Thinking about outsourcing my job duties?

Would you outsource your job duty?

• Total voters

Six

Feb 29, 2000
So I work for a large corporation, and I am thinking about outsourcing my some of work duties to the Philippines for $3-7 per hour. What do you guys think? There are no sensitive, identifying data involved.

I can have a person
...comb through data for what I need.
...create excel scripts to automate.
...find products to my specs
...order Ubereats

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Ya know, the Ubereats ordering part might come in handy.

The first two would probably get me sued at my job because of various regulatory compliance regulations.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Ya know, the Ubereats ordering part might come in handy.

The first two would probably get me sued at my job because of various regulatory compliance regulations.

Thought you were being sarcastic about the Ubereats part, since the thought of giving a stranger my credit card info crossed my mind as I read your statement. But then, I could give them a prepaid card.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Be careful with that, if the company sees that it works, they'll just lay you off and then outsource it themselves. Why have you as the middleman.

Six

Feb 29, 2000

That's hilarious. Reminds me of my home security system, typical made in china rebranded Dahua stuff: I set up the system to email me when any of the sensors is tripped. Good thing I used a junk gmail account for this. When I last checked that gmail account, it said Google has blocked X number of attempts to log onto my junk email. I know the gmail password is not crackable, and it's soul purpose is for sending email alerts. And I know I only entered the password on the DVR system and phone app. So hmmm?

Be careful with that, if the company sees that it works, they'll just lay you off and then outsource it themselves. Why have you as the middleman.

Because I'm fast and beat to the same drummer in time critical situations. But they will probably outsource my work due to cost. Cutting cost is more important than providing the best service. It's only a matter of time.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Do you guys ever come across offshore employees who actually do well? I have worked with overseas people for almost a decade and they are almost always less competent. So much hand-holding or turnover and re-training, etc.

Personally, I like what I do. I like the normalcy and purpose. When I went to Maui for my honeymoon, I was itching to get back toward the end of the 2 weeks.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
My management typically wants immediate turnaround for some projects. I would hate to have to wait for the other side of the world to wake up and read my request.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Do you guys ever come across offshore employees who actually do well? I have worked with overseas people for almost a decade and they are almost always less competent. So much hand-holding or turnover and re-training, etc.

Personally, I like what I do. I like the normalcy and purpose. When I went to Maui for my honeymoon, I was itching to get back toward the end of the 2 weeks.

yeah, i worked with an offshore company and they had some pretty good devs. they worked for a contracting company in india, but some of them had stayed on our team for over 15 years.

in order to make it all work we had to have dedicated people from india employed by our company in our building who could coordinate everything between both sides.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
So I work for a large corporation, and I am thinking about outsourcing my some of work duties to the Philippines for $3-7 per hour. What do you guys think? There are no sensitive, identifying data involved.

I can have a person
...comb through data for what I need.
...create excel scripts to automate.
...find products to my specs
...order Ubereats

I don't think you're gong to need all that. They have machines that can automate the cooking of the fries.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
I've worked with plenty of smart, extremely hardworking folks in India and the Philippines.

You gotta write like you are writing to a 6th grader. Get rid of apostrophes. Get rid of the idioms. Get rid of double meanings. Understand their customs, because sometimes their customs are "holding" them back. (Like last night for me was Grave Sweeping Day in the Far East. My Chinese suppliers were very slow to respond.) After all that, the offshore folks are just as smart. I know, a lotta work, but well worth it for the cost/time savings. Some are highly intelligent, but their country's lack of opportunities is holding them back.

I think, here in America, we grew up with "established context" and an understanding of those context helps us the majority of us look smarter. And when an non-American doesn't understand what we are asking, it's because they lack context. With that said, I've seen that the "smartest" offshore people are the ones who grew up watching American cartoons and sitcoms in their homeland. I soetimes questioned them when they said they have never been to America.

Anyhow, I cannot do outsource ubereats, because of the timezone difference and their unstable network infrastructure.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I've worked with plenty of smart, extremely hardworking folks in India and the Philippines.

You gotta write like you are writing to a 6th grader. Get rid of apostrophes. Get rid of the idioms. Get rid of double meanings. Understand their customs, because sometimes their customs are "holding" them back. (Like last night for me was Grave Sweeping Day in the Far East. My Chinese suppliers were very slow to respond.) After all that, the offshore folks are just as smart. I know, a lotta work, but well worth it for the cost/time savings. Some are highly intelligent, but their country's lack of opportunities is holding them back.

agreed, i think it's appropriate to write in simple english with almost everyone who speaks it as a second language unless they're really good at it, or if they're trying to learn it really well.

i don't mind doing it at all, and it helps a lot.

english is a weird language anyway, so i try to avoid the ambiguity.