Third design flaw to hit the GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
Sure, but it's proof NV rushed GP104 without testing it. 980Ti works perfectly fine under the same conditions. 3 major issues present on 1070/1080 is huge. Not giving RX 480 a slide either. This gen from both camps is one of the worst GPU launches in history. Seems paper launches are also becoming a new normal.

Do you even own a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080? I bought my 1080s at launch and I have put in well over 100 hours of gaming since setting them up. I've had a heck of a lot of fun with the 1080 and I hope to wring hundreds more hours, and thereby more value, out of them before they are replaced.

I don't know how you can call the 1070/1080 "one of the worst GPU launches in history." GeForce FX was probably the worst GPU launch in history, and I would say 2900XT was pretty bad too. GF100 wasn't that great either, it was fast but it was a loud power hog. RX 480 was pretty bad mainly for the PCIe power draw issue, but aside from that the GPU is pretty solid for the price.

We live in a world where GPU power is abundant and relatively cheap. I am grateful.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

Lol troll some more, from the OP:

It's an old OEM system, socket AM3, and I've just been tinkering with it forever. Did some RAM upgrades, upgraded from some crap stock Athlon to a Phenom x6 1055T, learned about the magic of SSDs, and finally figured it was time for a GPU upgrade.

other comments:

that you stuck an additional drive, a 150+W RX 480 high-end GPU, and a 125W Phenom 1100T onto an old min-spec OEM Best Buy/WalMart PC from 2007 meant to handle a little 65W Athlon, a single hard drive, and a little OEM graphics card

selni

Oct 24, 2013

Because the fan issue is real but fixed and the 330mhz issue isn't a design flaw -it's the dual link dvi limit and overclocking is never guaranteed. The VIVE issue is pretty unfortunate if not fixable though.

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
Because the fan issue is real but fixed and the 330mhz issue isn't a design flaw -it's the dual link dvi limit and overclocking is never guaranteed. The VIVE issue is pretty unfortunate if not fixable though.

Funny how I recently dig up a Radeon 5450 dual link DVI card and run 96Hz on it just fine, it's even too slow when trying to play 1080p24 h264 with 3D shader in MPC-HC but fine without it. :D

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

So even though 5+ year old video cards can do this just fine, its not a bug?

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
weird that it's only affecting the Vive. I use a Rift with the 1070 and no problems so far. It's also going through a Displayport to HDMI adapter..

I did have to buy the right Displayport to HDMI adapter though (one rated for 4K @ 30 FPS - passive), the older one I had wouldn't work.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011

Thanks for pointing these out. All in all I'm sure these are great cards but I definitely be holding on to my 980ti now as well as keeping my eyes open on any GP102 flaws.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
paper launch. If you only sell 10k units there will be less issues and less bad press compared to an actual launch.

bad press/social media noise was wrecking the 480 before people even had their cards. And it was something regular users wouldn't even notice. Weird situation in the industry.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Calling the DVI overclocking issue a design flaw is dishonest at best, pure trolling at worst. Overclocking anything, including the DVI bus, is always a gamble.

The fan and VR issues however are true issues. But no reason to troll it up by including the DVI OC issues.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Calling the DVI overclocking issue a design flaw is dishonest at best, pure trolling at worst. Overclocking anything, including the DVI bus, is always a gamble.

The fan and VR issues however are true issues. But no reason to troll it up by including the DVI OC issues.

Yes even though because not being able to overclock something is not a "design flaw" that's just absolutely ridiculous to say that.

So you guys are saying that anyone who bought a 1440p 144hz monitor should be punished for buying out of spec hardware? Lots of monitors are sold with that configuration.

Thinker_145

Apr 19, 2016
So you guys are saying that anyone who bought a 1440p 144hz monitor should be punished for buying out of spec hardware?

Even though you could buy a GSync ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 1440p 144hz monitor that won't boot with your new 1070/1080.
What are you talking about? Native monitors run fine or do they not?

David_k

Apr 25, 2016
"Native" 1440 144Hz monitors use DisplayPort not DVI, which is the issue here, running the DVI bus at higher clock than the spec lists, and that is something that only affects reference cards, not the custom ones.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Sure, but it's proof NV rushed GP104 without testing it. 980Ti works perfectly fine under the same conditions. 3 major issues present on 1070/1080 is huge. Not giving RX 480 a slide either. This gen from both camps is one of the worst GPU launches in history. Seems paper launches are also becoming a new normal.

