Thinking about picking up the witcher

nitro28

Dec 11, 2004
I am mainly a FPS player, however I did like Oblivion a lot. Is the Witcher similar to Oblivion?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
its nothing like Oblivion.

it's 3rd person and seems very linear, from what i saw in the demo.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
Not at all... in fact take all the RPG aspects of Oblivion and reverse them - Third person view (isometric or over the shoulder), great/better storyline that makes the game fairly linear, well developed characters, not as action orientated, doesn't focus on loot so much as to using your skills to make you fight better, main quests are very long spanning into several chapters of the game... I could go on, but I think you see the point.

It's a great game if your really into RPG elements, as I've said the character development and storyline are well done. Don't expect too much on the combat side, because all you pretty much do is do a series of timed clicks while your character does cool combos and finishing moves, add in a few spells and there you have it.

EDIT: There is a demo available of the tutorial and the whole first chapter of the game. Try that and see if you like it.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
it's 3rd person and seems very linear, from what i saw in the demo.

Originally posted by: Chriscross3234
EDIT: There is a demo available of the tutorial and the whole first chapter of the game. Try that and see if you like it.

If you do try the demo, don't make your decision solely on it. The demo is EXTREMELY linear and not a very good example of the rest of the game. Keep that in mind.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Nothing like oblivion, but still very very good. I enjoyed it tremendously the first time through. I'm going to go back in a few months and run through with a different buiold and make different choices.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I'm really enjoying it so far. I had to restart Chapter II because I made some poor decisions but after some initial apprehension, I've really come to appreciate this game.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
I think I'll pick this up, I don't remember why I put it off for so long. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more than Oblivion which I found a little boring after a handful of hours lol.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I played the demo and decided it was a 'never buy' for me... thought it was pretty bad.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Blargh, it's not bad but... some things are driving me crazy.

The hit/collision detection when you're fighting and moving around. The random CTDs and occasional lag during cut scenes. Time to find some fixes for the 1.2 patch!

buddhatb

Feb 18, 2007
I have installed the demo twice, but every time I try running the Witcher demo, I get the following error message. I give up trying to play the demo. LOL.

The application has failed to start because d3dx9_25.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: buddhatb
I have installed the demo twice, but every time I try running the Witcher demo, I get the following error message. I give up trying to play the demo. LOL.

The application has failed to start because d3dx9_25.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Install the latest quarterly build of Direct X 9.0C (10/25/2007)

If that fails, manually copy the file.

Yep needs latest DX9 version(even in Vista),sad fact is a lot of gamers don't bother with checking their DX version or drivers,if you are a gamer you should know the importance of keeping those up todate,that's how I avoid 99% of gaming problems.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The only thing that bugs me about bitc..uh..witcher, is the horrendous voice acting. Ug.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Oyeve
The only thing that bugs me about bitc..uh..witcher, is the horrendous voice acting. Ug.

Can't really blame CDProjekt for that one though, iirc Voice acting was one of the areas Atari forced a rush on. If you turn on subtitles you can see the voice and script don't match up all the time and deviate more near the end. Pretty typical when meeting a budget or release crunch for Voice Acting to get the first cuts. Also, I'm pretty sure Witcher was localized from Polish (or German?) to English, so we're basically seeing the treatment most other languages get in that regard. I'm glad the game appears to be a commercial and critical success, as it all but ensures an add-on or sequel that may have more of the polish we'd expect from a AAA title.

On the note of voice acting, I got a big kick out of seeing Alec Baldwin in WiC's credits, and he wasn't calling anyone a spoiled little pig either. :D

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Trying to find out if I can play it... I heard a ton of good things.

You meet the minimum requirements. At minimum settings and a low res you should be alright. Who's to say, though.