Thinking about two Vertex 3s in raid 0

Juji

Jan 15, 2011
Hi, my c300 is almost full and i need some more ssd space so i thought i'd ask in here if i should put two Vertex 3 120GB disks in raid.

I have a p8p67 from asus and will be running then off the intelchip.
I've heard that the garbage collection is quite good, but how is it in raid?

So thoughts about if i should do it or not?
Thanks for all help :)

Juji

Jan 15, 2011
its for games, i use an c300 for os and games, that one is now full, so i want twice the capacity that one gives me so i can install things again and still have some room left on the drive:p

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
A Raid 0 still sounds unnecessary in my opinion. Why not just get a second second drive and install your games on one ssd and OS on the other?

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Hi, my c300 is almost full and i need some more ssd space so i thought i'd ask in here if i should put two Vertex 3 120GB disks in raid.

I'd have no problem with that and only wish I had the cash to do. :'(

I vote Go for it! :)

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
The advantages/disadvantages of RAID0 SSDs vs single large SSD aren't huge and pretty much balance out. Go with whichever is most economical for the amount of storage you want.

Usually that will be the single SSD, but large SSDs get disproportionately expensive in a hurry so it's not always the case. Also, two drives may mean two rebates.

Juji

Jan 15, 2011
The single Vertex 3 240GB is about 40 dollars or something cheaper than 2 120GB ones so i thought i'd just go for it ;)

Yeah i know i could've just bought 1 and install games on that but i kinda wanted to raid 2 and see how they do, not the most economical choice i've taken recently, but passing my exams kinda make me want a reward.

Thanks for the input guys :)

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I've used the Intel 80GB G1s & G2s, Vertex2s, and now I'm using Crucial 256GB C300s in RAID0.

The increased speeds are very nice but just make sure you have a back-up. ;)

IDK what chipset you're using but the Intel stuff is the best.

Come back if you need any help.

Juji

Jan 15, 2011
I've used the Intel 80GB G1s & G2s, Vertex2s, and now I'm using Crucial 256GB C300s in RAID0.

The increased speeds are very nice but just make sure you have a back-up. ;)

IDK what chipset you're using but the Intel stuff is the best.

Come back if you need any help.

How does that work regarding garbage collection on those 2 drives?
I will be running it of the intel chipset on a p8p67 pro board.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
How does that work regarding garbage collection on those 2 drives?
I will be running it of the intel chipset on a p8p67 pro board.

the GC will still work on the drives in raid0, but you'll want to manually clean the drives every so often yourself