Think this rapist got roughed up a little?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Meh, I cannot condone vigilante justice or police brutality even if the dude is guilty. He deserves a trial and fair punishment just like everybody else in this country. People who brutally beat a man beyond what is required to subdue him, or even worse cops who assault a man in prison deserve to be tried for assault just like anyone else. Justice is supposed to be blind, and assaulting a rapist after he is subdued is just as bad as assaulting an innocent person. Just my 2 cents, don't get me wrong I'm not sitting here feeling sorry for the dude, but brutally beating a guy is who can't fight back is never right. In this case there is some reason since they had to subdue him. Alot of times like was previously mentioned this sort of brutality is committed by cops AFTER the man is already in a prison cell and where that is the case the cops should be sent to jail themselves.

no one mentioned any cops beating suspected/convicted rapists. it's a well know fact that rapists are the lowest form of scum in the prisoner pecking order.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Meh, I cannot condone vigilante justice or police brutality even if the dude is guilty. He deserves a trial and fair punishment just like everybody else in this country. People who brutally beat a man beyond what is required to subdue him, or even worse cops who assault a man in prison deserve to be tried for assault just like anyone else. Justice is supposed to be blind, and assaulting a rapist after he is subdued is just as bad as assaulting an innocent person. Just my 2 cents, don't get me wrong I'm not sitting here feeling sorry for the dude, but brutally beating a guy is who can't fight back is never right. In this case there is some reason since they had to subdue him. Alot of times like was previously mentioned this sort of brutality is committed by cops AFTER the man is already in a prison cell and where that is the case the cops should be sent to jail themselves.

45 min, just about right.
What's wrong with it? It's well reasoned, and detailed enough. Each sentence had specific meaning though, if you skipped over any, you probably missed the point. It also does not explicitly say that he thinks this beating was done by the police.

We don't know what happened here, either. It's possible that this guy didn't give up until he wound up looking like he does now. Like Mr. Don't Tase Me, Bro - he was warned repeatedly, and did not heed the warnings.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CadetLee

Who said it was the cops that did it? Inmates don't look too well upon rapists.

I know a few cases where prison officials like to take cheap shots during prisoner transport. I like street cops, but I'd say prisons and jail are some of the most corrupt institutions.

But yeah, rapists and pedophiles, if put into gen-pop, are pretty much turned into black & blue ***-dumpsters.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
http://www.kptv.com/news/14441750/detail.html

Looks like the good samaritans did not just hold him until the police arrived.:thumbsup:

good for them. personally surprised they stopped where they did. takes a strong head on ones shoulders to not get into mob mentality, where that guy would have been lucky to walk or live after that. sometimes it seems to escalate to that. good to see that they beat him, but only enough to keep him in control and in their custody until police arrived.

hoorah for Good Samaritans! :thumbsup::)
It's a fine line. People generally do not stop and help, but 5 guys against one would be confident. It would be hard to see such a group restrain themselves from beating on somebody badly. I don't like mob justice, but this could have ended worse.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000

For anyone like myself who skipped the comments on the first look at the article, here's one that calls the facts into question, although you'd hope if this account is valid it would have been figured out by now. Dennil I'm putting you in charge of keeping track of this case for the next year and letting us know how this case plays out.

"This story is a bit fishy if you ask me. I was told by witnesses that the girl in question had been in a fight with her boyfriend and Mr. Landingham offered to walk her home out of courtesy. I wonder if it wasnt the boyfriend and a group of his friends who werent the bystanders. Maybe Mr. Landingham just got mixed up in the wrong domestic situation and the girl would rather lie about the assault that took place on Mr. Landingham than offer up an eye witness account of the assault on Mr. Landingham that would put her beloved boyfriend behind bars."

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I'm sure a couple of them "help him down" while the others pounded him. I would have joined in the pummeling. People that commit or try to commit rape forfeit their right to be treated like a human being.

Apr 17, 2005
if he does turn out to be a good guy and was trying to help and got beat up, i hope all you guys asking for his head will feel like shit.

Oscar1613

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Turin39789

For anyone like myself who skipped the comments on the first look at the article, here's one that calls the facts into question, although you'd hope if this account is valid it would have been figured out by now. Dennil I'm putting you in charge of keeping track of this case for the next year and letting us know how this case plays out.

"This story is a bit fishy if you ask me. I was told by witnesses that the girl in question had been in a fight with her boyfriend and Mr. Landingham offered to walk her home out of courtesy. I wonder if it wasnt the boyfriend and a group of his friends who werent the bystanders. Maybe Mr. Landingham just got mixed up in the wrong domestic situation and the girl would rather lie about the assault that took place on Mr. Landingham than offer up an eye witness account of the assault on Mr. Landingham that would put her beloved boyfriend behind bars."

thats bullshit... you really think the girl would still have him arrested and charged with rape?

DeliciousTacos

Jul 9, 2007
What those good citizens did looks like what I would have done, it's just something about rapists and child molesters that gets me all fired up. :)

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2

I know a few cases where prison officials like to take cheap shots during prisoner transport. I like street cops, but I'd say prisons and jail are some of the most corrupt institutions.

But yeah, rapists and pedophiles, if put into gen-pop, are pretty much turned into black & blue ***-dumpsters.

I don't know about that; pedophiles yes, but rapists? I haven't heard/seen that in my experiences, although that certainly doesn't mean it isn't the case.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Oscar1613

thats bullshit... you really think the girl would still have him arrested and charged with rape?

Stranger things have happened. That said, I'm on her side and don't go with the concoted story theory. But we do have trials for a reason.

More posts from locals here, someone seemed to claim they were on scene or at least saw the woman in the aftermath. Prepare yourself for the highest quality posts on the internet before you go.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Yes. I knew someone who was a violent alcoholic, and would threaten to kill his wife. He'd even stalk the house with a gun sometimes. She'd call the police on occasion, but she would never press charges. People will stay in abusive relationships, and even stand up for their abusers, not against them.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Whisper
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2

I don't know about that; pedophiles yes, but rapists? I haven't heard/seen that in my experiences, although that certainly doesn't mean it isn't the case.

Well, I suppose it could depend on where. My brother-in-law is in prison (for neither of the aforementioned offenses) and when we visit him he has all kinds of stories.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

Stranger things have happened. That said, I'm on her side and don't go with the concoted story theory. But we do have trials for a reason.

More posts from locals here, someone seemed to claim they were on scene or at least saw the woman in the aftermath. Prepare yourself for the highest quality posts on the internet before you go.
Some of the crud that the locals post here is crazy. I realize it's a 200k person area, but must we have so many loons with internet access.:p

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ViRGE

Some of the crud that the locals post here is crazy. I realize it's a 200k person area, but must we have so many loons with internet access.:p

"Watch yourself idiotstick, be respectful to my little sister!"