Third Hand smoke danger

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 1999
It would be nice if all the money, research, and regulations concerning smoking would be put into into some of the really nasty stuff that pollutes our bodies and environment.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There is nothing like the Yellow stained walls and curtains of a smoker. Yukk!!!!

How about a smoker carbon tax?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
There is nothing like the Yellow stained walls and curtains of a smoker. Yukk!!!!

How about a smoker carbon tax?
But when they die earlier, they use less carbon, so maybe it's a wash.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
OK, now this smoking thing has gone way, way too far. While there is no doubt that any vapour or smoke released will be absorbed into it's surroundings, and could then theoretically be transferred to anyone touching the surface, this effect is surely completely insignificant. I notice the article provides no numbers at all. I suppose if we were all living in a sanitized bubble on a pacific island where the air is as pure as is possible on earth then '3rd hand smoke' might provide a statistically significant rise in toxicity levels... but in a city? With cars and factories and gas ovens and incinerators going 24/7? Bullshit.

Soon you'll be able to get cancer from being friends with someone who once smoked a cigar at a party. And aids too.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
This is just as bad as when they said that "Laser printers are worse the cigs" because they release more harmful chemicals (Of course, they ignore the fact that the rate of release, amount of release, and the time releasing is very, very small).

Would somebody please point these government researchers to an area of study that, you know, actually matters? We don't need more people finding super slim chances that drinking pure water increase your chance of getting bladder cancer by 0.000000001%

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Something important to note : none of those toxic chemicals would be there without the development (part of this was in 'The Insider') of the use of added chemicals to make cigarrettes more addictive.

Ban smoking? Nah. But we should ban the fuck out of added chemicals to cigs.

I know this probably doesn't relate to your point, but I'd just like to point out that the chemicals that are added to cigs don't change the chances of getting cancer.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Polonium-210 whoa! WTF? Where's the Surgeon General's warning on that one? :shocked:

The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they?re crawling or playing on the floor.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they?re crawling or playing on the floor.

have dogs and/or cats?

Your child is probably inhaling the hell out of pet hair and dander when crawling around on the floor, more so than any "third hand smoke".

gonna ban cats and dogs in peoples homes also?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Originally posted by: Zebo
One reason I hate bars and never go is smoke.

Then you should be happy to know you can't smoke in bars anymore. Unless you live in the south. But thats 3rd world level shit down there.

Yeah, thats why I moved from Chicago area to here in Dyer TN, the south, the 3rd world shit, where my kids are getting a better education then they ever did up north, with better schools, more jobs, less property taxes, and a place where I bought a 2400SQFT home with 3 bedrooms, 3 living rooms, 2 full baths, full basement, 3 different work areas one of which I turned into a "office, with a 2 1/2 car garage, with a work area, sitting on .6 acre for $49.5K
Not to mention everyone around here talks to one another, and says hi, or waves hi as you drive down the road, where as if you did that up north, would get shot.

But the south is soooooooo 3rd world :p I think you need to wake up and smell the air you breath, oh wait, you cant, filled with smog, and can see but a handful of stars, when I can now walk out into my HUGE back yard, smell fresh, non smogged air, no traffic, car horns going off, police flying everywhere, and see about a billion stars up in the sky. If I was to pick which would be close to 3rd world living, it would be back up north with the gangs, crime, killings, horns, traffic up the ass, and people so pissed off that if you just look at them one time, they flip out and go off on you. Best thing I ever did was get the fuck out of the north and move here, and I was BORN in Chicago, and lived in the IL, MO, WI, MI, OR area almost all my life. Its nothing as you may think down here. No bucked toothed people saying howdy ya'll, you wanna sleep with my sister who is actually my wife now? And because there is so much land, wide open space, and empty homes down here property goes for silly ass cheap. My home easily, on this land would fetch half a mill up in Chicago, but got it for only 50K, and hardly needed any work at all. That price you may find in a third world, but not the quality of my hand built, full concrete blocked home, that is rated to withstand Hurricane force winds. But I guess what Im saying, is you have no concept of 3rd world, its no where close to that at all in the south, a complete opposite of the north, with much better people, schools, education, and jobs. Sure you may not make as much as up north, but when your only paying $700 a year on the property I got, vs $8,000-$15,000+ for the kind of property and land I own, you make it back and then some in what your saving. and I just love the Pecans and Chestnuts that grow on my trees, with my Neighbor brings over fresh Asparagus from his field over to my home, like 10-15lbs at a time for free :D

No smoking in bars here either, or restaurants, and we got all the same stores and eating places as up north, just a MUCH better class of people down here, clean air, laid back living, where everything on Saturday closes noon pretty much, and most places are not open on a Sunday, for they are big time religious down here.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Then ban smoking, oh wait, we can't do that because its a valuable source of tax revenue.

This is definitely the same reason we cannot justify use of "green" cars or so called fuel efficient cars because it's a valuable source of tax revenue! In the Good Ol' USA, it's damn if you do and damn again if you don't! That's why most are confused!

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
I hope we never see a federal smoking ban. But I have no problem with the growing social antipathy towards smokers and their f*cking disgusting habit.

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: ultra laser
Tobacco should be illegal for the same reason all the other drugs are.

