Thinking of *ahem* getting a PS3 game

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm a PC Gamer through and through, but recently I was discussing some of the old RPGs I used to play on consoles (mainly the Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy series') and how much I loved them. The last console RPG I played was Kingdom Hearts 2 for PS2, which I really enjoyed, even though it was quite childish. FFX, Dragon Quest VIII, Star Ocean, and Xenosaga were also very good in my opinion.

So I'm wondering if there are any decent RPGs (Square Enix style preferable) out there yet for the PS3? I've only noticed Folklore, which looks more like an action game, plus it only received mixed reviews. It appears the next part(s) of the FF series will be coming eventually, but probably not until next year.

I've had my PS3 for a few months now, but have never seen any games on it because I only use it for movies, games are for the PC, but I'm kind of interested to see what the PS3 games look like compared to my PC and on the bigger screen, so some eye candy would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help. :beer:

KT

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
If you want that kind of RPG or RPGs in general, stick to the PS2. There isn't anything on the Ps3 like that.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: aurareturn
If you want that kind of RPG or RPGs in general, stick to the PS2. There isn't anything on the Ps3 like that.

Well that's disheartening. I feel as if I've played all of the good PS2 RPGs, plus I want to see something with next-gen graphics.

I guess all I can do is hold my breath and wait? :(

KT

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Disgaea 3 is coming in August.
Valkyria Chronicles coming in the fall.
White Knight Chronicles sometime in the future.
Eternal Sonata sometime this year.
The Last Remnant who knows.
Enchanted Arms - out now but you'll want to skip

Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery (what a title) are exclusive to the 360 for now.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery (what a title) are exclusive to the 360 for now.

Lol Infinite Undiscovery, something lost in translation there?

I've never heard of any of those. I guess I'll look into those first two since everything else seems to be so up in the air (or is not worth looking at).

Thanks Q-man! :p

KT

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
there are probably more then a handful of jrpgs.... in japanese. since ps3 games arent region locked, you can technically play them, but unless you are fluent in japanese, you probably cant play them.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: randay
there are probably more then a handful of jrpgs.... in japanese. since ps3 games arent region locked, you can technically play them, but unless you are fluent in japanese, you probably cant play them.

Yeah that doesn't really help. I wish I was fluent in Japanese (I love japan) but alas, it is not so. Thanks anyway though.

KT

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
If you have a 60GB or 80GB model with backwards compatibility I would suggest getting Disgaea 2 for the PS2 to tide you over until the "real" JRPGs show up for the platform.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Queasy

Lol Infinite Undiscovery, something lost in translation there?

I've never heard of any of those. I guess I'll look into those first two since everything else seems to be so up in the air (or is not worth looking at).

Thanks Q-man! :p

KT

Eternal Sonata is a great RPG, though it is currently only 360 right now. I recommend it when it comes to PS3.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
There is sadly nothing out yet :(
I'm in the same boat as you. There's a demo for Folklore on PSN, I'm going to try that.
I'm fortunate in that I never had a PS2, though, so at least I can mine that to keep me busy until White Knight Chronicles comes out, I'm looking forward to that.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Chris
If you have a 60GB or 80GB model with backwards compatibility I would suggest getting Disgaea 2 for the PS2 to tide you over until the "real" JRPGs show up for the platform.

Only the 20GB. How big are the games though? I can't imagine a PS2 game is more than 20GB. I did look at footage for Disgaea 3 and, well, it looks like a PS2 game, though I guess parts of the action looked pretty fun.

Originally posted by: Schfifty Five
Eternal Sonata is a great RPG, though it is currently only 360 right now. I recommend it when it comes to PS3.

Just watched some gameplay clips, looks quite good. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: nakedfrog
There is sadly nothing out yet :(
I'm in the same boat as you. There's a demo for Folklore on PSN, I'm going to try that.
I'm fortunate in that I never had a PS2, though, so at least I can mine that to keep me busy until White Knight Chronicles comes out, I'm looking forward to that.

Oh wow, that game looks amazing. Just watched some gameplay footage and I'm thoroughly impressed. Thanks for the heads up on the Folklore demo, I'll check that out.

Anyone have an opinion on which is the best looking PS3 game right now? I was thinking of hitting the rental store just so I can see what the PS3 can do on my TV. Don't care about type of game or anything, just want something that looks really good, preferably in 1080p.

KT

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
I was hoping for some games like that as well, but i just isn't so. A major disappointment considering what was available for the PS2.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: VIAN
I was hoping for some games like that as well, but i just isn't so. A major disappointment considering what was available for the PS2.

Yeah, these are the only games that appeal to me on consoles, so it is quite disappointing.

By the way I watched some footage of Valkyria Chronicles and I'm really nto sure what to make of it. Seems like a pretty strange game. The graphics look interesting (kind of foggy, anime type stuff), but I'm not so sure about the gameplay, it looks kind of awkward.

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Besides the initial learning curve for development, PS3 lost a year's worth of momentum with publishers from the poor sales in most of 2007.

Wii outselling the PS3 and 360 combined also mean it and the DS are the most attractive platforms for JRPGs to publishers, except when they want to show off with a big, 720p "next gen" title.

PS3 sales are double last year and developers are getting the tools and knowledge to work with it, so the JPRGs will arrive eventually. But many will be cross-platform with 360 or even ports from Wii.

