday gun, so I hope I can find a flavor it likes and stick with that. So far, it doesn't hiccup with Federal Hydra-Shoks. The ball ammo and Winchesters are a nightmare.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MooseKnuckle,

Have you thought about replacing the spring with a lower tension one?

PCAddict,

Beretta is one of the highest quality, most reliable handguns ever manufactured. If God made guns, they would be Berettas.

Russ, NCNE

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Russ,
Thanks, I'll look into that. I'll see how it shoots this weekend, I cleaned and lubed the sh*t out of it last night.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
You're right, Russ. That is what I always believed about Beretta. I was actually suprised when my cousin was ranting about his. However, I don't know anyone else with one besides him and a few others in law enforcement who have them. None of those guys are happy. Personally, I like Glock over everything else. Thew new S&W Sigmas are pretty impressive. I got to try one out when S&W was hosting an event at the range where I regularly shoot.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've owned, and currently own, several Berettas. With the exception of the Model 21 (a little .22 pop gun), I've never had any problems at all. I've put over 5000 rounds of every conceivable ammo type through my 92FS and it has never had a malfunction of any kind. EVER.

If somebody has problems with a high end Beretta, such as the 92, it's most likely because they don't take good care of their weapons. Cops are notorious for letting their guns go to crap through neglect. For most of them, it's just a tool of the job, not a passion.

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've fired Colts, including the venerable 1911. Beretta is superior.

Russ, NCNE

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Point taken, Russ. You're definitely right about cops generally being rough on their guns. I am sure that is the case with some of these guys. But, my cousin's an enthusiast/fanatic. I'll ask him what model it is that he has. Maybe it's low-end, if Beretta makes such a thing.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
My Dad has been a cop for 22 years, he has carried Colts, S&W's, H&k and of course a Beretta. Currently the department is issuing the H&K USP which seems to please almost all of the officers.
Dad bought a Beretta 96 when it first came out (and carried it as a duty weapon for about 5 years), and for the most part has had no complaints. It did however go back to the factory the first year because the slide was scoring the barrel.

Dad's favcorite guns? Colt 1911 and the USP.

My favorite? Colt 1991 and Python

RGN

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Colt 1911 anyday over ANY Berreta! For that matter I'd take my H&K P7M8 over anything BUT my Colt. Look at the H&K P7M12 or P7M13s they maybe on now. Nice hand piece.

As far as the 1911 goes: load 'em slow. Like sub 900fps. I like the bullet to stop in them. If I hit you in the hand with that beast, you're going down...if my aim is ever that bad. ;)

Dang those 1911s just pump rounds! I own one for personal protection only. I pray that I NEVER have to use it. With that said: after 9 years of competition shooting...God help you if I ever have to take the shot.

BTW, High Master NRA High Power Rifle. Pistol a different game. Sight alignment is MUCH more critical in pistol than rifle, but at < 50ft, it doesn't matter THAT much if you take the right target.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
My dad owns a 12ga Beretta Riot Gun. (slug gun that holds 7 slugs)

That thing is so awesome. I went dear hunting w/that thing and let me tell you them things can really kick ya hard when you let a 3 of them zing in a matter of seconds.

Futuramatic

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
I wasdeeply inpressed with the Glock 21. I was taking gun lessons, the guy gave me a mag with 8 rounds in it, I put 5 through a space the size of a quarter (25 feet). Not to far away, but still, in the confines of a home, how far can the guy possibly be from you? I know for self defense you want them spread out a little, but I was impressed :) Especially since it was only my second day firing. Man, it makes my blood burn... I am salivating as I think about it. The smell of mercury, the singe of the powder in my nose...

