This guy is living his best life

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
He seems to be a guy who likes living on his own terms. I suppose they're going to be trying to figure out where he got the uranium. That's what puzzles me. And how did they know it was uranium?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
He seems to be a guy who likes living on his own terms. I suppose they're going to be trying to figure out where he got the uranium. That's what puzzles me. And how did they know it was uranium?
I'd guess it was in a labeled lead container. I found some radioactive stuff on the side of the road once. It was in a little lead jar, and labeled as to what it was(can't remember now). I was gonna keep it, but figured nothing good would come of that, so I left it on the side of the road :^D

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'd guess it was in a labeled lead container. I found some radioactive stuff on the side of the road once. It was in a little lead jar, and labeled as to what it was(can't remember now). I was gonna keep it, but figured nothing good would come of that, so I left it on the side of the road :^D
Some guys used to live in my house who, IIRC, had worked up the hill at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. I'm pretty sure they have radioactive materials there. They left a super strong big chunk of magnetic material here, and I did some things with pieces of it. Worried, "what if it's radioactive?!!"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Some guys used to live in my house who, IIRC, had worked up the hill at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. I'm pretty sure they have radioactive materials there. They left a super strong big chunk of magnetic material here, and I did some things with pieces of it. Worried, "what if it's radioactive?!!"

you're fine.

the cyclotron is still up there at LL, but I'm not sure how active it is--if it all. Regardless, you can't really transport anything dangerous out of there.

I'm sure the 80 year-old hippies that still hang out every week on the front lawn of main campus and silently meditate/protest would disagree, however.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
you're fine.

the cyclotron is still up there at LL, but I'm not sure how active it is--if it all. Regardless, you can't really transport anything dangerous out of there.

I'm sure the 80 year-old hippies that still hang out every week on the front lawn of main campus and silently meditate/protest would disagree, however.
Yeah, I don't consort with those people. Thanks for the lowdown on LBL. Radioactivity is spooky stuff.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I guess the lesson here is that if you're going to be transporting an armed ex-con, a rattlesnake, and uranium, all in a stolen car... check the registration to make sure it hasn't expired.

Reactions: Thebobo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I guess the lesson here is that if you're going to be transporting an armed ex-con, a rattlesnake, and uranium, all in a stolen car... check the registration to make sure it hasn't expired.
I usually do.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That makes me think of that story where they had that box of radioactive material in that museum at the Grand Canyon....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wonder how much uranium one would need to build a small reactor to keep the house warm, would make a fun project. :p Nuclear powered radiant floor heat.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah but I'm not going to get superpowers from geothermal

Could be an interesting experiment. Since you have some recently-exposed floors, maybe install a Uranium-fueled radiant heating surface in your basement and report back to us? I think there are 2 possible results, next to the heated floors:

1. your feet and limbs melt into puddles of puss-filled sores, like those first responders at Chernobyl
2. you become Hulk/Alkymest.

Reactions: mrblotto

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
..seriously though, how cool would that be? you bury a thick graphite chamber a couple feet under the foundation, load it with your uranium, run a pressure chamber off of that and some pipes from that to run all through the house, steam in the floors on every level, basically. Do you need to off-gas or run a separate electric cooling apparatus to deal with the run-off water?

Honeslty, I have no idea how it would work, but the idea of having a ~20-30 year long uranium rock that could essentially power a home's self-contained, ~safe whole house steam-heating system sounds pretty awesome. Bonus: those bastard man-eating swarming horror ticks would probably never come near that house.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah that's kind of the thought I have in mind, you have the reactor buried somewhere with an access hatch in case you need do go in (would need suit etc). There would be a heat exchanger and then water throughout the house. Ideally you would have it setup to keep the water below boiling, just safer and easier to deal with, but it would provide a constant passive heat. In spring the reactor would shut down, and it fall it would start up again.

For the electric part you could probably use peltiers, it would not be the most efficient but simplest for home use. No turbines or anything needed. Though if you can find a material that will actually glow brightly in the presence of radiation (phosphate maybe?) you could maybe use PV. Essentially a PV cell coated in whatever material that can be made to glow.

Anyone know where to buy smoke detectors, in bulk, online? About the size of a hydro dam's alternator. :p