Thinking about quitting my job....

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I'm thinking about leaving my job tomorrow morning. :( I've been with them for over 2 years now but it's been at the point where I just don't feel it's worth it anymore. I pretty much spend 50-55 hours a week getting b*tched at by unhappy customers and unhappy supervisors. Every morning I spend a good 10 minutes in bed after my alarm goes off wondering "how bad can it possibly be if I just quit today?" Reluctantly, I drag myself out of bed and off to work hoping to God it won't be as bad as the day before, but lately it always is.

For those wondering I'm currently making a paltry $11.00 an hour. I'd rather not say where because I don't want to tip off my current employer if they happen to read these forums. But I was wondering if anyone knows decent temporary jobs I could pursue for the time being until I find a better one. I have a Bachelor's in Business Admin. and a good 5 years of work experience mostly relating to customer service and retail sales.

I've even considered applying to the local post office and working on mail trucks at night if the pay was decent enough. I just need something to tide me over while I apply for a more career-oriented field.

I only need about $1,300/month take home pay to live off of.

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Option 1, quit job.

Option 2, barrel in mouth, pull trigger.

I would say take option 1.

Dec 10, 2005
Make sure you take back your stapler on the way out.

But realistically, you should try lining up a job before quiting your current job.

WombRaider

Banned
Jun 21, 2007
You have a college degree and only make $11/hour. Someone who didn't graduate from high school could make more than that.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
$11 an hour = $23,000 year

How on earth do you live on that budget? I make $44K and I'm still struggling to pay off my CC.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: WombRaider
You have a college degree and only make $11/hour. Someone who didn't graduate from high school could make more than that.

I'm a Senior in HS and I make $1.50 more then that. Time to find a new job.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

How on earth do you live on that budget? I make $44K and I'm still struggling to pay off my CC.

Not everyone wastes money like a douchebag.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

My wife and I currently live off of 28K/year, as I'm in grad school. I'm going to go ahead and say, location.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: tfinch2

:thumbsup:

44K is easily live-able if you know what the hell you're doing with it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Like everyone said, don't quit your job until you have another one lined up.

Don't just look at office jobs. Have you considered applying to become an apprentice and learning a trade? You can probably make your needed take home pay during your apprenticeship. Electrical and plumbing are fields I really recommend to young men looking for a career change.

MadPeriot

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2003
I share the same experience before. Hated my job and dragging my feet into work everyday unhappy. Didn't know where I was going, hated my coworkers, my boss, what I did etc. I was lucky enough to start a new career as a tennis instructor working out doors with kids and parents. I love my life now because of the drastic change. I went from IT to tennis! One door closes another opens, you'll be fine with a plan.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
You have a B.S. in Business and you're only making $11 an hour. That company is taking such an advantage over you, and you should be making at least $35K.

Quit now.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
just fing quit

i did that like 6 weeks ago

took a month off, unless you are stupid with money you should eaisily be able to swing that

i have a new job, much better pays more ext, month off was much needed

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I'd say talk to your boss. What have you got to lose? I mean unless you're doing unskilled labor, be aggressive. Ask what the fsck is going on. And then in the meanwhile line up another job. Don't think you can get an intermediate job. Because that screws you into complacency. Seek out a new job.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Originally posted by: tfinch2

:thumbsup:

44K is easily live-able if you know what the hell you're doing with it.
My parents raised two kids on less than that. We somehow were still able to easily afford computers, cable TV, a riding lawnmower, and various other luxuries like that.

If it was just me making that kind of money, I wouldn't know what to do with it all. Probably just invest it until I figure out something.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Heh, seems like have of y'all say quit the other half say stick with it. :)

I'm still undecided though. What I do know for sure from talking to my boss's boss is that I likely won't be advancing anytime soon, like for the next 5-6 months, and that's what is really encouraging me to want to make a change. I just feel that taking the plunge will force me to get serious about looking for a career-related job that fits in with my education.

May 16, 2000

Just don't use credit, and don't choose to live in an expensive area. I've never made much more than him and I supported a family and live quite well.