This global warming is really horrible...

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
May 20th - 47 frickin' degrees - probably 20 degrees below normal.

I hate this crap - thought it could have been short-lived but we've been having nonstop cold temps and lots of rain for 3 weeks straight now...

Mother Nature is a SLUT!

Drive 1000 miles round trip to get a new motorcycle in early April. Bring back, wait out cold weather. End of April, continue waiting. Ooops, May now, rain rain rain. Yay! Rain stopped - now it's cold and we're getting frost warnings overnight.

Total decent rides taken on bike in 2 months - Eight.

I think we need to tell the stupid hippies to stop protesting global warming so much, they're making it cold!

LaBang

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
It really is horrible. Climate change is going to be very very bad. Weather is already starting to become more unpredictable. Think about that. Predictability is what humans want in weather. The rate of increase that we are releasing greenhouse gasses into our atmosphere will undoubtably effect our earth's natural systems. Probably our oceans can absorbe some of the change, but that won't be a good thing.

I think that you need to educate yourself about earth sciences before you start making judgements.

I personally am scared at the ammount of damage we are doing to mother earth. I want to leave a planet to future generations that is the closest to how I was handed it.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I feel that my original judgement, that Mother Nature is a SLUT!, still stands.

She needs to get back to work and make the weather normal - I'm going to drive home with the pedal floored today, getting the worst possible gas mileage, in an attempt to warm it up around here a little bit.

It's getting out of hand.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
We are damaging mother earth...blah...blah...global warming...blah...blah....greenhouse gases....blah....blah....blah..... Let me repeat this one more time.... The Earth goes through climate changes as part of a natural process. Humans may have some miniscule effect on that but I highly doubt it. When Mt. Pinatubo blew it release more "greenhouse gases" into the atmosphere in the span of mere seconds than human beings have in their entire existence. The only way we are going to destroy the Earth is by nuking it out of existence. Anything else we do the planet doesn't even notice.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Be glad, it was actually snowing here in NY today. May 20, and it's still snowing out. Supposed to be in the 60's or 70's by the end of the week though.

astriy

Jun 11, 2001
yeah, stupid mother nature slut. I bought new ski gear this winter and all I had in NC is icy or wet slopes, no powder in sight. had to go out to Colorado for some decent skiing. And it's really sucks here, chilly one day, 88 degrees the other day. if I put my damn jacket in storage for the summer I want it to stay there dammit!!!

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
Anything else we do the planet doesn't even notice.

you sir, know nothing.

Have you not heard of the rainforest? or oil spills......yep nature caused those, it wasn't our faults!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Humans may have some miniscule effect on that but I highly doubt it.

i agree
wear a coat, go ride your motorcycle :)

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Snow in New York?? JESUS!!

This sucks - and dude, I know what you were talking about as far as skiing - I snowboard and we didn't get much of anything for the past few years....

....I feel even more sorry for the dopes who dropped $7000+ on snowmobiles....

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We are damaging mother earth...blah...blah...global warming...blah...blah....greenhouse gases....blah....blah....blah..... Let me repeat this one more time.... The Earth goes through climate changes as part of a natural process. Humans may have some miniscule effect on that but I highly doubt it. When Mt. Pinatubo blew it release more "greenhouse gases" into the atmosphere in the span of mere seconds than human beings have in their entire existence. The only way we are going to destroy the Earth is by nuking it out of existence. Anything else we do the planet doesn't even notice.

You can't possibly be serious.

While I agree that the Earth goes through natural climate changes.. I absolutely don't agree that humans are having some miniscule effect. Even if greenhouses gasses and global warming aren't a threat, we cann't continue to treat our home like we do.

Of course our planet will still be here. But it sure isn't going to be any fun when we're the only things left.. along with our yard grass, city trees.. chickens, pigs and cows. :Q Don't think it will happen? Think we can fix it? Think again.

The food chain has been collapsing for the last 10,000+ years.. It's like the snowball effect.. The more species that go extinct, the more species that in turn causes to go extinct.

I'm sure someone will flame me hard for all this. But Why? Think about it. This is our home, we can't exactly leave. Why wouldn't we take as good of care of it as we possibly could?

Even if our pollution and chemicals aren't hurting the planet(And we all know they are), do you think they're good for us?

And I realize that I, myself, am contributing to these factors. You may say hippocrite - Perhaps. But the first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge that it exists. Most people are in denial - Oh, the planet is fine. It's been here for 4.5 billion years, it can take care of itself.

The masses will only "see" the problem when it is staring them in the face; when the issue is so pressing.. We have to do something about it. That's the way we go about most things, and it's the wrong way. Prevention is the key.

My children are going to be hard pressed to camp in an old growth forest. Most of you have probably never even seen a tree as big around as a VW Beetle.

Sad, I say. :(

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Stiler

you sir, know nothing.

Have you not heard of the rainforest? or oil spills......yep nature caused those, it wasn't our faults!
Macro effects and local events are different issues. We regulary screw with the environment, but rarely, if ever, do anything that has much of an effect anywhere but the place where we screwed with the environment.

Mother Nature - all by herself - can do more damage to the planet in five minutes that you could with a lifetimes supply of PCBs.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
If only there was a way we could figure out how to kill all insects that are annoying....that'd be sweet.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
You need one of these mr. gates. Especially living behind the cheese curtain. It will extend your riding season. I don't leave home without mine.

Widder

Get the whole suit because I wouldn't count on summer being 12 months long anytime soon regardless of what the home cheese makers think.

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
Macro effects and local events are different issues. We regulary screw with the environment, but rarely, if ever, do anything that has much of an effect anywhere but the place where we screwed with the environment.

ok, you tell that to the future generations when the planet is in complete chaos and we have to do something then.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
ok, you tell that to the future generations when the planet is in complete chaos and we have to do something then.
No, you tell them that the global warming alarmists were wrong but we finally caved into pressure from their insane rantings and changed our entire lifestyle and economy and then plunged into a second dark ages in which they get to live.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Instagib
We need more global warming apparently.

Hell ya! I am going to go empty come cans of hair spray and r-12 now :)

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I did my part by driving home as fast as possible - I also remembered to fill my tank on the way home with leaded gas....don't ask me where I found it though...

I'm gonna leave it running all night, hopefully it'll warm up soon!

(Low of frickin 34 degrees tonight, I think I'm going to die)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
There was a story running in SF KGO last week that an enviro-wack-o- group is rethinking global warming and now think the real problem is global cooling. First there is a mountain...then there is no mountain..then there is??

ys

Oct 10, 1999
Doesn't global warming mean increase in average surface temperature? Why are you complaining when its actually cold.

I apologize if I am wrong on what global warming means.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Check out the EPA's website, especially the Ozone maps, to see how miniscule man's effect is on the environment. During the summer months the whole Eastern half of the US has very high ozone levels. Try and find a river or lake in the continental US that hasn't been seriously affected by chemical or other human induced polution. Try and find a place on earth where measureable synthetic chemicals can not be found in the air.

Of course, you are probably right, no matter what we do the Earth will survive. The question, however, is will we survive?

JHalpin

Jan 29, 2001
Ok, someone help me out here. The coldest part of the last "Ice Age" hot/cold cycle of the earth was about 20,000 years ago. You know, glaciers covering large parts of the world etc. Now from what I can figure, this means that on average the world has been getting warmer for oh, gee now lemme see, that would be about 20,000 years.....

I don't think hairspray came in cans back then and I'm sure fossil fuels came much later, lets call it 1000 years just to be conservative. So for 19000 years the earth gets warmer on it's own but it's the "greenhouse" effect that's doing it now?

What am I missing here?