Prong

Jul 11, 2000
MooseKnuckle,
A good gunsmith can &quot;tweak&quot; the feed ramp to cure that feeding problem. With your stovepipes (ejecting empty brass), replacing the mainspring with a lighter one should cure that. But before you do that, you might look closely at the extractor for burrs--that could cause stovepipes or check the feed lips on the magazine because if they're bent you can have trouble too.
Good Luck

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
Well Italian products have always had a reputation of being finnicky. Australian troops captured well over 100000 Italian troops in North Africa during the war &amp; they were definitly not impressed by their firearms. Incuding those straight pull bolt action rifles with the inner cam (actually a similar action to many semi-automatic &amp; selective fire rifles, except no discharge gas was ported to work the bolt) &amp; those Beretta machine-carbines with the tandem triggers - one trigger for single shots &amp; the other for automatic fire. Which were descended from the Beretta submachine gun of the first World War, which many consider the first production machine pistol. They still make 'em today, but the second trigger is now for 3 round burst. Plus we mustn't forget the 'Kennedy' rifle, which Italian troops used to joke about by saying that if one was on target with one of these rifles they must be a real bad shot, because if lined up right they never hit home.

I know I'm generalising as the Beretta must have done something right to have won the trials to replace the famous colt M1911 .45 in US Army service. But then again the original Armalite AR-15 (M16) rifle made it into service &amp; it was a real POS (not the later A1 &amp; A2, which by then had their problems sorted out). But then again it never went through trials as extensive as the Beretta. As it was first only selected as a perimetre defence weapon by the US Airforce, then later the South Vietnamese started using them, then finally the US Army &amp; marines. The funny thing is the Bitish had wanted to put their newly designed 4.80 'bullpup' rifle into general service, but the US rejected it as it didn't fire the official 7.62 NATO round. Then the Americans go &amp; start buying Armalite rifles that fire the non standard .223 (5.56mm) round. Even though though there was a 7.62 NATO version - the Armalite AR-10.

Probably the firarms makers with the best balance of design, engineering, quality &amp; reliability are the Belgiums (FN, the licensie of most of the Browning patents ***) &amp; the Austrians (Styer, Glock, Puch, etc), who inherited quite a bit of German technology after both world wars. Also the Czechs have a very good reputation too - the reknown Bren gun originated from a design from the Czech Brno works. Hence its name which is a combination of Brno &amp; Enfield.

***The Model35 (1935) Browning 9mm Hi-power (which was the predecessor of todays high capacity pistol with its 13 round magazine) was the only firarm in official service (in quantity) with both the allies &amp; axis during WWII. As they were made in Belgium by FN &amp; supplied to the British in limited quantity early on &amp; later after Belgium's occupation they were supplied to Germany in large quantities. They were also made in Canada by John Inglis &amp; Co &amp; supplied in quantity to many Commonwealth nations, including Australia, Britain, South Africa, New Zealand &amp; the Canadians themselves, during the war. Pundits agree that the Belgium sibling is the better pistol. Actually FN still supplies limited quantities to many Commonwealth forces, including the Australian defence forces.

Redneck

May 20, 2000
Trinitron, Unfortunate Colt has sold out to the devil, aka the Federal Goverment.:|

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Colt recently lost a large military contract to Bushmaster. Bushmaster is now suppling the U.S. military with AR15's. My best friend is a National Guard marksman and he is waiting for the upper receiver for his AR15 that he is setting up for competition. It's been on backorder for almost a year. The waiting list is huge because they have some large military orders to fill first.

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Pcaddict, for an outstanding rifle barrel I've always felt there were only two choices: Krueger or Obermeyer.

Obermeyer excels at small though. Krueger is by far the best large bore barrel maker. Just my .02 though. :)

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
MooseKnuckle
Too much oil is as bad as not enough. Easy there...

I would have the dealer send it back to an Authorized Baretta Service Center with your complaint. They will go over it throughly and test it. You can also specify the brand ammo you want to use and they will tune it to that load. You might need to send a box along with the gun.

The recent UPS crap about only sending guns via air and the expense involved might be a problem. When ground shipping was used, about $8 per gun, the Dealers I worked for always paid the freight!

Generally, after I found out a certain firearm was prone to problems, I promptly sold or traded it. If one expects to use it in a situation that is life threatening, you must have supreme confidence in the tool!

Oh, and if you do send it in, send along any magazines you will use.

PCAddict They buy a lot from the local guy to practice with, but never to carry in a duty weapon. Huge liability factor!

DABANSHEE
Good synop there. I've shot several variants of the Browning Highpower. It's my favorite 9mm. I think the Baretta 92 series is just too big, but that's just me. The ones I've shot all were very accurate and reliable

The M16 is still a problamatic design. Keep it away from sand and keep it dry!