Think there will be a supreme commander 3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Hi guys,

Nice to see some Supcom love on these forums, I felt the game never quite got the attention it deserved.

Unfortunately Supcom 2 was a massive disappointment, but I can only blame a bad case of consolitis and Square Enix having far too much influence. I have to agree that this game essentially killed the franchise - the loyal fanbase felt betrayed and it never received enough attention from the C&C and SC crowd.

It's a real shame because the vision for Supcom was so much more than what was released. Years ago there was a feature written on an alpha build of the game that had tidal wave weaponry, which would cause a huge wave to knock over ships and damage units on land if they were close enough. The game was also supposed to be a native DX10 game, taking advantages of what it had to offer, but they had to cut back because they didn't have the budget for it.

As a long time player I have linked to some mods below that you might like. Please note that these are for Forged Alliance only.

Blackops Unleashed unit pack
This adds in some news units, including experimentals.

Blackops commander pack
This mod greatly increases the flexibility of commanders with new upgrades for intel, defense, offense and building capabilities. Doesn't make them indestructible, but prevents them from being an easy target in the late game.

Blackops special weapons pack
This mods adds a few more balanced units, including a T3 naval frigate. It also balances the navy overall, making it less vulnerable to air attacks and makes ships more effective for their cost.

Sorian's AI mod
And finally, perhaps the best of them all, is Sorian's AI mod. He did such a good job with this AI that he is now employed by GPG.

forged alliance is still great, especially now that you can build a computer that will run the damn game without slowing to a crawl 20 minutes in.

Apparently this is due to a bug that is present on some of the most popular maps, such as Setons. On other maps the game won't slow down at all, I'll see if I can find the thread on GPGnet forums that goes through it. Found it - here.

I'm really hoping for a new Total Annihilation game. If Chris Taylor can persuade a publisher that using the name and making a faithful sequel will sell, then it could be on the cards.

Cheers,
Bob.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Nice post bob thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Ive already got sorians AI installed and also FAF... i think... still says 3599 in the corner when i start the game though. Unfortunately the game will crash when it hits ~2.2gb of memory usage, i dont know if its that or the amount of units that does it but it causes a grey screen when i ctrl alt del out of the game.

I really wish they had the budget to do DX10 and all the other stuff they had planned, i read that DX10 would have made it possible to allow multi threading on parts of the game that is not possible with DX9. As it stands supcom 1 is just like sins of a solar empire for me, massive potential for huge battles but limited by the way its coded. Sorians AI helped alleviate the crashing and slowdown for some time but it will still crash eventually.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Man looking at those mods is really tempting me to load up SC again...

Damn you Bob, damn you. :)

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Nice post bob thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Ive already got sorians AI installed and also FAF... i think... still says 3599 in the corner when i start the game though. Unfortunately the game will crash when it hits ~2.2gb of memory usage, i dont know if its that or the amount of units that does it but it causes a grey screen when i ctrl alt del out of the game.

I really wish they had the budget to do DX10 and all the other stuff they had planned, i read that DX10 would have made it possible to allow multi threading on parts of the game that is not possible with DX9. As it stands supcom 1 is just like sins of a solar empire for me, massive potential for huge battles but limited by the way its coded. Sorians AI helped alleviate the crashing and slowdown for some time but it will still crash eventually.

Mine will do that if I set the unit count to over 1,000, but otherwise it's rock solid.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Hey guys I was just thinking, it would be great if we could all get a few games going. I'm based in the UK so I'm aware the ping not be the best but if we're all running quad cores it shouldn't matter.

Anyone up for it?

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
If you read all the forums and reviews and get a general idea of what fans were talking about, you could easily reach the conclusion that even though it was a good game many people were expecting a lot more from the gameplay, not just a 3D version of Total Annihilation. Not everyone was impressed with it.
I thought the first one was great, way more fun than Starcraft or many of the other popular titles at that time. But it wasnt well received across the whole fan base.

Supcom and FA were amazingly underrated RTS games. I've played sc2 (starcraft 2) a lot over the past year and a half but I still think supcom was the better game, just didnt have the community it deserved.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Oh wow. Time to re-install SupCom:FA and discover these mods. I personally prefer (and have spent far more time on) this game to SC2. Was looking forward to SupCom2 but it truly was a disappointment.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Nice to see some Supcom love on these forums, I felt the game never quite got the attention it deserved.

Unfortunately Supcom 2 was a massive disappointment, but I can only blame a bad case of consolitis and Square Enix having far too much influence. I have to agree that this game essentially killed the franchise - the loyal fanbase felt betrayed and it never received enough attention from the C&C and SC crowd.

It's a real shame because the vision for Supcom was so much more than what was released. Years ago there was a feature written on an alpha build of the game that had tidal wave weaponry, which would cause a huge wave to knock over ships and damage units on land if they were close enough. The game was also supposed to be a native DX10 game, taking advantages of what it had to offer, but they had to cut back because they didn't have the budget for it.

As a long time player I have linked to some mods below that you might like. Please note that these are for Forged Alliance only.

Blackops Unleashed unit pack
This adds in some news units, including experimentals.

Blackops commander pack
This mod greatly increases the flexibility of commanders with new upgrades for intel, defense, offense and building capabilities. Doesn't make them indestructible, but prevents them from being an easy target in the late game.

Blackops special weapons pack
This mods adds a few more balanced units, including a T3 naval frigate. It also balances the navy overall, making it less vulnerable to air attacks and makes ships more effective for their cost.

Sorian's AI mod
And finally, perhaps the best of them all, is Sorian's AI mod. He did such a good job with this AI that he is now employed by GPG.