Yes they should be fixed, no they are not major issues - all are minor and are mostly being brought up here for the drama not because this forum is full of people suffering from them. None of them really impact on the 1080's launch which was clearly very successful - for pretty well everyone the cards work fine and are very fast. The complaints are mostly about the price which are fair enough but being as nvidia is still selling them as fast as they can make them suggests it isn't impacting the success of the launch.

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005

Isn't the fan issue fixed? these issues sound like they can be fixed via software/drivers (the DVI issue seems pretty minor given the affected monitors are out of spec already).

The VR issue with the HTC VIVE is the interesting one.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005

That is a pretty bold claim. Your post actually disservices all that hardwork done by several thousands of engineers..

You wouldn't say this if you knew just how many tests (of all sorts) these products go through. There are way too many test cases (tens of thousands if not hundreds depending on the complexity of the product and its ecosystem) in this day and age so Im not surprised to see these pop up.

Yet we sometimes discover these issues which most of the time happen to be minor. All products do have them. Good example are CPUs and GPUs etc which always have their own list of erratas (they are never 100% issue free but on a functional/performance level, these erratas most of the time are considered minor). Now if its a hardware design flaw, it could be a big problem but these issues aren't that.

I still find it puzzled by the "one of the worst gpu launches in history" comment because the 1070 and 1080 are truly great performers (well rounded). Price may be an issue but this just means your not the target audience. Supply.. is an issue too but the people who wanted one has one.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
I'll just paraphrase a commenter:

Breaking news! A Cheap motherboard from 2009 died after being forced to carry a 125W Phenom and RX 480! This is clearly AMD's fault for making components that use electricity!

Lol.

Why didn't nvidia spend some of those billions of dollars in r and d on a vive to test with?

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

:thumbsup:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
That is a pretty bold claim. Your post actually disservices all that hardwork done by several thousands of engineers..

You wouldn't say this if you knew just how many tests (of all sorts) these products go through. There are way too many test cases (tens of thousands if not hundreds depending on the complexity of the product and its ecosystem) in this day and age so Im not surprised to see these pop up.

Yet we sometimes discover these issues which most of the time happen to be minor. All products do have them. Good example are CPUs and GPUs etc which always have their own list of erratas (they are never 100% issue free but on a functional/performance level, these erratas most of the time are considered minor). Now if its a hardware design flaw, it could be a big problem but these issues aren't that.

I still find it puzzled by the "one of the worst gpu launches in history" comment because the 1070 and 1080 are truly great performers (well rounded). Price may be an issue but this just means your not the target audience. Supply.. is an issue too but the people who wanted one has one.

LOL, its RS, what do you expect...No mention of broken CF 7xxx drivers, 290 & Fury flop launches...LMAO!

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
For what it's worth, My GTX 1080 FE is performing very well. I don't have VIVE nor do I plan on getting it anytime in the future.

I notice with sadness that the tone of controversy concerning the new releases by both AMD and Nvidia is rather caustic and inflammatory.

I think we need to step back and applaud both AMD and Nvidia for bring their new cards to market.

Both companies appear intent on shifting us to 16 or 14 nm gpus - a BIG step from 28nm.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
For what it's worth, My GTX 1080 FE is performing very well. I don't have VIVE nor do I plan on getting it anytime in the future.

I notice with sadness that the tone of controversy concerning the new releases by both AMD and Nvidia is rather caustic and inflammatory.

I think we need to step back and applaud both AMD and Nvidia for bring their new cards to market.

Both companies appear intent on shifting us to 16 or 14 nm gpus - a BIG step from 28nm.

Thats quite true. Its been years since both companies had to deal with a node jump

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
So you guys are saying that anyone who bought a 1440p 144hz monitor should be punished for buying out of spec hardware? Lots of monitors are sold with that configuration.

Those monitors do not have an issue, as they are sold using DP. Dual link DVI-D does not support those refresh rates. It's the Korean OC'ed monitors that are affected.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

OK. So lets call it a missing feature and AMD should but it on their box. 1440p 144 hz ready on DVI-D. Having to buy a DP cable just makes the NV card another $30 more expensive (not to mention HDMI cables which are a rip-off).