Things that are exciting to you when you're an adult

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Why do you need to refinance to a 20 year to pay it off early? Unless you are saving a bunch on rate the fees will just be extra principle or up front money.

You can always pay extra on a 30 year and even a little goes a long way in cutting years off a loan.

A lot of loans lately are structured so you can't pay off the principle early (they actually send me refunds for overpayments).

Anyway, the 20 year vs. 30 year is a win win:

1: Pay it off 5 years early
2: Interest rate is 1.5% lower = $88000 savings over 20 years
3: Lower rate means the payment is about the same as it is now
4: I'll be able to get rid of PMI because of the way the financing worked out

There was no wrong thing about that decision.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
A home mortgage should never have a prepayment penalty after the first 3-5 years and in some states they are totally illegal. However; when sending in extra payments they need to be clarified and marked for principal.

In this day and age, not many banks are denying extra money.

Being your rate dropped more than a percent it's a good thing. Being you got rid of PMI is also good.

Still for most going with a 30 year is a smarter move and still allows for just as fast a pay off.

You can always pay more on a 30 year usually, but never less on a 20 year.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I installed a new wooden railing for the second flight of stairs in my house tonight and thought I was the shit. I felt all handy.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
My Bipap machine arriving. A good nights sleep is something you will miss if it is ever taken away from you.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
watching an HDD defrag, extirpating malware and virus' from a computer, waiting at the DMV, finding the right light bulb and fixture, cleaning tile grout, getting high fuel economy, and inflating tires to sidewall.. oh wait, those are things I've always found to be exciting, adult or not..

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
watching an HDD defrag, extirpating malware and virus' from a computer, waiting at the DMV, finding the right light bulb and fixture, cleaning tile grout, getting high fuel economy, and inflating tires to sidewall.. oh wait, those are things I've always found to be exciting, adult or not..

If you get all hot and bothered by fuel economy and tire inflation you've got some issues.

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
I have to admit I am not really into video games anymore either. Never thought I would see the day.

this =(

edit: oh, wait....what we dig. Shit, a quiet night of having a drink and watching the tube.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If you get all hot and bothered by fuel economy and tire inflation you've got some issues.

:( I love checking my fuel mileage each tank and keeping the car at spec. My 2009 Corolla LE gets 38 mpg, avg speed 35MPH. When my wife drives, 33 mpg..

Things I get excited about:

1. getting out of work early and getting a jump on yardwork.
2. operation take back my yard, previous house owners didn't fight back the brush, so i get to have at it!
3. spending time with the wife and kid(soon to be kids). nothing better than a 3 year old running full force into when you get home and giving you a bear hug, then begging for a wrestling match...lol
4. bedtime

Last edited:

EricMartello

Apr 17, 2003
Yeah man, you're boring.

And why bother refinancing to 20-yr instead of 15-yr...the different in payments should be negligible.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005

Adult? I thought you were a kid. I don't mean that to sound insulting in any way, but that's just what I gathered from your posts and replies to them.

I'm excited to get new stuff. It was exciting to get a new dining-room table, new riding mower, new keyboard and mouse, and new video card (coming tomorrow!).

I know a lot of people say that the excitement of things wears off, but they usually only do that for me if it's something that doesn't last very long (like vacations, clothes that get holes in them quickly, sunglasses that I closed in a car door :(, etc.). When it's things like computer and HT equipment, I appreciate those things for years and get a lot of enjoyment out of them. I still really enjoy my 3yo TV, PS3, and HT setup and my 10yo computer speakers. I plan to get years of enjoyment out of the above purchases, and I'm pretty close to having all of the "stuff" that I want.

Now, it's time to save up for a car when my current one(s) dies.

jeanclaude

Jan 28, 2010
Good single malt
Meeting up with friends, shooting pool / playing snooker, drinking far to many beers. Good beers - proper Trappist, especially tripels
Taking my motorcycle out on a Sunday morning and opening it way up in the Wallonian countryside. No traffic, clean air, fucking brilliant. Mountains are good but farther away.
Lazy afternoon sex

and oddly - fixing things. Diving into projects and getting dirty.

and watching my hard drive defrag. (seriously wtf?)

