Thin mini-ITX cases? Where?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I use a Streacom chassis that are distributed in the United States on this site:
http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/Streacom-chassis-and-parts_c40.htm

The Akasa one that you linked to is interesting (and much cheaper), but the only negative aspect that I can see is that it's limited to thin-ITX boards only. Those are the types that take SO-DIMMs instead of normal DIMMs, etc. It also doesn't fit any external cards, which you can use at least one in a Streacom case. It all depends on which case you go for as they have larger ones as well.

rob_lh

Feb 26, 2013
Hey VirtualLarry, this is Rob L'Heureux, one of the Intel engineers responsible for Thin Mini-ITX. I've been tracking Thin Mini-ITX at least here in the US to get a sense of availability. While I'm mostly focused on the AIO chassis, I understand the appeal to HTPC as well. The Akasa Euler is incredibly creative, and I'm always interested in seeing how people are adopting and tinkering with the tech. For that matter, here are some of the other ones I've seen for sale in the US. I can't speak to specifics of any of the below, as I have not spent much time with them. However, my understanding is that the chassis are designed for use with our DH61AG or DQ77KB board, though those are also totally interoperable with the Gigabyte GA-H77TN and GA-B75TN boards.

To that end, I know the Lian Li PC-Q05B is offered through NewEgg. The Assassin HTPC Blog reviewed this too with some good pictures.

NewEgg also has the Silverstone PT12B.

Lastly, there are a number of vendors selling the In-Win K1 on Amazon.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Newegg has a couple of thin mITX cases, like rob_lh mentioned above.

I've found this site to be a very useful resource in leading me to mITX vendors: http://www.fanlesstech.com/

From Fanless Tech I was able to find my favorite thin mITX case on the market today, the Akasa Cypher. Sidewinder PC is the only vendor of the Cypher in the US.

I like the Cypher because of it's minimum aesthetics, and it has a narrower dimension due to no optical drive. There is also a fan grate in the top.

Last edited:

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I use a Streacom chassis that are distributed in the United States on this site:
http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/Streacom-chassis-and-parts_c40.htm

The Akasa one that you linked to is interesting (and much cheaper), but the only negative aspect that I can see is that it's limited to thin-ITX boards only. Those are the types that take SO-DIMMs instead of normal DIMMs, etc. It also doesn't fit any external cards, which you can use at least one in a Streacom case. It all depends on which case you go for as they have larger ones as well.

I agree. I've looked at Streacom chassises, and they are very aesthetically awesome. Precision CNC'd and spec'd for up to 95W fanless. But they also start at $160. And I note that, because the heat pipes are integrated into the chassis, they will only accept specific motherboard models. Nice deal, but I'll focus on cheaper, more open cases for now.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I agree. I've looked at Streacom chassises, and they are very aesthetically awesome. Precision CNC'd and spec'd for up to 95W fanless. But they also start at $160. And I note that, because the heat pipes are integrated into the chassis, they will only accept specific motherboard models. Nice deal, but I'll focus on cheaper, more open cases for now.

I've found that the biggest issue with the heat pipes is watching where your ports are. With my motherboard, the heat pipes run directly over SATA Port 0/1, which makes using them a bit tough. I actually bought a SATA cable with a built-in curve to make the installation a bit easier.

I like the Wesena case myself. Looks good, works good.

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/Wesena-ITX-chassis_c55.htm

My biggest problem with the Wesena was trying to find a very quiet cooler (preferably 120mm given their higher CFM vs. decibel ratings) that would actually fit in the case. :( That's why I ended up going with Streacom, but it is really weird not hearing anything spin-up when you turn the computer on.

ecosmartpc

Aug 15, 2012
www.ecosmartpc.com
Hey VirtualLarry, this is Rob L'Heureux, one of the Intel engineers responsible for Thin Mini-ITX. I've been tracking Thin Mini-ITX at least here in the US to get a sense of availability. While I'm mostly focused on the AIO chassis, I understand the appeal to HTPC as well. The Akasa Euler is incredibly creative, and I'm always interested in seeing how people are adopting and tinkering with the tech. For that matter, here are some of the other ones I've seen for sale in the US. I can't speak to specifics of any of the below, as I have not spent much time with them. However, my understanding is that the chassis are designed for use with our DH61AG or DQ77KB board, though those are also totally interoperable with the Gigabyte GA-H77TN and GA-B75TN boards.

