this guy cut out a notch in the middle of the steel, then pounded each side inward.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
lxskllr is correct.

the harder steel used for the edge is pulled around so the tip is the same as the edge. if you ever see an actual japanese katana being formed the base form has the tip cut with the shorter end on the spine. when hammer shaping the edge the squished material makes the blade side longer inducing the curvature. the tanto tip ends up pushing the harder steel around so the spine looks like one straight line.

with the double edge blade on this knife he has to remove the softer steel for the edge steel to pull around and join. while esthetics also factors in, most knife makers arent going to make a pretty blade with a garbage hardness tip.

Reactions: IronWing

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What I have learned from videos like this is that if Skyrim were real-time, then forging all of those daggers to level-up my skills would have taken approximately 2,423 lifetimes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
What I have learned from videos like this is that if Skyrim were real-time, then forging all of those daggers to level-up my skills would have taken approximately 2,423 lifetimes.
Just so you know, MOST knifemakers take a proper billet of tool steel and make a knife directly from that, using a bandsaw and sometimes a grinder. It consumes remarkably less time and requires less effort on the part of the human.

Red Beard prefers this and in one of his vids he actually talks about tool steel a bit before making his knives.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just so you know, MOST knifemakers take a proper billet of tool steel and make a knife directly from that, using a bandsaw and sometimes a grinder. It consumes remarkably less time and requires less effort on the part of the human.

Red Beard prefers this and in one of his vids he actually talks about tool steel a bit before making his knives.
yes, but imagine having to refine raw ore into ingots, then into the billets and all the components needed....as you do in such games. :D