Thinking about picking up the Samsung Q80T 75"

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I have LG CX 77 envy, but I don't wish to spend that much on a new monitor. The Samsung meets most of my criteria for brightness, size, weight, and picture quality. It would be wall mounted in the living room, and the old 60" plasma put in the basement for a workout area monitor.

I'm sitting here at work hemming and hawing about it, I looked at my choices last weekend at best Buy. The LG is stunning, but when you start to look at other ones on their own merits it seems to also have a great visual experience, especially for our room about 9 feet away.

So I guess while I think on it I'm just soliciting opinions about it or competitors. I'm also wondering if I should pick up a new 4k disk player, I don't have anywhere local that rents them, and I typically don't buy a lot of movies myself, especially for what they cost.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Drove to Best Buy after work, checked out the different models again. Found the box for the Samsung, and realized it wouldn't fit in my suv. I had to drive home, might be back with a friend's truck.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I picked up an 80T 75" last week and it's an outstanding TV. Bright, colorful, nice clear picture and dark blacks. I love it.

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
In a brightly lit room, the QLED will be just fine, however in a low to medium light room the OLED's contrast is going to make a big difference.

I have a 75 inch Q60 in the living room and a 55 inch OLED B6 in my bedroom, the OLED is on another level. Its just that the blacks are more of a dark grey with the QLED. Despite the fact the QLED can technically get brighter, the contrast between the brightest bright and darkest darks are just deeper on OLED, leading to a more satisfying experience for movie watching/game playing.

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I did not end up getting it, mainly because of spousal resistance. It did go back up in price shortly thereafter also, when I looked at it I think it was $1999.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You are probably better off anyway. Last year's models from Samsung are really not better than the previous years models (and visually they are actually worse since Samsung wanted to have something to make the 8k TV's better than the 4k lineup, so they nerfed the 4k lineup). The only real benefit was HDMI 2.1, but it only had a single port that supported it.

I am not sure about the up and comming 2021 models as it seems like the technology they are going to use in the panels will be a one off (in other words, Samsung is not investing in the technology for any kind of long term plans, and as such, long term support for the TVs may very well suffer).

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
It is this (80t) for 2400+$ or x900h for 2000 or budget r635 for 1000, hard for me to decide. Won't really be playing games and rtings actually gives the x900h advantage in hdr movies and movie viewing which it will mostly do. Guess can keep waiting, wanted the ru9000 85" but all sold out. Well I looked at Sam's club and they want me to join to see a price on ru9000 82". Also see vizo p series quantum x 75 for 1500 and 85 for 2500 :/ lulz hmmm

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I so wanted the Vizio Quantum X to be good, unfortunately it suffers from way too many serious problems. From audio/video synchronization issues with movies (24 frame rate content is the worst with upwards of 1/2 a second difference between the audio and video signals, both on the internal TV and when using eARC to pass the signal to a receiver), to horrible VRR problems (high speed camera tests have show that there is no difference in number of frames per second that the TV is outputting when switching from 60hz to 120hz with content and devices that has 120hz + refresh rates verified from gaming monitors), to uniformity and backlight bleeding issues. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good panels out there with the Quantum X, but there are also plenty of ones with major visual quality issues that they are not catching in their essentially non-existent quality control processes and are simply selling on the market. You are in for a game of panel lottery hoping that you get a good one, and the least, hoping you bought through a vendor that has no-questions-asked return/replace policy to send back the crappy ones until you get one that is actually good.

Reactions: killster1

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It is this (80t) for 2400+$ or x900h for 2000 or budget r635 for 1000, hard for me to decide. Won't really be playing games and rtings actually gives the x900h advantage in hdr movies and movie viewing which it will mostly do. Guess can keep waiting, wanted the ru9000 85" but all sold out. Well I looked at Sam's club and they want me to join to see a price on ru9000 82". Also see vizo p series quantum x 75 for 1500 and 85 for 2500 :/ lulz hmmm
I got the r635 in the beginning of January. I love it. There is some DSE but it's not noticeable in regular usage. HDR content is amazing and really shines. Watching The Expanse you really see how inky the blacks get.

There is a really long thread on it at AVS forums, as with most tv lines there. I love the Roku interface, you can also do a casual calibration of the tv with an app if you have an iPhone or Google pixel. It's a VA panel but I don't have any extreme viewing angles so it's fine. It can get quite bright.

I mean of course I'd have gotten the LG OLED if I had the funds, but this is a nice compromise.

I have zero interest in playing games on it so that was not a factor in my hours of research at all. This is all about watching content and excelling at HDR. Oh, upscaled content looks real good as well, I watched Parts Unknown and was very happy with the content.

I got my set from Newegg, got here in one day, and my panel was built in September in China.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I got the r635 in the beginning of January. I love it. There is some DSE but it's not noticeable in regular usage. HDR content is amazing and really shines. Watching The Expanse you really see how inky the blacks get.

There is a really long thread on it at AVS forums, as with most tv lines there. I love the Roku interface, you can also do a casual calibration of the tv with an app if you have an iPhone or Google pixel. It's a VA panel but I don't have any extreme viewing angles so it's fine. It can get quite bright.

I mean of course I'd have gotten the LG OLED if I had the funds, but this is a nice compromise.

I have zero interest in playing games on it so that was not a factor in my hours of research at all. This is all about watching content and excelling at HDR. Oh, upscaled content looks real good as well, I watched Parts Unknown and was very happy with the content.

I got my set from Newegg, got here in one day, and my panel was built in September in China.
The only thing it doesn't have is hdmi 2.1. I checked out a few 80t 75" for 1899? A x950h 85" for 2200 sigh the 75" TCL r635 is 1400+$ no easy choices but thanks for the reply very close to just getting the tcl

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The only thing it doesn't have is hdmi 2.1. I checked out a few 80t 75" for 1899? A x950h 85" for 2200 sigh the 75" TCL r635 is 1400+$ no easy choices but thanks for the reply very close to just getting the tcl
I would have gotten the 75" tcl but was already at the top of my budget. I'm watching the remastered 4K LOTR right now and this is a pleasure to watch on this set.

You do see some blooming sometimes, in general, not in LOTR, but it's not bad. I think it's content dependant. I mean the Expanse has so many dark scenes with bright contrasty elements against that black background and it's amazing. No blooming.

Obviously the oled can't be beat.

I read about the newest hdmi interface but couldn't figure out why it would benefit me with my 3.1 speaker system and no interest in gaming. There is the dynamic hdr thing but DV and hdr10+ do that and by the time content comes out to support the dynamic HDR over 2.1 I'll probably be getting a larger TV. I guess it depends how long you plan to keep the set.