Per ABC (for the clicking deprived)
Third Exposure to Anthrax
Authorities Launch Criminal Investigation in Florida
The Associated Press
B O C A R A T O N, Fla. Oct. 10 ? Federal authorities said today that a third person has been exposed to anthrax and the case has become the subject of a criminal investigation.
"There is another individual that has tested positive for presence of the virus," U.S. Attorney Guy Lewis at a news conference that included officials with the FBI, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the state health department.
The 35-year-old woman, whose name wasn't released, has been hospitalized and is being treated with antibiotics. Her condition was immediately known.
Lewis said authorities are now conducting a criminal probe into the source of the anthrax, which killed a man last week and was found in the nasal passages of a co-worker.
Both men worked in the Boca Raton headquarters of American Media, a supermarket tabloid publisher.
Lewis said the investigation would attempt to determine how, when and why the bacteria got into the building.
The woman was one of more than 1,000 people who have been tested by health officials for presence of the dangerous bacterium. Most have recently been inside the AMI building.
Robert Stevens, 63, died Friday of inhaled anthrax, a rare and particularly lethal form of the disease. Mailroom co-worker Ernesto Blanco, 73, has been in a Miami hospital since Monday after he was found to have anthrax spores in his nose.