Thinking about buying a Malibu UPDATE: BOUGHT a 2007 Malibu 2LT

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
About 6 months ago I bought my first car, a 2001 Mustang V6 Coupe (auto). I intended to keep it for about a year or so, then get something a little cheaper on gas and more reliable (newer).

I started looking at the Chevy HHR and seriously considering buying one. There are a few used 2006's around for about $14,000 with less than 30K miles, seems like a decent price considering they're less than a year old and new cost $19K+. Reviews seem very positive, they are build well and handle well.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience driving or owning one.

Only problem is trade-in value on my Mustang is $6600, I owe $7500. Private-party value is $7700 so I may have to sell it on my own to break even.

I'm a 22 yr old guy.

In case you didn't know, the HHR is a crossover type vehicle: http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/

--------------------------------------------

EDIT:

After test driving a HHR overnight I'm not so sure I'm ready to give up the traditional car for a wagon or SUV. I might get a Malibu instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I bought a 2007 Malibu 2LT w/a few extras like power sunroof and a rear wing and a remote starter. I know, they're redesigning the car later this year, but I really like the car and it was well worth what I paid. They gave me the $7500 that I owed on my trade-in even though it was only worth about $6000, and I got $1500 in rebates on the new car. The power on the 3.5L V6 (217HP) is really unbelievable to me.

Insurance is $85/month with a $100 deductible rather than $150/month on my Mustang, so overall costs of owning the car didn't change more than about $5/month. You might even say this new car is cheaper to own than the Mustang since I have a bumper-to-bumper warranty until I pay off the loan.

Now I need to get the windows tinted, they are painfully clear right now. Any suggestions on that? I don't have a clue about how to do it myself, and I'd like it professionally done.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
The HHR uses the ecotec motor. A very good and proven engine.

I don;t have a HHR but I have not heard any real complaints or problems. Best thing to do is drive a couple and see what they feal like.

And of course you will always get the best bang for your buck by selling your own car. Of course you do better to buy a used HHR from private seller as well.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
Can't seem to find any HHRs being sold privately. It might have something to do with them being only a year old.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
I drove an HRR a year ago as a rental. It had all of the styling of a clown mobile imho.
I think the 'wagon' functionality that his masked a bit by the crossover styling is a positive. I drive a wagon and some think that my car has a rear end that looks like a weak chin. To each his own I guess.

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
get a subaru outback. they've been on the road long enough to work the kinks out, they have lots of space, 4wd, moderately priced, and they don't look like something your grandma buys to be "cool"

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: d3n
I drove an HRR a year ago as a rental. It had all of the styling of a clown mobile imho.
I think the 'wagon' functionality that his masked a bit by the crossover styling is a positive. I drive a wagon and some think that my car has a rear end that looks like a weak chin. To each his own I guess.

I got suck with one this summer as a rental (even made a thread about it here)...embarrassing as hell to drive.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
My 83 year old grandfather wants one. Hopefully that tells you something about them...

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I really like the HRR. It's a neat little sedan. Chevy actually considers it an SUV.

You sit quit nice in it as well, very upright. Not laying down like in many small cars.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
Originally posted by: slurmsmackenzie
get a subaru outback. they've been on the road long enough to work the kinks out, they have lots of space, 4wd, moderately priced, and they don't look like something your grandma buys to be "cool"

They're just a bit out of my price range... $20K+ for a 2005 or newer. I do like Subarus, but just can't afford one. $15K is my limit.

I know old people like it, but they also like the PT Cruiser and I don't. I'm not going to not buy it just because old people think it's cool. I like it.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Definately go for it. Now that GM has extended the warranty on CPO vehicles, I don't see what the problem is.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I like the car. Not everyone likes the "Look at how boring I am" styling that comes with Japanese cars.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
So you want a bunch of naked guys washing your car and writhing all over it at red lights????

You know, I was pricing out a new one when I saw that ad during the SB and almost just shut my laptop off and went to bed.

I'm afraid when I go to drive one, the salesman is going to think I'm there because of that ad...

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CraigRT
I'd rather have a Dodge Caliber than the HHR myself.. Chevy FTL in this dept. :p

hahahaahahah, the Caliber is hideously ugly, you could have at least mentioned the PT Cruiser.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I didn't like it at first, but there's one in my parking lot at the office that I walk past each day and its grown on me. Seems a good compromise of hauling space and mileage (although it looks like the manual gets significantly better city mileage.)

As far as looks go, it's definitely got personality unlike most cars which just kind of blend into the crowd. A lot of people may not like it, but so long as you like it, that's what counts.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I liked driving the HHR except for
-Location of power window controls
-claustrophobic interior, but this should be OK for someone coming from a 'Stang :)

Very cool car.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Ktulu
Originally posted by: CraigRT
I'd rather have a Dodge Caliber than the HHR myself.. Chevy FTL in this dept. :p

hahahaahahah, the Caliber is hideously ugly, you could have at least mentioned the PT Cruiser.

JayMassive

Aug 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
-claustrophobic interior, but this should be OK for someone coming from a 'Stang :)

Very cool car.

Location of power window controls? My arms are my power window controls, and they're in pretty locations.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: JayMassive
Originally posted by: Mermaidman

Very cool car.

Location of power window controls? My arms are my power window controls, and they're in pretty locations.
? In the HHR I drove, the controls were located right in front of the gear shift--very inconvenient IMO.