Thinking about taking up Pipe Smoking

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
inglouriousbasterds8700.jpg

is that from inglorious basterds? I should watch that movie....that pipe is ridiculous.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I now know what to get myself for my birthday. A pipe to smoke tobacco out of.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Does the shape make a difference in the smoke?

Yea it does. It's been a long time since I've been into pipes, so I'm not as well versed as I used to be. I can't really recall all the differences. Your best bet would be to find a dedicated pipe forum. There's some good ones out there, with a lot of information for newbies. I could ask around and get you the name of a good one, but Google would probably work just as well.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Meh wasn't looking to get into the game but just was wondering. Thanks though

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You think cigars are expensive, try getting INTO pipes :^D If you take it up as a hobby, it can be a huge money sink, but it's fun, and the people are almost uniformly awesome :^)

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
You think cigars are expensive, try getting INTO pipes :^D If you take it up as a hobby, it can be a huge money sink, but it's fun, and the people are almost uniformly awesome :^)

Cigars can be quite expensive as well =D moderation....

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005

Cigars are damn expensive. I'll stick to that... clearly I can't afford a pipe ;)

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Something along the lines of the 602 was my preferred shape.

My dad has/had a few that look exactly like those, not sure if he threw them out or not. He used to smoke a pipe but I don't really remember it as I was very young and by the time I can remember he had stopped. Started again when I was in high school but very infrequently, not sure if he still does on occasion. I love the smell of pipe smoke though.

He has never had a health issue from it.

Cigars don't smell the same as a pipe to me, I don't like them as much and they don't have that "air of sophistication" that I associate with pipes.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Fun stuff OP. If I can find my pipe, I'll be smoking when it warms up a bit.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Fun stuff OP. If I can find my pipe, I'll be smoking when it warms up a bit.

cheers. dougp messaged me saying he's got a pipe for sale that he just bought....might take him up on that. Will also see if they have sample pipe tobacco I can buy...how much is that stuff anyway? It will probably last me forever. Could I use hookah tobacco?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think hookah tobacco is too moist, but I'm not familiar. Your best best would be to go to a tobacco shop. The guys there will be knowledgeable with recommendations, and should give you a free pipeful to try one out(take your pipe).

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I think hookah tobacco is too moist, but I'm not familiar. Your best best would be to go to a tobacco shop. The guys there will be knowledgeable with recommendations, and should give you a free pipeful to try one out(take your pipe).

I don't know if they can still do that here....its illegal to smoke indoors now I think....I wouldn't really know I just know you cant smoke at bars or restaurants...or anywhere that used to offer indoor smoking.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't know if they can still do that here....its illegal to smoke indoors now I think....I wouldn't really know I just know you cant smoke at bars or restaurants...or anywhere that used to offer indoor smoking.

MD is the same way, but tobacco shops are exempt. It would be retarded to have laws otherwise, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some states banned smoking in a tobacco shop :^S

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
MD is the same way, but tobacco shops are exempt. It would be retarded to have laws otherwise, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some states banned smoking in a tobacco shop :^S

I'm sure they are exempt here....I just wouldn't know because i've never actually been into a serious smoke shop.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Look for Cigar shops because all of the ones I'v been to have a plethora of pipe tobacco.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006

Yeah, hookah is way too moist. It's real sticky and gooey. I second the idea of talking to the guy at the 'baccy shop.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
picked up a pipe and some tobacco today. It was just their house blend, black cherry flavored. The pipes were on sale....its a pretty nice looking pipe...cost about 15 bucks, the tobacco was 5 bucks. I should have just gotten a corncob pipe, since it was a little cheaper.

haven't puffed on it yet but I might later on.

Last edited: