*THIS* close to going on a murderous rampage!

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
So, I'm sitting down just minutes ago to begin writing the TWO English papers due tomorrow. :frown:
Recently I've had trouble with Windows 2000's user accounts, but I thought everything was worked out. WRONG. Word 2000's spelling check is screwing up. As I go to fix it, I notice that ALL of my settings are gone, and I can't fix them. So... I go to "repair" the installation. ERROR!? It won't do it. OK, so I go to reinstall it. ERROR, it won't do it. OOOOOK, so I go to uninstall it. You guessed correctly, ERROR, it won't do it. So I go about angrily deleting the program files by hand and then try to install. Huh? It still thinks it's installed! So I run over the registry with a gleaming, blood-soaked machete, destroying anything related to Office 2000. Ah, now the installer will run. I spend about 15 minutes customizing the installation and hit "Install". BOOM!, ERROR, it won't install, and for the love of GOD, it won't tell me WHY! I go to take the CD out of the drive and accidentally knock the case off the desk. Of course, as per jewl case spec, it breaks into 17 pieces, with the CD key sticker PERMANANTLY attached to the broken case. F***! :| F*** F*** F***! :|:|:|
Running Office 97 now. :|

IBhacknU

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like Bill Gates has it out for you.

Just save your work (on floppy) as you go along

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Floppies is suck. I have an isolated fault-tolerant NTFS partition to keep my crap on. If worst comes to worst, I can back up onto triple-redundant Zip disks or CDs.

Jeez, screw this. :| Has anybody here done a paper comparing Oedipus Rex with Oedipus in Colonus? :frown:

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
You know, that sounds similar to the problem I had with Word 2000 last night. I found if you manually delete the old templates (uninstall/reinstall doesn't remove them), it'll run perfectly fine.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I read the book last year, but didn't save the document, and can't remember what the essay was about. Good luck man.

Some online essays about the book:

planetpapers.com has a few essays about Oedipus Rex

Also, 2 essays from essay.org: 1 ("Essay that discusses Oedipus' character traits, which were both strong and weak. I recieved an A on this paper as a sophmore in college."), 2(This essay I wrote is about Oedipus and the tragic flaws that led to his downfall. Got 93% on it.").

None of them are on the topic you want, but maybe they'll have some good stuff to use in yours.

One suggestion, however: read the essay first and fix it up a little. Online essays generally suck, or have some problems.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Well here's a two for one deal. You kill the teacher who assigned the paper. That way you need for murder is fulfilled as well as the fact that the paper will not be due. I fail to see a downside. ;)

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
boy am i glad i have 3 computers which i can use for reports... my friend is coming over right now so we can finish our history project, hope that doesn't happen to us :)

can you use a friend's computer until your problem gets fixed?

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I could use three other machines in the house, but I'd have to install Office first. Might as well go with Office 97 here. :disgust:

The thing that irks me is that Office 2000 is so automated and integrated that it can't be easily serviced if something goes wrong. I don't want to "contact professional support", I want to fix it (quickly) myself and get my papers typed!