Meanwhile there are still good PS2 releases like Persona 3 FES to keep busy with while we wait.

mlm

Feb 19, 2006

Only the 20GB. How big are the games though? I can't imagine a PS2 game is more than 20GB. I did look at footage for Disgaea 3 and, well, it looks like a PS2 game, though I guess parts of the action looked pretty fun.

?

The size of the harddrive has no bearing on the game. The stock drive just determines whether you have a system that can play PS2 games. (US 40GB cannot)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Besides the initial learning curve for development, PS3 lost a year's worth of momentum with publishers from the poor sales in most of 2007.

Wii outselling the PS3 and 360 combined also mean it and the DS are the most attractive platforms for JRPGs to publishers, except when they want to show off with a big, 720p "next gen" title.

PS3 sales are double last year and developers are getting the tools and knowledge to work with it, so the JPRGs will arrive eventually. But many will be cross-platform with 360 or even ports from Wii.

Good points. I never thought about that. Are console-to-console ports generally that bad? I know what console-to-PC ports are like. :thumbsdown:

Originally posted by: mlm

?

The size of the harddrive has no bearing on the game. The stock drive just determines whether you have a system that can play PS2 games. (US 40GB cannot)

I assumed he was asking if I had enough space. I didn't buy this thing to play games, it's for movies, so I was not concerned about hard drive size at all and I'm still not. I didn't even realize there was a difference in features between the different ones, just a difference in HD size. Anywho, thanks for clarifying.

KT

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I assumed he was asking if I had enough space. I didn't buy this thing to play games, it's for movies, so I was not concerned about hard drive size at all and I'm still not. I didn't even realize there was a difference in features between the different ones, just a difference in HD size. Anywho, thanks for clarifying.

KT

Yeah was asking to determine the possibility of B/C. 20GB and 60GB have full. 80GB has partial. 40GB has none. US models.

Disgaea 3 looks like a PS2 game because Disgaea 1 & 2 look like PS1 games :D Nonetheless they are really funny games. They are more like Final Fantasy Tactics than Final Fantasy proper though. Don't know if turn-based strategy is what you want.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Why is it that no one on this forum can buy a ps3 game without assistance? Is the PS3 library really that bad? I mean, I'll be honest, there aren't too many games for the system that I would describe as "Must-Haves" but geez.. If its a sequel to a game you liked in the past, you should probably try it..

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Good points. I never thought about that. Are console-to-console ports generally that bad? I know what console-to-PC ports are like.

360 and PS3 multiplatform should be fine. Ports from wii may be bad since the maximum resolution of it is 480p. Unless creating higher-resolution art assets was planned from the start a port from wii might look like an upscaled xbox-1 game instead of true 720p.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

Yeah was asking to determine the possibility of B/C. 20GB and 60GB have full. 80GB has partial. 40GB has none. US models.

Disgaea 3 looks like a PS2 game because Disgaea 1 & 2 look like PS1 games :D Nonetheless they are really funny games. They are more like Final Fantasy Tactics than Final Fantasy proper though. Don't know if turn-based strategy is what you want.

Yeah cool, I didn't realize that. Turn-based is a-ok as long as it is done well. I'll look for some vids of Disgaea 2 to see if it looks appealing. How much do those games cost to download anyway?

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
Why is it that no one on this forum can buy a ps3 game without assistance? Is the PS3 library really that bad? I mean, I'll be honest, there aren't too many games for the system that I would describe as "Must-Haves" but geez.. If its a sequel to a game you liked in the past, you should probably try it..

So I shouldn't ask the community here, that has MUCH more experience with these games than I do (I have zero experience) for recommendations? I don't see any sequels to anything I liked in the past, which is part of the problem, plus I have very particular tastes when it comes to console games, so i thought I would try and find recommendations from those that know.

Not sure why I'm justifying my thread to you though. Thanks for dropping in.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Good points. I never thought about that. Are console-to-console ports generally that bad? I know what console-to-PC ports are like.

360 and PS3 multiplatform should be fine. Ports from wii may be bad since the maximum resolution of it is 480p. Unless creating higher-resolution art assets was planned from the start a port from wii might look like an upscaled xbox-1 game instead of true 720p.

Ahh, right, forgot about the craptastic max resolution of the Wii (I know it's not the point of the Wii, but still).

KT

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
...I have very particular tastes when it comes to console games, so i thought I would try and find recommendations from those that know.

Then why defer to the tastes of others? :confused:

it just seems.. odd.

Go with what you know man! Get a gamefly account and live dangerously!!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
...I have very particular tastes when it comes to console games, so i thought I would try and find recommendations from those that know.

Then why defer to the tastes of others? :confused:

it just seems.. odd.

Go with what you know man! Get a gamefly account and live dangerously!!

Gamefly doesn't work in Canada. If I lay out my taste in the thread, which I did in the OP, then those with similar tastes can help someone like me that doesn't follow console gaming. I don't think it's that hard to understand.

KT

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah cool, I didn't realize that. Turn-based is a-ok as long as it is done well. I'll look for some vids of Disgaea 2 to see if it looks appealing. How much do those games cost to download anyway?

KT

Download? You have to buy the discs :D