Think about this while filing your tax return...

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
I think its funny how historically when nations were taxed over 30-40% they would riot and overthrow the government. Well, if you look at our taxes it is around 50% for a lot of people. Of course to get to this high of a percentage you have to look at the many different areas in which you are taxed- include state and federal income tax, property tax, sales tax, capital gains tax, etc... The worst I just found out about (on my states govt. website) is the "motor fuel tax" which takes 24.5 cents per gallon of gasoline. No wonder it is $1.69 a gallon - old sammy is taking a quarter for every gallon I fill up. Its crazy how people have just come to accept more taxes as a part of so many areas of life. The government is just smart enough to spread it out into so many different areas that many people dont realize how much they actually pay in taxes. (I was just going over my numbers while preparing to file my taxes) :)

I'm not an extremist at all. Taxes are definately necessary in a civilized world with a great government. (I lived in a 3rd world country for over 2 years, I know.) Taxes are what allow us to have such a great lifestyle and enjoy many parts of being an american. (just drive down a paved road if you want an example...) I do believe, however, that the current system allows for so much money to be collected that many programs are being funded that are not for the nation as a whole but more for selective groups or parties within. It is good to have these programs but they shouldnt be a mandatory obligation of each taxpayer.

I like President Bush for a lot of reasons but he doesnt seem to understand the concept of the national "budget" at all, which means eventually taxes will have to go up to pay for these great plans he keeps coming up with. His strategy seems to be cutting taxes and increasing spending... hrmm last time I looked at my financial situation less income and more expense was a bad thing.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Drizzy
I think its funny how historically when nations were taxed over 30-40% they would riot and overthrow the government. Well, if you look at our taxes it is around 50% for a lot of people. Of course to get to this high of a percentage you have to look at the many different areas in which you are taxed- include state and federal income tax, property tax, sales tax, capital gains tax, etc... The worst I just found out about (on my states govt. website) is the "motor fuel tax" which takes 24.5 cents per gallon of gasoline. No wonder it is $1.69 a gallon - old sammy is taking a quarter for every gallon I fill up. Its crazy how people have just come to accept more taxes as a part of so many areas of life. The government is just smart enough to spread it out into so many different areas that many people dont realize how much they actually pay in taxes. (I was just going over my numbers while preparing to file my taxes) :)

I'm not an extremist at all. Taxes are definately necessary in a civilized world with a great government. (I lived in a 3rd world country for over 2 years, I know.) Taxes are what allow us to have such a great lifestyle and enjoy many parts of being an american. (just drive down a paved road if you want an example...) I do believe, however, that the current system allows for so much money to be collected that many programs are being funded that are not for the nation as a whole but more for selective groups or parties within. It is good to have these programs but they shouldnt be a mandatory obligation of each taxpayer.

I like President Bush for a lot of reasons but he doesnt seem to understand the concept of the national "budget" at all, which means eventually taxes will have to go up to pay for these great plans he keeps coming up with. His strategy seems to be cutting taxes and increasing spending... hrmm last time I looked at my financial situation less income and more expense was a bad thing.

Worked for Enron... For a while :)
Bush and Kenny Boy, cut from same cloth.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Tax revenues aren't static.. you can lower them and take in considerably more money. The mistake people make when thinking about the economy is that it is static.. its not, it grows..

Its amazing that the same people who would criticize Bush for starving school children by not raising spending ENOUGH, now criticize him for spending too much. If he was cutting spending, people would be going nuts saying he was killing senior citizens.

When conservatives increase spending, its irresponsible.. when democrats do it, its compasionate.. when conservatives cut taxes, its giving to the rich, when democrats do it, its for the middle class and poor.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Crimson
Tax revenues aren't static.. you can lower them and take in considerably more money. The mistake people make when thinking about the economy is that it is static.. its not, it grows..

Its amazing that the same people who would criticize Bush for starving school children by not raising spending ENOUGH, now criticize him for spending too much. If he was cutting spending, people would be going nuts saying he was killing senior citizens.