Except alcohol, of course! You can't abuse tobacco. You can abuse alcohol. Oh, we tried that about a hundred years ago [criminalizing alcohol], it didn't work too well.

Yeah, I agree. For the law to be consistent either all drugs should be legal or all drugs should be illegal.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Atheus
OK, now this smoking thing has gone way, way too far. While there is no doubt that any vapour or smoke released will be absorbed into it's surroundings, and could then theoretically be transferred to anyone touching the surface, this effect is surely completely insignificant. I notice the article provides no numbers at all. I suppose if we were all living in a sanitized bubble on a pacific island where the air is as pure as is possible on earth then '3rd hand smoke' might provide a statistically significant rise in toxicity levels... but in a city? With cars and factories and gas ovens and incinerators going 24/7? Bullshit.

Soon you'll be able to get cancer from being friends with someone who once smoked a cigar at a party. And aids too.

Well getting AIDS all depends what you're doing with that cigar! :laugh:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 0marTheZealot
The data behind 2nd hand smoke is spotty at best.

No, it's not and anyone who is bothered by being around smoke doesn't need 'data' to know it fucks with them.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: 0marTheZealot
The data behind 2nd hand smoke is spotty at best.

No, it's not and anyone who is bothered by being around smoke doesn't need 'data' to know it fucks with them.

You might not like the smell, but it's far from a legitimate health hazard.

The second-hand smoke scare evidence is well beyond "spotty" and damn near fraudulant.

37-Year German Study

Another 38-year long California study

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Study that destroys the earlier EPA study that freaked everyone out

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Zebo
I've smelt this nasty brew on people and always thought it could be harmful but now it's proven.

By RONI CARYN RABIN
Published: January 2, 2009

Parents who smoke often open a window or turn on a fan to clear the air for their children, but experts now have identified a related threat to children?s health that isn?t as easy to get rid of: third-hand smoke.

That?s the term being used to describe the invisible yet toxic brew of gases and particles clinging to smokers? hair and clothing, not to mention cushions and carpeting, that lingers long after second-hand smoke has cleared from a room. The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they?re crawling or playing on the floor.

Doctors from MassGeneral Hospital for Children in Boston coined the term ?third-hand smoke? to describe these chemicals in a new study that focused on the risks they pose to infants and children. The study was published in this month?s issue of the journal Pediatrics.

?Everyone knows that second-hand smoke is bad, but they don?t know about this,? said Dr. Jonathan P. Winickoff, the lead author of the study and an assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School.

?When their kids are out of the house, they might smoke. Or they smoke in the car. Or they strap the kid in the car seat in the back and crack the window and smoke, and they think it?s okay because the second-hand smoke isn?t getting to their kids,? Dr. Winickoff continued. ?We needed a term to describe these tobacco toxins that aren?t visible.?

Third-hand smoke is what one smells when a smoker gets in an elevator after going outside for a cigarette, he said, or in a hotel room where people were smoking. ?Your nose isn?t lying,? he said. ?The stuff is so toxic that your brain is telling you: ?Get away.??

The study reported on attitudes toward smoking in 1,500 households across the United States. It found that the vast majority of both smokers and nonsmokers were aware that second-hand smoke is harmful to children. Some 95 percent of nonsmokers and 84 percent of smokers agreed with the statement that ?inhaling smoke from a parent?s cigarette can harm the health of infants and children.?

But far fewer of those surveyed were aware of the risks of third-hand smoke. Since the term is so new, the researchers asked people if they agreed with the statement that ?breathing air in a room today where people smoked yesterday can harm the health of infants and children.? Only 65 percent of nonsmokers and 43 percent of smokers agreed with that statement, which researchers interpreted as acknowledgement of the risks of third-hand smoke.

The belief that second-hand smoke harms children?s health was not independently associated with strict smoking bans in homes and cars, the researchers found. On the other hand, the belief that third-hand smoke was harmful greatly increased the likelihood the respondent also would enforce a strict smoking ban at home, Dr. Winickoff said.

?That tells us we?re onto an important new health message here,? he said. ?What we heard in focus group after focus group was, ?I turn on the fan and the smoke disappears.? It made us realize how many people think about second-hand smoke ? they?re telling us they know it?s bad but they?ve figured out a way to do it.?

The data was collected in a national random-digit-dial telephone survey done between September and November 2005. The sample was weighted by race and gender, based on census information.

Dr. Philip Landrigan, a pediatrician who heads the Children?s Environmental Health Center at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, said the phrase third-hand smoke is a brand-new term that has implications for behavior.

?The central message here is that simply closing the kitchen door to take a smoke is not protecting the kids from the effects of that smoke,? he said. ?There are carcinogens in this third-hand smoke, and they are a cancer risk for anybody of any age who comes into contact with them.?

Among the substances in third-hand smoke are hydrogen cyanide, used in chemical weapons; butane, which is used in lighter fluid; toluene, found in paint thinners; arsenic; lead; carbon monoxide; and even polonium-210, the highly radioactive carcinogen that was used to murder former Russian spy Alexander V. Litvinenko in 2006. Eleven of the compounds are highly carcinogenic.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01...arch/03smoke.html?_r=1
Just think of it in terms of a post birth abortion.