To that end, I know the Lian Li PC-Q05B is offered through NewEgg. The Assassin HTPC Blog reviewed this too with some good pictures.

NewEgg also has the Silverstone PT12B.

Lastly, there are a number of vendors selling the In-Win K1 on Amazon.

Then a BIG thank you to you for thin mini-ITX! I can't believe how many problems with small cases having the DC-DC power onboard solves.

I have the Euler case and a couple of DH61AG boards I am looking forward to trying when I get the time. It's not easy having the stuff sitting on my shelf.

rob_lh

Feb 26, 2013
Then a BIG thank you to you for thin mini-ITX! I can't believe how many problems with small cases having the DC-DC power onboard solves.

I have the Euler case and a couple of DH61AG boards I am looking forward to trying when I get the time. It's not easy having the stuff sitting on my shelf.

I will pass along your thanks to our very smart engineers that made it all possible! There are lots of tradeoffs we made for SFF/All-in-One PCs that solve power/thermal/mechanical problems when you try to get that small. That Euler case is something else too.

I hope you like your system when it's all done. I'm always curious what people are doing with them - would you mind posting a pic when it's all done? If you're on Twitter, feel free to hit me up @rob_lh. That seems to be the easiest way for people to track me down with Thin Mini-ITX questions, otherwise I'm just googling like crazy.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
From Fanless Tech I was able to find my favorite thin mITX case on the market today, the Akasa Cypher. Sidewinder PC is the only vendor of the Cypher in the US.

I like the Cypher because of it's minimum aesthetics, and it has a narrower dimension due to no optical drive. There is also a fan grate in the top.

I don't see how the CPU heatsinks to the chassis in that case. Is there a slim-profile heatsink + fan combo that would work for a slim mini-ITX 1155 board?

rob_lh

Feb 26, 2013
I don't see how the CPU heatsinks to the chassis in that case. Is there a slim-profile heatsink + fan combo that would work for a slim mini-ITX 1155 board?

To directly answer your question, there is a low profile cooler: HTS1155LP Low Profile Thermal Solution.

However, the manufacturer intended for that particular case to be fanless (and therefore restricted to 35 W CPUs). You can check out a build over at SilentPC Review. (Also, a disclaimer that this isn't a guarantee on how it will perform. It's not one we've tested but judging from other forums, it seems to be staying inside a safe operating temperature under normal operating conditions.)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Atom makes for a subpar product for any kind of a real desktop. However, I think a motherboard like a Thin Mini-ITX could be more versatile. I could see a Case design with a cutout in the center of the board, everything except the mounting screws, could allow for placement of RAM and MSATA on the bottom of the motherboard like a Mobile or Laptop motherboard. This could be a better design especially if you want more SATA or USB3 ports. Plus it might make it easier to work on. Consider this a take on how Intel made the designed for the NUC concept. Just pop off the back panel and upgrade the RAM and SSD.

Seems like all the Cases reviewed at Anandtech are of the variety of how can the user make a Gaming MITX Computer. My last two computers were without a Video card. As far as I am concerned, a big box of a computer case is just something that will fill up a landfill.

Last edited:

gaidin43

Jan 30, 2012
Has anyone seen a thin mini itx case that can have a slim bluray drive as well and one 2.5 drive bay?

iMemories

Jan 6, 2016
My build with this case
Asus H81T R2 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-4770S
8Gb 1600Mhz RAM
256Gb mSATA SSD
1Tb SSHD
WI-FI Broadcom

8230727.jpg