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
how do you have a '79 Monte Carlo with only 80K miles??

and watching my hard drive defrag. (seriously wtf?)

It's kind of like organizing a room, your filing cabinet or whatever without actual work involved aside from making sure you have no processes accessing the fragmented files and making sure the drive isn't producing read-write errors. Oh and also making sure you have enough disk space for the defrag to occur. These are all important things for good file defragmentation.

Last edited:

jeanclaude

Jan 28, 2010

Extirpating malware??

Failbag done found his thesaurus again. Easy there little fella.
You is using big boy words. I don't want to see you hurt yourself - again.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Extirpating malware??

Failbag done found his thesaurus again. Easy there little fella.
You is using big boy words. I don't want to see you hurt yourself - again.
No one knows you and no one likes you, stop posting. Oh and I know you're going to retort with something smarmy like "oh the irony" but the truth of the matter is, someone likes me and EVERYONE knows me..

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
how do you have a '79 Monte Carlo with only 80K miles??

My wife's grandma bought it new, but she didn't drive much at all (like one day a week). Then, she got sick, and the car sat for the last 5 years of her life. My wife's grandpa sold it to us about 5 years ago, and we drive it sparingly trying to make it last forever.

We drive it even less now because we have a son who's in a car seat, and don't want to hassle with moving a car seat into it. We already have car seats in our other two vehicles, so it's kind of an unnecessary vehicle right now. It's not like we're going to get rid of it though.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
No one knows you and no one likes you, stop posting. Oh and I know you're going to retort with something smarmy like "oh the irony" but the truth of the matter is, someone likes me and EVERYONE knows me..

Most everyone knows who the serial killer John Wayne Gacy was, too, but nobody liked that clown either.

[imglink]http://www.fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/john-wayne-gacy.jpg[/imglink]

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001

Fleabag you're even more of a douche for using a word like extirpating in place of removing. Needlessly substituting uncommonly used words so you sound intelligent = douchery

I think your tires are filled a little too tight

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Oh hell ya! I forgot about that! Freshly inflated tires that are giving the maximum fuel efficiency! I enjoy that too and actually dedicate a lot of thought to it while driving.

:( I used to think about girls.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Hmmm I get satisfaction from finishing a job but I don't look forward to any of that crap.

Things that excite me:
-Getting my kids in bed and being able to sit up with the neighbor BSing, drinking whiskey and playing chess
-Having a couple hours to relax by myself (usually becomes gaming time)
-Playing a game of basketball or tennis.
-New books from good authors
-taking the family to the waterpark or beach
-Grilling Ribs

Things which used to excite me and don't anymore:
-Building a computer
-fixing a computer
-Writing my own version of apps which someone else has already written.

Last edited:

jeanclaude

Jan 28, 2010

Failbag- if popularity was used as a metric to grant or remove posting privileges then you would have been tossed on your flabby Costco sardine eating ass a long time ago.

I suspect 10-20% of this forum might not make that cut. But that is not the point. Nor is being known. Let’s be honest, what do we really know about the people who post on this forum? Perhaps a location, some background information, skill sets, random opinions etc. One chooses what he or she wants to share and that is the point. Anonymity grants some freedom of expression and risk taking. For fucks sake, it grants you an audience that you know a) you would never develop in the real world and b) membership to a group that pays FAR more attention and time responding than is legitimately deserved given the inanity of some of your topics and /or observations. You willfully, on almost a daily basis, violate many of the pragmatic conventions that govern forum discourse but the Mods (usually) allow it to continue – presumably for shit and giggles. No real harm and no real foul. And boatloads of entertainment for the rest of us.

Everyone certainly knows you. That is for sure. And you’ve even managed to turn fleabag into a verb. Impressive. How many people can put that on their CV?

You are truly vox idiota Fleabag.

Now scamper off and play outside. I assume it is going to be a nice day where you live.

Last edited: