Thinking about going HTPC, but I need help!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I am a huge fan of my OTA HDHR. I have never messed with cablecard tuning (the flag stuff offends me so greatly I would honestly not play by the rules), but for OTA channel tuning nothing beats the flexibility and usefulness of a HDHR. Just be sure to treat it nice, I kept my first one in a bad spot (on the floor under an entertainment center) and it crappy out on me.

It is too bad that only WMC really plays with cablecard properly, or that more stuff isn't OTA.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I am a huge fan of my OTA HDHR. I have never messed with cablecard tuning (the flag stuff offends me so greatly I would honestly not play by the rules), but for OTA channel tuning nothing beats the flexibility and usefulness of a HDHR. Just be sure to treat it nice, I kept my first one in a bad spot (on the floor under an entertainment center) and it crappy out on me.

It is too bad that only WMC really plays with cablecard properly, or that more stuff isn't OTA.

No problem at all with that, and thank the Lord -- OTA isn't dead, but alive. OTA is the easiest way to get started. If your budget admits for it even with a plan to include cable in the mix, it should all "integrate" properly in a single PC (for starters).

After getting my HVR-2250 with OTA antenna and my HDHR' with subscription cable set up for my main PC, I never investigated further these other HDHR devices. Am I guessing correctly that at least one is a networked device . . . . lemme see . . . yeah -- the HDHR4-2US.

Like many, my family is indifferent to "televised-computing" or "computerized television." But I like the idea of sitting at my machine with a TV-screen in a small window at the corner of the display. Otherwise, I probably would've acquired one of those HDHR4 units, or played with one of the Silly-Dust extenders. Certainly, if they want it, the fam-damn-ily can get the subscription cable now with the six tuners in my two HDHR'-'s. But they all have individual STB's, so the interest-level is lower. . .

I can see how HDHR' and something like the HDHR4 could save us money. We're paying ~$7 or $8 each for the four STBs in the house. Of course, we'd abjure the On Demand feature, but frankly, I don't think anyone else in the house uses it. The stumbling block is the HDMI cabling between the additional PCs and the HDTVs -- some in other rooms. There are only so many Ethernet cable-drops in certain rooms.

Maybe someone here knows something about solutions to such things that I don't know.

Seems to me . . . if you have enough of these gadgets, you might replace your standard 4 or 5-port G-bit switch with an 8-port -- they're pretty cheap -- and pile all the devices up in some well-ventilated corner of a room somewhere.

When I added my second HDHR' I fretted over the clutter in my stereo cabinet because I'm always trying to manage the heat dissipation. I have a plan to add a fan to the cabinet with a small AC/DC power brick I bought for the purpose. With that, you could then stack the HDHR'-'s and the tuning adapters in a single shelf with space between the units to avoid any "cooking effect."

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So help me out here BonzaiDuck. I am reading about the HDHomeRun CONNECT and wondering why you (or I) would need more than one.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
True -- fundamental principle of Economics is the MIB principle: More Is Better. Like Johnny Ringo the mobster (Edward G. Robinson) says in "Key Largo" when Bogie says "I know about Johnny Ringo: He always wants more:" "Yeah! I always want more!"

Lemme think. I got my HVR-2250 in 2011 when I was building the sig. I think I got the HDHR' the same year -- the first one. I could say "that should be enough." But I have "expansion plans" and "plans to develop expansion plans." So I got a second one. So with the HVR-2250 dedicated to OTA . . . AND! . . . to a $50 capture device for digitizing old VCR tapes, and the six tuners of the 2x HDHR'-'s, I actually have 4 + 2x3 = 10 tuners.

Cable outage? Watch OTA. PC maintenance down-time? Use one or both tuners with another PC. For HDHR' #2, I just figured I might as well go for it. The monthly cost is only another $2.

And as I said much earlier: If I hadn't done the troubleshooting with HDHR'#2, I wouldn't have quickly discovered the imperfect activation of #1. I'd been running #1 for maybe four years, but the "cablecard validation" item in the HDHR setup screens still showed "None." Once it shows "success," you should never have any need to power-cycle either the adapter or the HDHR', and you shouldn't need to be calling the cable provider to do any of those resets.

I'm too damn old . . to be ashamed . . . of being so Stooo-pid!

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
When I added my second HDHR' I fretted over the clutter in my stereo cabinet because I'm always trying to manage the heat dissipation. I have a plan to add a fan to the cabinet with a small AC/DC power brick I bought for the purpose. With that, you could then stack the HDHR'-'s and the tuning adapters in a single shelf with space between the units to avoid any "cooking effect."

Yeah these things get warm. That was one big reason I got external tuners, so I could keep the added heat out of the PC's case so fans could run slow and quiet.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah these things get warm. That was one big reason I got external tuners, so I could keep the added heat out of the PC's case so fans could run slow and quiet.

Well, it's innerestin'. If one HDHR' isn't being accessed -- none of the three tuner lights glowing -- it hardly warms up at all. Conversely, when in use it gets warm -- but not warm enough to serve up the troubles people had with a similar Ceton device for that reason.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have a case fan that sits on top of my Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6. Even with your ear right up next to it, the fan is silent, but it still drops the temperatures by at least 20C. I really wish that Ceton would release some sort of official case that has a pass-through for the power plug to let me leech off the AC adapter to power said case fan and properly mount it.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I have two Sillydust HD Primes and two HD extends and Trendnet 5 port switch sitting on a wire rack and that thing get hot enough to grill sausages.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have two Sillydust HD Primes and two HD extends and Trendnet 5 port switch sitting on a wire rack and that thing get hot enough to grill sausages.

I built my "knock-down" "stereo" cabinet (call it "HT cabinet" now) in 1975. It was an accomplishment of joinery. It knocks down into five main parts with six shelves that slide into dado slots as desired. I never did put a "backing" on the case, although I ventilated the top and several shelves with carefully spaced 1"-dia holes. Because there's no back panel, it's well ventilated, but it needs regular dusting. The front is fitted with louvred doors -- "shutters." I can open them or close them. I obviously need one or more doors with the shutters open, so the IR remote signals can get through to the STB, AVR, etc.

So . . . things can get warm, but not all that much. I'm thinking I could cut removable "backing plates" for certain choices of the space between shelves -- you guessed it -- from black foam-art-board. Then, I'd need to install that fan or fans.

I gotta think about it. If I stick a fan in the cabinet, I need to choose where to put it, how to secure it, etc. Powering it is easy, but it would be nice to reduce the RPM on demand even if there's no noticeable noise problem. With a little wiring mod to the AC/DC adapter I bought for the fan(s), I can add more than one fan.

I think it was Aikouka who had informed me about the Ceton device some time ago. It probably does need a fan.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have a case fan that sits on top of my Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6. Even with your ear right up next to it, the fan is silent, but it still drops the temperatures by at least 20C. I really wish that Ceton would release some sort of official case that has a pass-through for the power plug to let me leech off the AC adapter to power said case fan and properly mount it.

Also, on this angle, I suppose the problem is whether the voltage of the adapter is 12V and it is ample for extra amperage draw. Otherwise, you can get a 12V adapter providing adequate amperage at your local electronics store or "jobber's warehouse."

If you could solder in a Molex plug, you might be able to connect one of those rheostat fan adapters, run extra fans and trim the fan speeds for the noise.