Thinking about playing RAGE again...

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Not recently no. Played it at release and thought it was a fun game with good shooting mechanics despite the megatexture pop-in mess. I don't really blame Carmack as it was designed for the restrictions of 360/ps3 but I'm glad to see they won't be using it in idtech 6 for new Doom.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
played it, beat it. really didn't like it. worse than doom 3 and the vehicle sections were just painful, like all the sudden my PC game becomes a console port.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
standing still (back) looking at the game world was amazing. Moving and getting close to anything was disgustingly horrible.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Those were the MEGA textures LOL

Wrong.

Rage's failure was that the megatextures took up so much space they had to cut corners elsewhere. Megatextures were NOT on objects, but limited to terrain; why you see great terrain everywhere and super-low res textures on some objects.

However, it wasn't the graphics that killed Rage, it was the gameplay. Doom 3 pushed the boundaries of the 'same old gameplay' where you just walk around and shoot, modern gamers want exp, upgrades, bells and whistles. Rage was basically Quake with cars and better graphics (at least mostly lol).

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
rage had a limited form of strafejumping, with a low max UPS. and nowhere to use it, as most action took place in tight enclosed spaces.
the guns weren't great and the story was bland.

also, without a hack (which you can find with 30 sec of googling) you would get texture popping. a youtuber managed to fix them, but id could not. SERIOUSLY.

my guess..

both that id is a small team, and that they don't have good leadership.
although i am looking forward to doom 4, i doubt id will ever be able to put out another game as great as doom2 or quake 3.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I really enjoyed Rage + Scorchers DLC, and I plan on replaying it in the future.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It was a forgettable game for me. For $15, Mad Max feels like a better game all around.