Think our Cel2-566's are dead... HELP!!

Gilgamesh

Sep 4, 2000
A friend of mine and I both purchased new OEM Cel2-566 cpus, FC-PGA Gorbs and MSI Slockets from the Chip Merchant. I'm using an AOpen
AX6BC Pro Gold motherboard with the latest BIOS and Matt's using an Abit BX6r2. Here are our problems:

I can't get anything. No beeps, no nothing. I'm not even overclocking at the moment, no matter what I try, I can't get my CPU to run even at
566@1.5v I turn on the system and there are no beeps, the screen is black. The drives power up and everything else appears to be functional... is
my CPU from the Chip Merchant Dead on Arrival?

Matt's will do the same thing, only his system beeps... one long beep followed by three short ones.

Are we both screwed? I hope the Chip Merchant handles returns well...

Any ideas before we send these thing back? Help some poor overclockers save a 15% restocking fee! :)

Thanks!!

-Gilgamesh-

Coolie

Aug 17, 2000
I bought a celeron 566 from a computer show and had the same problem, my hard drive wouldn't even spin up. On the underside of the cpu there was a brownish area right in the middle - looked to be from heat. Anyway, the processor was doa, and I took it back to the show the following day and got a refund. Since then I bought a celeron 566 on this forum and it works great.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I know this may sound silly, but make sure everything in your system is firmly and properly seated in their respective slots/sockets/etc. Remove and replace them in their sockets/slots if needed. If it still doesn't work, take out everything except the CPU, video card, memory and HDD.

A bootup error without beeps usually means no CPU is detected. Mine does that when my Slotket isn't properly seated, EVEN when it looks like it it. Play around with the angle of the Slotkets with respect to the motherboard. The GORBs are quite heavy and tend to make the Slotket sag about. Make sure you're using those retention clip thingies that come with your slotket.

Gilgamesh

Sep 4, 2000
I checked both cpus... no brown spot, or any other physical indication of damage.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Advice? I'd hate to have to return both chips... this stinks!

Thanks in advance...

-Gilgamesh-

Gilgamesh

Sep 4, 2000
Okay, we got Matt's system working, his video card wasn't seated properly. (duh).

We tested both chips and they POSTed and loaded Windows at 850Mhz@1.8v!! Yeah!

Here's the bad news... for some reason, neither chip wants to work in my board, the AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold... I flashed the latest bios a week ago, I was ready to run at 850... but the board doesn't even acknowledge that the chip exists. Nothing, zip, nada.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Help from someone running a Celeron 2 in an AOpen AX6BC would be great, but at this point I'm open to anything short of soldering...

Thanks!!

-Gilgamesh-

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Gilgamesh, as I said, high chance it was a loose connection in one of your cards :)
However, weird that your mobo didn't beep, since it usually does when the video card is the problem, at least the mobos I've worked with.

Again, check the seating of the slotket especially. If it still doesn't work, then I have no idea. Even if the BIOS of the AX6BC Pro Gold doesn't recognize the new processor it should at least boot up with an error message if everything else is in order.

IBhacknU the C566 is the best deal right now if you have a Slot1 or S370 motherboard that supports it, since the C533As are just about extinct and the C600s and above don't overclock as well. Still, getting to 850MHz is by no way gauranteed, and its highly likely even if you get there you'll need more than default core voltage and cooling.

Gilgamesh

Sep 4, 2000
I just checked again, but I haven't found any loose connections. I don't think there would be since the system I'm typing this on right now is the system in question, I just slaped the old 300A back in.

This is too wierd... the damn chip worked in an Abit board, and the AOpen is allegedly more stable and a better BX board than the BX6r2... what gives?

Any other ideas? Anyone? :(

-Gilgamesh-

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Is your slocket known to be good? I had a bad msi slocket that caused that same problem.

freeway

Sep 11, 2000
I could be way off base here, but I have an AX6BC. Just the other day I was testing an old PII 300 and I had the same problem you are having. I turned on the system and everything was black. Since I had the system set for my 300a@450 - 100mhz bus and the old pII could not take the 100mhz fsb, it would not even post - no error or anything. I hit the reset button on my case and held in the "home" key. That cleared my CMOS settings and the system booted up right away. You can also pop the battery and to do the same thing. Worth a shot - let me know if you do get it working. I have a 566 ordered and will be here anyday now.

Gilgamesh

Sep 4, 2000
Nah, I've tried the home key trick and that didn't work. Thanks anyway...

Damn... anyone wanna swap an Abit board for this AOpen? At least then I'd probably be able to run the damn celemine...

I don't understand it, the AOpen is supposed to be this great BX board, and I have the latest BIOS... should have stuck with Abit...

Anyone else have any ideas? :(

This is getting depressing...

-Gilgamesh-

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
wow never knew about that trick with the home key, is that for all boards or just soft menu boards? --hope you have good luck with that celeron.

rigor

Banned
Mar 21, 2000
abit softmenu boards, i though was the INSERT and power on.

in ANY case, abit and many other boards have cmos/password recovery jumpers,
close the jumper, let sit for like 10 minutes, unclose jumper, boot.

also. Some mobo's don't like to run celermines at some voltage settings on the slotket. Some mobo's don't LIKE the 66/100 override AT ALL, I had one mobo that when i put it at 66, booted, put it at 100, dead, removed the jumper completely, booted, at 850 :)

Play with the slotket jumpers, if you don't have a slotket with jumpers, you don't need to be overclocking the celermine anyways..
sam

Gilgamesh

Sep 4, 2000
So far as I know, the only board that has the jumperless BIOS reset (the "home key trick") is the AOpen AX6BC series. But I could be wrong.

The MSI Slocket has jumpers, and I've tried virtually every setting. The problem isn't that it won't overclock. The motherboard doesn't "see" the chip, there's no single "healthy" beep, no POST, no nothing, regardless of FSB, Vcore, etc. I've tried booting at default 566/66/1.5v and gotten nothing. I've tried everything, and I can't explain it.

Could someone verify if there's some undocumented incompatibility between an MSI-MS6905 FC-PGA Slocket and the AOpen AX6BC Pro Gold motherboard?

Doesn't anyone else on the planet use this motherboard? :)

This sucks! :(

-Gilgamesh-

lurqa2

Sep 13, 2000
Gilgamesh:

One beep and then three short ones used to indicate problems with your videocard.

regards
lurqa

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Might be a shot in the dark but try upping the voltage to 1.65 for your base voltage... (on the slocket)

PS dont ask why...