This forum is dead

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Or, you could check the thread in technical issues where people have been posting their own Stylish themes for the forums (that "official" VB theme is actually from KenG who originally posted the Stylish code in that thread). In fact, I'm pretty sure that official themes will never happen as promised, because the community is too quick and successful at making their own, heh.
My biggest problem is the lack of a sidebar with quick links. Weirdo button(wait), scroll, click(wait) isn't an acceptable substitute. I like crono's dark theme, but I'm currently using a firefox addon that darkens all sites.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I know what you mean - I have to venture into P&N to kill time these days.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I know what you mean - I have to venture into P&N to kill time these days.

So true. I try to stop myself when I can.

The funny thing is it's the people/posters that keep me coming back more than anything else. There are a few people here (most actually) I have legitimate positive feelings about, while a Twitter or Reddit feels like shouting into a crowd of strangers in comparison.

Reactions: MongGrel

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My biggest problem is the lack of a sidebar with quick links. Weirdo button(wait), scroll, click(wait) isn't an acceptable substitute. I like crono's dark theme, but I'm currently using a firefox addon that darkens all sites.

I like Chrono's them too, but I need whiteish text for that. I'm too much of a dummy to figure out how to change that in the code. I need dark themes for the Surface Pro that I use in the living room.

edit--Oh, he updated it! now it is glorious with light grey text.

Last edited:
Reactions: poofyhairguy

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
But is there anyway to make it get rid of the dumb bars on the right side and get the quick forum links on the left like se used to have?

Stylish (Addon) Forum Themes

as for adding the left sidebar, I'm not sure if anyone has made one, but removing that right side bar is a YUUUUGE improvement.

I managed to save the forums that I more commonly use within the "Watched forums" tab at the top. It still adds an extra click to another window and I guess I'd prefer the left window again, but I've gotten used to it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The funny thing is it's the people/posters that keep me coming back more than anything else. There are a few people here (most actually) I have legitimate positive feelings about, while a Twitter or Reddit feels like shouting into a crowd of strangers in comparison.

Be honest, you're just here because you're a whore for behind-the-ear scratches.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Write a haiku. Now that is exciting.

Also I'm here. What more could you need?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Be honest, you're just here because you're a whore for behind-the-ear scratches.

nrhjx5yuwaicxs6fqxsi.jpg

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
At the bottom left chose VB Style Experimental. That makes it more tolerable.

Oh, hell yes! Thanks.

My posting (and lurking) here dropped a lot starting about 2-3 years ago. I am not really sure why, other than the fact that I am spending more time on Facebook interacting with people I actually know IRL ;)

MotionMan

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

It is nice hanging out somewhere you've gotten to know people.

Even if you don't agree with some occasionally. Or in P&N a lot of the time for some :cool:

Reactions: poofyhairguy

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Oh, hell yes! Thanks.

My posting (and lurking) here dropped a lot starting about 2-3 years ago. I am not really sure why, other than the fact that I am spending more time on Facebook interacting with people I actually know IRL ;)

MotionMan

Oooo I didn't see they had a VB Style finally.

Honestly, I don't even care much about the look and feel - I want the functionality back, like the proper left-hand sidebar. That little quick navigation nonsense takes far too long. :(

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Also, so long as Ned sticks around and regularly regales us with his adventures, I'll be sure to stick around!

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
Oh, hell yes! Thanks.

MotionMan
You do that intentionally? I come here to get away from them :D

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Hmm. Yeah, I think we're just getting old and the kids don't use forums. Anandtech forums is great for computer hardware stuff and helping people fix issues and chatting about what global conglomerate has the more robust parental controls and the best technique for solving a crabgrass problem. Want to get even more depressed? Poke around some formerly big IRC networks.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
There are fewer techies building PC's today. A tablet or phone could do things only a desktop could do a decade ago. Throw in Facebook and twitter and there just isn't as much need for forums.

I'd rather be DEAD than do Facebook or Twitter, both have evolved into soul-sucking bag's of shit.

Reactions: Omar F1

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that everyone uses sites like Reddit now. Some of their subreddits are good, but some of them have such a herd mentality that they'll downvote your posts or comments to oblivion if you dare to disagree with them.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'd rather be DEAD than do Facebook or Twitter, both have evolved into soul-sucking bag's of shit.

Maybe he's referring to reddit? I don't know - where do they go for actual threads of conversation?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think that everyone uses sites like Reddit now. Some of their subreddits are good, but some of them have such a herd mentality that they'll downvote your posts or comments to oblivion if you dare to disagree with them.

Let's be honest, it would be that way here too if given the chance.

Reactions: GagHalfrunt