Thinking of going dual monitor if it meets my expectations...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Snapster
7. How much does DVI make a diff? (on either single or dualie setup) I'm currently using analog. I hear it's more placebo and analog is perfectly fine...
Most wont notice the difference, some monitors have a visible richness difference when using DVI compared to analog though

Quality REALLY varies from monitor to monitor. Analog quality is 100% dependant on your card and your LCD's A->D converter.

My 17" LCD looks like crap on analog. It's worse than a CRT, on the other hand, the 19" LCD on my desk looks great w/ an analog, so the answer...it REALLY depends. Actually, I did a side by side test yesterday...two identical LCDs, one plugged into a PCI TNT2 and the other into intel integrated AGP (both analog connections). The monitor attached to the TNT2 looked almost as crisp as my DVI at home, the Intel card looked like it was a CRT from 1994.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: oogabooga
i have a 2005fp and have a 15in lcd that i *could* use with it : but i choose just to single display.

you will need a video card with dual inputs (2xdvi, dvi+dsub, 2xdsub, etc). Or you might be able to plug in a pci video card, but realistically, one card with two is probally a lot less work in the long run.

You can watch tv on one and browse the other : I haven't able to run a game and watch tv (though i really really wanted to :p ) I didn't really tweak too many settings so it might be possible, but i just ended up having another computer run tv video while i play games (which is the comp the lcd is connected to)

with the tv tuner department : i have a wintv-pve by hauppauge. I think a pvr250, it's nice : works well.

dual display is nice : But really probally not the most neccesary thing ever, and unless you have cash to burn, i probally wouldn't. Would i dual display 2005fp's.. probally if i could : but i wouldn't drop extra cash.

I actually have 3...

2005FPw attached to my 6800 via DVI, old 19" Viewsonic attached via dSUB, and my 17" hitachi LCD attached to a PCI card. Looks really sweet, but the damn card kills my ability to hibernate. :(