When conservatives increase spending, its irresponsible.. when democrats do it, its compasionate.. when conservatives cut taxes, its giving to the rich, when democrats do it, its for the middle class and poor.
When Conservatives incease spending the way the Dub has they are no longer fiscally conservative.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

When Conservatives incease spending the way the Dub has they are no longer fiscally conservative.

Shouldn't that make democrats like him? Or is spending only good when THEY do it?

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003

Shouldn't that make democrats like him? Or is spending only good when THEY do it?

Well hes not spending it on the "right stuff"
:)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

If Bush is going to win some Democrats better like him as he will need some of their votes to retain his job!

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
Crimson I know what you're saying and what many people dont understand is that while the national debt is going up a lot so is our GDP. In fact, the national debt isnt as big as everyone makes out compared to our GDP. There will always be different views and thus different criticisms about how much we should be taxed and even more so - where the money should go.

I believe we could be taxed less and still provide all of the national benefits to the people. We just need less government programs that are tax funded. For me its not about the party involved in increasing or decreasing the taxes. I think we have too many government programs that everyone is forced to fund in taxes but dont benefit but a few special groups.

As for Bush, I just dont understand all of his logic. Sometimes he seems like he is headed in one direction and then he comes out with a new plan and does a 180. I am conservative btw.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Crimson I know what you're saying and what many people dont understand is that while the national debt is going up a lot so is our GDP. In fact, the national debt isnt as big as everyone makes out compared to our GDP. There will always be different views and thus different criticisms about how much we should be taxed and even more so - where the money should go.

I believe we could be taxed less and still provide all of the national benefits to the people. We just need less government programs that are tax funded. For me its not about the party involved in increasing or decreasing the taxes. I think we have too many government programs that everyone is forced to fund in taxes but dont benefit but a few special groups.

As for Bush, I just dont understand all of his logic. Sometimes he seems like he is headed in one direction and then he comes out with a new plan and does a 180. I am conservative btw.

I think its called politics. Hes following the rise and fall of whats hot and whats not so he can win. I thought thats what they all did.
Kerry has sure as hell become more serious and presidential this week hasnt he?

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
Yeah its true... in this case though GWB is being hugely criticized for spending so much... how would it be politically sound to keep spending like he is during an election year? Doesnt sound like smart politics to me.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah its true... in this case though GWB is being hugely criticized for spending so much... how would it be politically sound to keep spending like he is during an election year? Doesnt sound like smart politics to me.
Hey what's he got to lose, the Republicans are still going to vote for him no matter how much he spends!

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Hey what's he got to lose, the Republicans are still going to vote for him no matter how much he spends!

Which doesnt make sence to me since they Like to claim to be a party of principle. Atleast thats the way many of the blowhards on the Tv and radio paint it. How "Principle" is it to vote for someone that is against the base of your group.

That is whay These people and many on this board are tranparant. They are nothing but party hacks, selling their soul because of an addiction to power. they cant give up the power.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Bush is a democrat with conservative leanings

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare

actually on a political meater he is real close to a neo-liberal.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: smashp

He's about complete opposite of me, the only thing he has going for him is his foreign policy and his refusal to drop his trousers and take one from the UN

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003

He's about complete opposite of me, the only thing he has going for him is his foreign policy and his refusal to drop his trousers and take one from the UN

I agree with telling the Un to Stick it. We have our laws.

but i realize it was a major diplomatic failure in getting much wanted support. I guess at yale, George slept during marketing.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

I agree with telling the Un to Stick it. We have our laws.

but i realize it was a major diplomatic failure in getting much wanted support. I guess at yale, George slept during marketing.

The sooner we pull out of the UN the better, it has become nothing more than a soapbox to condemn the West. Maybe if we can get other countries to pull out and join a new and improved version in which countries committing atrocities towards mankind are not on the human rights committee, we would be in a much better place. This is almost reason enough to vote for the man. Totally despise his open wallet approach to government and pretty much everything else though. The best I can say about him is he's not Dean, Kerry or Clark. The only reason I voted for him in 2000 was because he wasn't Gore. It seems like in every recent presidential election year it has become a lesser of 2 evils affair.