This can't be right

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Problem:
X850xt idles at 65 degrees

Gets way to fricken hot even when just using media center (dust buster is whining at an incredible volume)

Just pretty much a stock sapphire x850xt with base clocks and stock cooling

System:

Acer Aspire
X2 3800+
4 gigs of ddr 400
theater 550
x-fi
generic b/g pci card
generic power supply (350 watt i believe)

Actions taken so far:

Blasted all the dust out of the case and I moved the hottest of the pci cards (theater 550 can fry an egg) fartherest away from the radeon and left the smallest/coolest next to it (wifi card)

Case and cpu temps look normal but my maxtor pata hdd is getting rather toasty as well

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Not much of an offer of help, but just letting you know that when I'm running BeyondTV on my Theater650, the fan on my 7800 winds up to full speed, even if i'm just in the menus and and running in Overlay mode rather than 3d mode. Seems that these media center applications confuse GPUs into thinking a full blown 3d app is running, rather than just typical 2d mode.

Not sure what normal temps are for a x850xt, so can't comment on that. 65 seems high for idle though.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
65C is way too hot for idling. Most likely your heatsink isn't making good contact with the gpu. Remove the heatsink and clean both surfaces with 90% isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth. Remount with AS5 and you'll be good.

I had the same problem as you. My x800xl loaded at ~95C, and after remount load temps are ~70C.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Zaitsev
65C is way too hot for idling. Most likely your heatsink isn't making good contact with the gpu. Remove the heatsink and clean both surfaces with 90% isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth. Remount with AS5 and you'll be good.

I had the same problem as you. My x800xl loaded at ~95C, and after remount load temps are ~70C.

65 is NOT too hot for idle but do what the guy suggested anyways

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
Originally posted by: BassBomb

65 is NOT too hot for idle but do what the guy suggested anyways
I should be more clear. Since he's idling at 65, I assumed that his card is loading in the high eighties maybe nineties. Most would agree something should be done about that.

It's unlikely, but if his load temps are fine there is really no reason to change anything.

Warren21

Jan 4, 2006
I have an X850 XT OC'ed n' flashed past P.E. speeds, and trust me -- his temps are normal. I bought an Arctic Cooler ATI 5 silencer HS/F for it. Works like a charm and is slient even at 100%.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004

I will never understand why people go through the hassle of removing HeatSinks and don't lap them before remounting them. I think I paid all of about $5 for my piece of 3/8" thick piece of glass (just be sure that it is bigger then a piece of sandpaper). Add to that a few bucks for a few sheets of wet/dry sand paper and you can make big differences in your temps.

I can't say what your temps should be, but I will say that I have seen some nice changes in temps after lappings. You might very well be surprised at how uneven the surfaces of HS's are.

Also, you never mentioned what kind of intake and exhaust fans you have. Without good airflow, you can't get good temps.