Thinking of buying a PS4

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Days Gone looks kind of terrible... don't think I'd bother buying a PS4 just for that game!

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Im in the same situation. Deciding between the Slim and the Pro PS4. Told me wife at launch, I dont want a PS4 until the games is released that appeal to me. And now that they are, decided to go with the Pro.

Devil May Cry 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
God Of War
Metal Gear Solid
Days Gone
The Last Of Us 2 (unreleased)
Uncharted

And Death Stranding, but I read that may be held over for the Playstation 5. But ya, Pro for me.

EDIT: And why hasnt there been a Castlevania for PS4 ?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The Pro is the only way to go. Better performance and better graphics due to checkerboard rendering and downsampling.

Reactions: JPB

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Im in the same situation. Deciding between the Slim and the Pro PS4. Told me wife at launch, I dont want a PS4 until the games is released that appeal to me. And now that they are, decided to go with the Pro.

Devil May Cry 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
God Of War
Metal Gear Solid
Days Gone
The Last Of Us 2 (unreleased)
Uncharted

And Death Stranding, but I read that may be held over for the Playstation 5. But ya, Pro for me.

EDIT: And why hasnt there been a Castlevania for PS4 ?

Bloodborne feels like everything a great modern Castlevania would be from the dark atmosphere to the challenge in fighting to just the overall quality of the game. It goes on sale with the DLC all the time for $20 or less on PSN and the DLC is a must since it has some incredible boss fights.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/115727/bloodborne-complete-edition-bundle

Best game on PS4 IMO. Hell, best game this century IMO.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Definitely do it. Buy pro if you have 4k TV, if not buy slim

I would never buy anything but the Pro. You get downsampling so it can render above 1080p and then scale down to 1080p for a sharper image. Plus the performance benefits from some titles.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'd get the pro if you have a 4k tv or are planning to get one soon. Or if you can wait, just wait it out for the ps5 although it will be much more pricier.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, I at one point thought I would get a PS4 for some reason, but kept delaying it...now it's one or more years later (most recent notion was right ahead of the GoW release). At this point, I am definitely saving that purchase for a Zen-based PS. This current generation already feels horribly dated to me. :D

...and I can hopefully get some cheap, ported, "greatest hits" collections for all those games that I missed, or at least from PS4 that, I think should be able to play on PS5 (They did confirm backwards compatibility, right?)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yes, I at one point thought I would get a PS4 for some reason, but kept delaying it...now it's one or more years later (most recent notion was right ahead of the GoW release). At this point, I am definitely saving that purchase for a Zen-based PS. This current generation already feels horribly dated to me. :D

...and I can hopefully get some cheap, ported, "greatest hits" collections for all those games that I missed, or at least from PS4 that, I think should be able to play on PS5 (They did confirm backwards compatibility, right?)

Yeah, Mark Cerny officially confirmed PS4 BC in PS5.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
If 4K is standard with PS5 I'd just wait for that at this point. This might be the only thing that makes me upgrade to a 4K 65" TV.

Still using my launch PS4 and full HD for now.

Reactions: NTMBK

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
If 4K is standard with PS5 I'd just wait for that at this point. This might be the only thing that makes me upgrade to a 4K 65" TV.

Still using my launch PS4 and full HD for now.
The PS5 wont be out until 11-2020. That's too long to wait, get the PS4 pro, and enjoy 4K now.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The PS5 wont be out until 11-2020. That's too long to wait, get the PS4 pro, and enjoy 4K now.

Good grief, people are impatient these days. "I can't possibly put up with waiting one year to play the same games at a slightly higher resolution! I must buy the new thing NOW!".

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Good grief, people are impatient these days. "I can't possibly put up with waiting one year to play the same games at a slightly higher resolution! I must buy the new thing NOW!".
The PS4 is hardly new. It's well established, and has a great category of games. If you have a 4K tv, the pro lets you play in 4K today. Waiting a year for the PS5 will mean either waiting in line for hours, or praying you can get one online. If you
do manage to score a PS5, you will have privilege to play the one or maybe two games worth playing on day one.

Life is too short, get a PS4 pro, and enjoy it today.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The PS4 is hardly new. It's well established, and has a great category of games. If you have a 4K tv, the pro lets you play in 4K today. Waiting a year for the PS5 will mean either waiting in line for hours, or praying you can get one online. If you
do manage to score a PS5, you will have privilege to play the one or maybe two games worth playing on day one.

Life is too short, get a PS4 pro, and enjoy it today.
I never had to wait in line for the PS4 pro when it first came out. Many retailers will have pre orders when it's announced. But I agree, most games when a new console is out wont be that interesting and you will again be waiting for better titles if it does not have backwards compatibility.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I never had to wait in line for the PS4 pro when it first came out. Many retailers will have pre orders when it's announced. But I agree, most games when a new console is out wont be that interesting and you will again be waiting for better titles if it does not have backwards compatibility.

It has backwards compatibility.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I didn't have to wait in line for the pro either, but I can't say that for the original PS4. I had a pre order in for the PS4, but it was months before they called me. I got lucky and got one at Sears of all places. The lines will be long for the PS5.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't have to wait in line for the pro either, but I can't say that for the original PS4. I had a pre order in for the PS4, but it was months before they called me. I got lucky and got one at Sears of all places. The lines will be long for the PS5.
I remember for the PS4 I had a preorder from best buy shortly after it was announced. I did end up getting one quickly. I'll probably pre order it as soon as it goes up when they announce it. I think the 5 will be much more popular so you may be right. Luckily there are also several shops near me that would sell it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I remember for the PS4 I had a preorder from best buy shortly after it was announced. I did end up getting one quickly. I'll probably pre order it as soon as it goes up when they announce it. I think the 5 will be much more popular so you may be right. Luckily there are also several shops near me that would sell it.
I had plenty of stores sell the PS4, but they all got less than 10 units at launch. Sadly 3 of the Gamestop stores near me have gone under since the PS4 launch. I should be in North Carolina before the PS5 launches, and they don't have as many stores there.

Reactions: Oyeve

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I had plenty of stores sell the PS4, but they all got less than 10 units at launch. Sadly 3 of the Gamestop stores near me have gone under since the PS4 launch. I should be in North Carolina before the PS5 launches, and they don't have as many stores there.

Amazon is your best friend. Pre order with no money down. If you score one locally amazon will not penalize you for cancellations. The PS4 went up on amazon for pre-order about 30 seconds after the announcement during the E3 event.

I used amazon to guarantee one for myself right away but then attempted to source one locally for midnight release and I did so I cancelled amazon.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Amazon is your best friend. Pre order with no money down. If you score one locally amazon will not penalize you for cancellations. The PS4 went up on amazon for pre-order about 30 seconds after the announcement during the E3 event.

I used amazon to guarantee one for myself right away but then attempted to source one locally for midnight release and I did so I cancelled amazon.
This is perfect for me! Thanks cmdrdredd!!!